Posted September 03, 2014
I love this School. The teacher's here really care about you and your children. It is very multicultural and the office staff are very friendly and helpful. I have 2 children enrolled in the school and they both love it.

Posted June 02, 2014
We were new to Short Ave. this year. Our daughter was a first grader and didn't know anyone at this school. The wonderful principal Mrs. Paulos took the time to sit with her on the first days when tears were falling and made her feel loved and a since of belonging. Her teacher Mrs.Trapnell is an amazing and fun teacher. We love the since of community here. Highly recommend this school.

Posted May 30, 2014
Short Avenue is a great school in a great community. The only reason this is not already one of the schools that people are waiting in line for is the largely unsubstantiated testing scandal that invalidated the school's API scores for two years in a row. The school has recovered, though, has a great principal who has made many positive changes in her two years so far, and a small but very dedicated group of parent volunteers. This school is already among the best in LAUSD, and I predict it will become very hard to permit into within a year or two.

Posted October 24, 2013
Just a few short years ago (no pun intended), parents in our neighborhood in Mar Vista had very scant options when it came to local elementary schools -- but Short has changed that. Due to an influx of committed parents joining forces with a core group of passionate and committed teachers and administrators, Short has become a safe space where children can learn and grow in a creative and supportive environment. It is what public school education is supposed to be.

Posted June 09, 2013
In researching schools from charter to private, I learned about a quiet little gem, right in my own back yard. I sent my son to the outstanding SLRDP preschool here, but had not truly considered it further until the following year when I was performing my due diligence. The thing that struck me most about Short Avenue wasn t the inspired Reading Garden or the fabulous new library but the *strength and caliber of the teachers*. Every classroom I observed, I was delighted to find an experienced teacher worthy of entrusting my son s education to, a teacher who seemed to shine a little brighter. The other thing that stood out was the parents the degree of their involvement, commitment and dedication. In 2012-2013 we were graced with a new, passionate, caring and focused leader with a vision to guide our beloved little school back on track towards our distinguished school goal. My first grader is easily doing second grade math and reading on a third grade level. His teacher radiates exceptional qualities considered by some as a once-in-a-life-time teacher. How very blessed we are here at our charming neighborhood school.

Short Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted May 27, 2013
A breeding ground of mediocrity. The extreme disorganization and jaded attitude of the administration is alarming. Since placing my child in a different educational situation, he has thrived. I am so relieved to witness the proof that my suspicions about this place were right. If your child has an ounce of critical thinking ability or creativity, think twice before you consider stifling his/her spirit at this epitome of the American institution.

Posted April 25, 2013
The Science Mania Fair this year (2013) was outstanding! Kids prepared rocket blasts, mold farms, salty water buoyance tests, checked plant growth in all imaginable conditions, checked the number of seeds in different types of apples, compared biometric parameters of hands, looked at DNA and 300 more other experiments all presented at the SHORT AVE ELEMENTARY Science Mania this year. And this is one of the reasons why our 3 kids are at this school- OUR school, our community school. They love the school, the teachers, and the principal. On the side note- the involved parents are doing fantastic job- raised money for arts program (among other things). Thank you, involved parents!!!!

Posted April 11, 2013
Excerpted from Dr. John Deasy's endorsement letter to prospective parents 4/5/2013: " I have walked through the classrooms of this school and observed examples of first rate-rate teaching where students are engaged and actively learning ... I could feel the strong sense of community in the school among teachers, students and parents ... the academic performance of the school is strong. Our internal calculations estimate that the API for 2011 would have been 864 (not counting the invalidated scores), and for the 2012, the school would have scored 834...I am proud of the new principal, Cindy Paulos, and all that she has accomplished in the past year. She is a strong instructional lead and well-respected by the staff and parents. Ms. Paulos has also developed monitoring procedures to ensure that there will be no issues with testing this year. As you tour the school and interact with the teachers, staff and students, you will recognize the sense of dedication and devotion from all stakeholders. I am convinced that Short Ave. will be the best choice for your child." [Interesting to note, just losing a blank test booklet is considered an irregularity.]

Posted February 04, 2013
Del Rey families, as you're considering where to send your kids next year, don't overlook Short Avenue! Before you make a decision, visit the school. Meet the principal. Talk to the parents. Hear about how incredible and hard working our teachers are. Allow yourself to be surprised, rather than dismissing your neighborhood school outright. Did you know that we have art education in all grades? A beautiful library? A school-wide science fair? Ballroom dance? Gifted and Talented programs? What we can offer is only limited by the imagination of the dedicated teachers and parents who put the time in to make things happen. We're on the other side of a couple of rocky years, and have only good things in store moving forward, led by a principal who is as dedicated to our students as any leader across LAUSD. My family and I are reminded daily that we made the best decision for our daughter in choosing Short over a charter or private school -- a wonderful school that we can walk to. Walk!! We've lived in this neighborhood for 13 years, and have never felt so much a part of it as we have at Short the last couple of years. I can't wait to see what the next few years bring.

Posted November 08, 2012
THE most charming, nieghborhood school that is sure to ease your mind as your children learn in a nurtured atmosohere. This hidden gem of a school is wrapped in the arms of wonderful teachers eager to teach, proven by API scores of the same and higher magnitude of past years that were swept out from underneath them, a new principal anxious to prove that an inspired leader can reproduce elevated API scores as well as school moral, and empathetic parents willing to forget the past and forge forward under new administration. Parental involvement is the essence of this alluring Pre-K through grade 6 school. Though it's a core group of supportive parents and relatives that carry the majority of the responsibility of holding fun-raisers, carnivals, and entertainment, it is brought on by ourselves and is truley gratifying. We are all just parents with the same goal; for our children to get a powerful education in a atmosphere balanced between adequate nurturing and discipline all the while having fun and being able to embrace the innocence of childhood. I think we are achieving this. My son's beaming eyes and ear to ear smiles as he reads daily is my reassurance of a well made decision.

Short Avenue Elementary School
12814 Maxella Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90066
Last modified Short Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Short Avenue Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 80 reviews. Top