Bad
Good

We started at Third Street and then had to move to Valley View for one year - couldnt have been happier when we got to move back to Third St. Such great parent involvement, the PTA, the FOT - the staff, the teachers, very happy with my daughters being here.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are very engaged and available at 3rd Street. So far, we have been very happy with everyone who teaches there. Also, the teachers do a lot to help with fun activities like science fair, art, theater productions and just generally the stuff that makes elementary school memorable for kids.

Amount of homework: Agree

I like that the school provides online resources for the kids to practice in addition to regular worksheets.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers here seem very open and fair. I think the students pick up on that and emulate that way of dealing with each other. Overall the climate of the school feels very open/honest and if students have disagreements/issues they are treated with respect and encouraged to voice their thoughts.

3rd Street is a great neighborhood school, and my child loves it here! For such a small school, they have tons of programs and the staff is top notch. The students do art, drama, music, PE, computer lab and library time each week. Homework is kind of a chore but maybe that's ok. The teachers really keep you in the loop so you know where your child is academically/socially. The parents are super involved and they have an onsite after school program. It's nice to know we have a school were everyone is welcome to be involved and the children are so comfortable and challenged. The test scores are pretty good and overall our experience has been super positive.

I graduated from 3rd Street in 1949, and it seems as if it's still the same great school now as it was then. It was always in an affluent area. Don't remember any bullying though. Maybe we called it something else.

Third Street is not a perfect school, but you will not find a better example of collaborative teaching than the production of the Fourth Grade play. All four classes have it's own cast; Mr. Pratt gets each student to shine in his role, and each teacher rallies the parents to assist with sets and costumes. The hard work of Mrs. Cha, Mrs. Choi, Mr. Bassett, and Mr. Karchmer is evident in the final productions. Every student at the school is inspired by the performances. It is truly remarkable! And, a testament to the importance of the arts in public school.

My son attends third street elementary, this is a phenomenal school. The teacher's are amazing!

My oldest attended Third Street from K-5th grade, my youngest from K & is currently in 4th grade. This is an Amazing School. Hands down. A focused & passionate principal, teachers, active parents & FOT a 501 C3 Non Profit, that fills in all the Basic needs that LAUSD has CUT (Proper Custodial, Full Time Librarian, PE Supervision on playground since 2012) & Beyond-State of the Art Tech Lab, Music, Art & Theater, Field Trips & Teacher Stipends. All these cost $$, Public school is not Free, it requires Both Labor & Funds to round out our children's educational experience. This school is almost 90 years old with an Amazing track record, history & in my eyes has never been better. Sure, Parents are Not Prefect in their Approach in addressing these Serious $ or Labor intensive needs & a few teachers are not a good match for your child, but given the Option Annual Giving amount (less than $100 a month) & what this school pulls off, it's a miracle. My 7th grader has not dipped Academically And goes to an Arts Magnet w/ Honors classes. I believe that Third St. has properly prepared both my children for the future & sometimes that required 2 hours of Homework till we figured it out.

I feel compelled to comment on some of the previous postings. My older son attended Third Street and my younger one is currently there. Is the school perfect? Of course not! and Yes, a lot of parents are affluent [God bless them I say], but some of us are plain middle class working stiffs. Fundraising is emphasized because unlike other schools, this schools does not receive a lot of extra funding from the district. The lab, teachers' aides, and the library is fully funded from these funds! But more importantly, everything is VOLUNTARY. If you have an issue please attend the parents meetings and VOICE your concerns. I don't contribute every year, but I make sure I donate my time by helping in the school clean up and whatever else I can find time to on top of my 50 hours of work. The school's janitorial staff was largely reduced due to cuts and it was only recently reinstated to levels last seen before the financial crisis. My son enjoys being at the school and I think the administration and teachers do a superb job! Again, if you have a specific concern, talk to the Principal, your child's teacher and come to the meetings and express your concerns or suggestions openly. Good luck..

Last modified Third Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.