Posted May 27, 2014
I graduated from 3rd Street in 1949, and it seems as if it's still the same great school now as it was then. It was always in an affluent area. Don't remember any bullying though. Maybe we called it something else.

Third Street Elementary School 4

Posted May 22, 2014
Third Street is not a perfect school, but you will not find a better example of collaborative teaching than the production of the Fourth Grade play. All four classes have it's own cast; Mr. Pratt gets each student to shine in his role, and each teacher rallies the parents to assist with sets and costumes. The hard work of Mrs. Cha, Mrs. Choi, Mr. Bassett, and Mr. Karchmer is evident in the final productions. Every student at the school is inspired by the performances. It is truly remarkable! And, a testament to the importance of the arts in public school.

Posted April 11, 2014
My son attends third street elementary, this is a phenomenal school. The teacher's are amazing!

Posted December 09, 2013
My oldest attended Third Street from K-5th grade, my youngest from K & is currently in 4th grade. This is an Amazing School. Hands down. A focused & passionate principal, teachers, active parents & FOT a 501 C3 Non Profit, that fills in all the Basic needs that LAUSD has CUT (Proper Custodial, Full Time Librarian, PE Supervision on playground since 2012) & Beyond-State of the Art Tech Lab, Music, Art & Theater, Field Trips & Teacher Stipends. All these cost $$, Public school is not Free, it requires Both Labor & Funds to round out our children's educational experience. This school is almost 90 years old with an Amazing track record, history & in my eyes has never been better. Sure, Parents are Not Prefect in their Approach in addressing these Serious $ or Labor intensive needs & a few teachers are not a good match for your child, but given the Option Annual Giving amount (less than $100 a month) & what this school pulls off, it's a miracle. My 7th grader has not dipped Academically And goes to an Arts Magnet w/ Honors classes. I believe that Third St. has properly prepared both my children for the future & sometimes that required 2 hours of Homework till we figured it out.

Posted November 09, 2013
I feel compelled to comment on some of the previous postings. My older son attended Third Street and my younger one is currently there. Is the school perfect? Of course not! and Yes, a lot of parents are affluent [God bless them I say], but some of us are plain middle class working stiffs. Fundraising is emphasized because unlike other schools, this schools does not receive a lot of extra funding from the district. The lab, teachers' aides, and the library is fully funded from these funds! But more importantly, everything is VOLUNTARY. If you have an issue please attend the parents meetings and VOICE your concerns. I don't contribute every year, but I make sure I donate my time by helping in the school clean up and whatever else I can find time to on top of my 50 hours of work. The school's janitorial staff was largely reduced due to cuts and it was only recently reinstated to levels last seen before the financial crisis. My son enjoys being at the school and I think the administration and teachers do a superb job! Again, if you have a specific concern, talk to the Principal, your child's teacher and come to the meetings and express your concerns or suggestions openly. Good luck..

Third Street Elementary School 1

Posted September 05, 2013
This school is so disappointing. I know most of the families who live in this neighborhood are affluent, but for them to be so controlling??? I agree with the parent review dated august 8 2012. These parents always ask for monetary contributions/donations. I opened my son's homework folder to find an envelope asking for money so the cleaning lady will clean classrooms year round. Don't they have custodians/janitors employed by the school to do this? Why pay extra for another cleaning lady? I'm afraid this is only the beginning. I hope anything, like this will be discussed first with all parents before sneaking an empty envelope to a child"s homework folder. I confirmed with another teacher from another public school that teachers and janitors help each other in classroom maintenance and cleanliness.The teachers in this school probably don't want to get their hands dirty. And since a lot of parents are rich, it's easy for them to just say say to this donations. What about the other parents who are just getting by from paycheck to paycheck? It;s hard to just give money away for their ridiculous reason.

Posted August 24, 2013
My daughter just started the kindergarten this school. First of all, parents who are volunteering, do not let the teacher do her job. Teacher just sit and volunteer parents do her all stuffs. Even grading....its kindergarten but volunteer parents do not see that 5 years old kid is trying her best to assignment. If she erased a lot in order to write nice ....she gets 3- or less color then 2.. Why there is no encouragement? Then continuously asking donation... for teacher and school? For donation, omg so much hustle. Right now i am not really happy with this school.

Posted June 15, 2013
This schools high API scores lull parents into thinking it s a great school when it isn t. The neighborhood socioeconomics and a high percentage of students attending after-school educational facilities will always bolster the API. Big problems are that the school lacks administrative leadership (hard to determine who s in charge) and strong teacher community (resulting in low teacher morale). The principal was too busy to attend an important school bullying meeting or decide if the technology lab had violated federal policy by giving emails and passwords to students without parental permission. Results are that some school policy and mediation are shockingly deferred to parent volunteers. Some teachers are great but parents warn each other who to avoid, including teachers that are burned-out, use TV as a babysitter, screamers, and the disengaged (who spend more time on personal laptops and less on instruction). By fourth grade there is an exodus for charters, magnets and private schools which is sad because this school should be great. Enrollment is kept up by issuing permits that are not offered publicly.

Posted May 23, 2013
My child has been at 3rd Street for three years. It's been a great three years socially and academically. The teachers have been amazing, challenging, engaging, warm and professional. There is indeed an effort to make sure children prepare for the annual state testing, but in a way I find to be completely appropriate -- what is tested is what should have been learned that year, so why not test?! The curriculum is traditional -- rigorous study of language arts and mathematical concepts -- and uses those core skills to explore social studies and physical sciences. Thanks to district programs and parent-funded providers, my child benefits from visual arts, music, drama and technology "pull-out" classes during the school day, as well. Is everything perfect? No. It's chaotic and messy, as one might expect any place with 750 kids between 5 and 11 years old to be. Limited resources make sometimes routine things (fixing a lightbulb, trimming a tree) a bureaucratic challenge. But parents are invited to take ownership, to get involved and make a difference -- in whatever way they can. I, for one, have enjoyed the challenge, and think my child will leave the school well-rounded for it!

Posted August 08, 2012
At first the school appeared warm and inviting, but it became clear early on that the parents run the school and decide the outcome of many programs. It was obvious by the School Site Council, FOT, PTA, and KDLP program that if you were not a part of one of these groups or cliques, then you would not get much say or opportunity at this school. For working parents, this school is average at best when it comes to allowing different ideas for programs. They could benefit from hosting a meeting in the evening occasionally instead of always in the early mornings which is very difficult for a working parent. If this were the only issue, I would not comment. The school bullying plays a huge part of the school climate. Parents bully other parents to conform and donate, donate, donate money all the time. There were at least 3 counts of harassment that my child experienced and bullying with the lack of adequate supervision on the yard. Teachers get a time for their lunch, but I think the school needs the teachers to supervise more on the yard. If the principal would reign in her parents who act like they run the school, I think Third Street would be much better off.

Third Street Elementary School
201 South June Street, Los Angeles, CA  90004
Last modified Third Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Third Street Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top