Los Angeles, CA

Posted May 13, 2015
We have now been at VV for 2 years. Our daughter is in 1st grade with a phenomenal teacher, Mr. Salmeron. This school is small, but mighty. I love how involved the parents and PTA are and how accessible all the teachers are. You never feel like just another cog in the wheel...each of us, parents and kids, is important. We are family. We have great fundraisers and do things that bigger, better funded schools don't even do. The after school programs are fantastic (FREE music classes with very dedicated instructors) and my daughter just thrives here. I couldn't ask for a better place for her. Any negative experiences written about here are really few and far between (and you know you can't please everyone!) and truly are the exception. I do find it really hard to believe some of the comments (especially about Ms. Alvy, who has a stellar reputation and is generally loved by all), but I respect everyone's right to their views. Just don't let a couple of negative comments cloud your thoughts about checking Valley View out...do check us out and see for yourself. It really is a GEM and I'm happy and extremely lucky to be a part of the VV Family.

Valley View Elementary School 1

Posted May 12, 2015
Unfortunately, my son and I had a terrible TK (Transitional Kindergarten) experience with his teacher at Valley View for the school year of 2014-2015. From my son's first day at school, the TK/K teacher (Ms. Alvy) had an abrasive attitude with my son, which culminated in an unprofessional and unacceptable rant directed towards me about my son and my choices for him. I believe that teachers need to respect each parent's right to raise children in their own way - her mindful rapport as a teacher is absolutely critical at this stage of their schooling. I am for a strict regimen at school, however, this type of conduct from a TK/Kindergarten teacher is unsatisfactory and ridiculous. I believe her behavior has not only been detrimental for my son, the other students and parents in the class, but it also reflects badly on the school as a whole. I'm disappointed because the PTA and other parents are wonderful! We really enjoyed the small community, however, I am looking for a different school for my son. This situation at Valley View has left a bad taste for both of us.

Posted April 26, 2015
I live in an undesirable school district. Two years before my son was due to go to kindergarten, a local Mom invited me to Valley View s annual fall festival on the school campus. This was my first visit to the school. I fell in love immediately with the small intimate campus, the parents, children, and overall familial spirit. Although I don't live close, I know that this is the prefect school for my three little ones. To date, my son's kindergarten experience has checked all of my boxes, and has added a great deal of quality to our lives.

Posted April 24, 2015
We LOVE LOVE LOVE this school. My daughter has thrived in the two years she has been here. They have this wonderful Accelerated Readers Program and in just 8 short months she has gone from reading a sentence or two (she is in first grade) to third grade level chapter books. Their (free) after school music program is amazing - she was singing Portuguese songs at her school festival! They have dance classes as well, art programs and a school musical at the end of the year!! Not to mention the incredibly involved and lovely PTA ladies. The class sizes are small, the teachers know all the kid's names, even if they are not in their class, and every morning is like coming over to family.

Valley View Elementary School 3

Posted April 24, 2015
This school started off great for my children but as years past I realized that the older my child got the more packed each grade level became. for some unknown reason there is a perfectly good teacher teaching a class of six graders. There are some amazing teachers in this school from Ms. Alvy, Ms. Galindo, Ms. Hoffer and Mr. Salmeron. These teachers strive to achieve and push your children and are remarkable.The after school program is one of the best a special shout out to Danilo for running a great program. Every year there are various fundraiser for the school, every year they try to save programs that are on the verge of being cut, from keeping a librarian on campus, updating the computer lab, keeping TA's on staff . the library should be the last resort.In an age of technological advancement Valley view is way behind. This school has taken an unfortunate turn downhill. The families that come to this school and the great teachers above are what make this school great!

Posted April 22, 2015
I am so lucky to have found this hidden gem of a school for my children. We had no idea this school existed when we moved into the Cahuenga Pass three years ago. We are in the kinder class and my daughter is thriving! She loves school, she loves her teacher and she loves her classmates. She wakes up daily so excited to go to school. Our teacher, Ms. Alvy has been teaching for 20+ years and 12 of those have been kindergarten. She knows what she is doing. My daughter is already reading. There is a lot of opportunity to be involved in the class and in the school. I volunteer weekly in the classroom. I volunteer for school events. I attend weekly PTA meetings. What you give, is what you get! And this school welcomes all to be involved.

Posted April 20, 2015
We are so lucky we found this school for our son who is now in 2nd grade. He has had 3 wonderful, caring teachers and a great learning experience at this small, friendly school with great test scores. There is a dedicated PTA, field trips, edible garden, great after school programs and so much more. This year we turned down a place at Melrose Magnet, a 5 minute walk from our house, to keep our son at Valley View because he is so happy and doing so well.

Valley View Elementary School 1

Posted January 26, 2015
If you care about your child , please don't send your child to this school.

Posted August 28, 2014
This school is the best kept secret in education. Small class sizes, a super active and enthusiastic PTA, and teachers who are accessible at all times. It is an open-door environment where everyone knows each other and works together as a real "village", so to speak. It is a wonderful place to watch children flourish!

Posted August 27, 2014
Moving from a small town to the big city, we were terrified about sending our son to school in LA. All of the private schools were too expensive and all of the charter and magnet schools had a waiting list too long to even attempt at. I did some research and found schools that offer the SAS program, these include schools with high API scores. Our son tested into both Franklin Avenue Elementary school and Valley View. Franklin Avenue is an incredibly tough school to get into and our son got in only through the SAS program and a lottery!! After careful consideration we chose Valley View and I wholeheartedly believe we made the best choice. Less than 250 students in grades TK-6?! We made instant friends with so many families here and I feel that I have made some lifelong friendships. This is now our second year at Valley View and I wouldn't choose anywhere else. Every parent puts their sweat and love into this school and with a staff that does the same our children have so many advantages.

Valley View Elementary School
6921 Woodrow Wilson Drive, Los Angeles, CA  90068
Last modified Valley View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 119 reviews. Top