School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am proud to be Principal of Vine Street Elementary School, wherein I was selected to lead after my good friend and colleague, Mr. Chris Stehr, retired this past June, 2015. Our school is poised and ready for steady academic growth, increased numbers of community partnerships, and high-volume parent engagement and empowerment. To our prospective parents and families: WE ARE YOUR neighborhood public school. Come visit us and take a tour...you'll end up enrolling your child. In addition to improving our instructional program to meet the unique learning needs of all of our students, our dedicated teachers and staff are amazing and caring adults and leaders. In addition to strengthening our Instructional core, I am proud of our school's efforts to build and implement an innovative, daily morning physical fitness, community-building, and academic readiness program, our "Vine Victory Laps!" program, a revamped Student-of-the-Month, Perfect Attendance, and Laps Trophies Awards Assembly evolution, new investments in textbooks to support our Music and Orchestra program and students, investments, improvements, and grant-writing to support our fully-functioning Computer Lab, iPad Lab, and Library media center, and a tripling of our investment in during-school and after-school academic intervention tutoring programs to support identified students in need of targeted academic support. We continue to build our parent engagement, volunteer opportunities, and education, too, through our classroom visits, schoolwide programs, Parent Center Workshops, and other events and activities. Join Us! Community investment and partnerships, too, will continue to increase. I encourage you to hang a banner on our fence to advertise your business/organization and our partnership! We are proud to announce that our new "DANCING CLASSROOMS of LOS ANGELES!" Ballroom Dancing Program for all of our 5th Grade Students, is well underway and is teaching our students wonderful skills and memories through social dance, cooperation, friendly competition, and artistic expression! We are on our way. Again, WE ARE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL! WE LOOK FORWARD TO SERVING YOUR CHILDREN AND FAMILIES, AND/OR PARTNERING WITH YOU AS WE CONTINUE TO BUILD OUR SCHOOL INTO A MODEL OF ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE and CITIZENSHIP. Respectful Regards, KURT S. LOWRY, ED.D., PRINCIPAL
March 08, 2016

Bad
Good

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 08, 2016

Our two children have attended pre-k, kindergarten and first grade at Vine Street. As Caucasians we wondered if being the 1% would present any problems for us or our children. But the staff and other parents made us feel right at home and the principal Mr. Stehr is the best you could hope for. Being in the middle of Hollywood this school offers a wonderful refuge for the children and is a beacon of light for the community. Go waste your money on private school if you want, but you don't need to. This is a public school we feel proud to call Our school.

Both of my kids attend this school. We love the warm and inviting staff/teachers. Mr.Stahr has been the best principal. He truly is good at his job and the kids love him. I would recommend this school to anyone!

My 2 kids have been attending Vine ES for 1 yr now and they have improved so much in every category compare to when they were attending Logan ES. The teachers at Vine are so helpful and somehow they are doing a grea job because I am amased on how much my daughters have learned. The only little problem I have is with LA's Best they need to be more organized for when parents pick up their children. It will be very helpfull if they keep all the sign in logs at the entrance of the building and have 2 people there one having the parents sign and the other calling through the walkie talkie to send the student down instead of having to go to different classes to find my daughters. Other than this Vine ES is the best school that my children have attended. Keep up the good work teachers and staff. I appreciate everyone including staff from LA's best because they are so nice and polite.

I have 3 kids going to this school, been araund for the last 10 years, and never seen anything like this year , there is agroup of parents working so hard that really makes a difference. so far we had 2 events halloween and thanksgiving just great...the school looked so festive and the kids so happy, what a diffence from others years and is all done by creative parents! good for everybody keep up the great job! you are making a better vine.

When they changed their principal at the start of school year 2008-2009, a lot of changes, mostly positive happened. He started a monthly recognition program that just motivated my 3 kids to excel in their studies and behavior. They have had musical concerts, math & spelling bee contests which I think are great steps towards molding wholistic educated individuals. I guess the space and funds support are what hinders for sports program to flourish. However, having taken small steps on the academic base, that dream of being athletically rounded may not be far off. I am just a happy and contented parent.

focus more on sports rather than academics and students' behavior. So if your kids are not athletes,this is not the school for your kid.

My child is new to this school and by far, I have encountered positive experiences with the staff. I have had a discrepancy or two and I must admit that the principal and many others are very professional, helpful, and on top of things. They go out of their way to get parents involved and they do a great job in keeping parents informed. My child has never been happier and that tells me they're doing something right. It makes me proud to say my child attends Vine St. Elementary.

Last modified Vine Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.