Warner Avenue Elementary School 2

Posted May 18, 2014
Warner ES has declined significantly since the new principal arrived in 2010. She has instituted absurd rules such as "no running", "no imaginary play" and practically tethered the kids to the benches during recess and lunch. The school has essentially become a prison where the kids are required to do a tremendous amount of rote memorization in anticipation of state tests, but virtually no free thinking or creative thought. Even in art classes, the kids are instructed to draw the same thing as the teacher rather than expressing themselves. The children mostly come from high-achieving, affluent backgrounds and, therefore, the parents are usually involved and the kids are motivated to do well. However, the restrictive environment grinds the students down regardless of their achievements. Plus, as with many schools on the west side of LA and Beverly Hills adjacent, there is a virtual culture war between Persian families and non-Persians. The two sides don't mix well - as parents or children - leaving one to feel estranged by the mere act of attending a birthday party. This is a sad review for me to write. Warner used to be fantastic but has now fallen far and hard.

Posted August 07, 2013
They have an excellent summer program. Very good crew for various classes, such as magic, cooking, etc. Highly recommended.

Posted January 10, 2013
Excellent school. My daughter attended K and a half a year of 1st grade. We only took her out of the school because we decided to move. While my daughter is attending another excellent school, it's from comparison. Warner's classroom is clean, orderly and the academics are great. I didn't appreciate Warner as much as I do now because I have something to compare it to.

Posted November 24, 2012
What are you parents thinking??? Neither do I donate any money, nor pay the yearly requested funds, due to my own financial difficulty. But, ALL the teachers AND staff AND Principal KNOW AND TREAT ME ROYALLY, and they all treat me with LOVE and RESPECT. There's obviously a misunderstanding between school needing $$ and them requiring it from you. Warner is known as well as PRIVATE SCHOOLS, and students are accepted EVERYWHERE! You're crazy to leave, or not enroll.

Warner Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted November 24, 2012
While looking into this school I was told that in order for my child to attend this so-called public school, we needed to pay the Parent "Organization" $1500. This is appalling. Upper Middle Class white people who prefer not to spend their "hard earned" income on private school collaborating to take advantage of the tax payers public system and collectively discriminate against people of lower socio-economic satus.

Posted June 01, 2012
The last comment is absolutely unfair and not true. My son was there for 2 years (4th and 5th grades). We are not wealthy and were never forced to give the school any money or were made feel uncomfortable in anyway. Not just that, but I remember the class helping (anonymously) a family that did not have funds for Christmas gifts. My son loooooves the school, and my husband and I as well. The academics are superb, the teachers great! The one thing we did not like about the school was the school yard - all cement!

Warner Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted November 06, 2011
A few decent teachers that treat all kids equally however the principal and most of the staff treat you depending on the amount of mony you donate to the school, This school has a low tolerance for any kind Of financial burden or any child that has any kind of disability it caters to the rich ONLY. I'm moving my kids to another school and asked the principal for a letter of recommendation, she refused and said " I don't know your daughter however I know you and your ex and trust me you wouldn't want me to write about the two of you " parents that walk into the office with check books are treated like royalty so if you're prepared to pay up, this school will welcome you with open .

Posted March 21, 2011
This is a serious elementary school: they know what they are doing! We moved to the district to go here, and I am so glad. Just wish I had done so earlier. The parents are so organized that the events are fabulous and they enable amazing programming for the children. I work at a private school and the education is of the same caliber. Open House showcases the amazing amount of work the kids do all year. Parents do get squeezed constantly for money but I have simply had to say I don't have it and my kids still benefit. That said, I'm trying to contribute as I can because I really do believe in the caliber of the school. They also have some sweet traditions--mentors between 5th and 1st grade, a Winter and Spring Sing, an impressive Halloween Haunt, fabulous trips and field trips, and the best-run auction I've been to (and I've been to quite a few). My current students still wax reminiscent about their Warner days. If you have a chance to have your child(ren) attend Warner, you're fortunate. Take full advantage: enroll, get involved, and don't look back!

Posted April 28, 2010
great school !!! my kids love it all the parents are so involved wish i had found it earlier!! BEST SCHOOL IN WESTWOOD!!

Posted March 30, 2010
Warner is really awfully good. The education is certainly on par with anything available at any private school in Los Angeles. Most of the students at Warner are from families that could easily afford private school tuition, but still choose Warner, which speaks volumes about the school. Children seem genuinely happy at Warner. Warner has a reputation for being somewhat stratified along economic lines, but I don't think that's accurate. Class size rivals that of any private school on the Westside. The money requests are bit out of hand, but I think you find that at any school, public or private. Warner's program is very complete - gym every day, art weekly, lots of computers and other types of electives. The faculty is generally wonderful. Warner was the top public school in LA (non magnet) and deserves its ranking.

Warner Avenue Elementary School
615 Holmby Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90024
Last modified Warner Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Warner Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 82 reviews. Top