Westport Heights Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted July 2, 2014

My son attends Westport Height and I think he is making outstanding progress. I have been a teacher for 16 years (at a different school). As such, I feel that I thoroughly know what it's like as a both a parent and a teacher in an elementary classroom. My son is excited about using his iPad in the classroom, sharing his science project with his peers, and even dancing during the cultural celebration assembly. My husband and I know that our young learner is having a great learning experience and that's exactly what we wanted. I am so glad that we took the time to get to know the teachers, staff and families for ourselves. Otherwise, we would have missed out on this great experience for our son.

Posted June 5, 2014

It's an excellent school. Lots of incentives to perform. The teachers are excellent and try to understand the children's needs. The Star afterschool program is great at Westport as well. They support the parents by trying to help the children with their homework. Our API score is 891. I am happy tor report my child is doing great here.

Posted September 30, 2013

Westport Heights is staffed with professional, knowledgeable, and creative teachers who work hard to deliver instructions to a variety of students. My son just began Kinder this year, but I was able to meet much of the staff during Back-To-School Night. Everyone was open, warm, and welcoming. I really wanted to get a feel for the school so I visited several grade levels so that I would know what to expect in the future. I was impressed with the quality of work that I saw in all of the classrooms.

Posted September 25, 2013

This school is great. My child is learning so much and it is located in a good residential area

Posted June 29, 2013

I wished this school would make changes, but it never did to my dismay. My child never said anything bad about school and the teacher would always do a day by day status (negative) behavior of my child and in return my child withdrew. My child is not one to act up, but something was not right. All I know the teacher(s) take sides before they know the complete story and do not try to solve it. It is your problem as a parent even though you have been a dedicated parent and attend events. I never knew the complete truth. Who are you supposed th believe? It might be too much to ask, while waiting for my child to get out of school with my younger child some of adults picking up kids were talking loud on phones and using lanuage that was not approciate - role models?

Posted June 25, 2013

As an educator, I have had the opportunity to teach all elementary grade levels, in public and private schools. I have chosen to work at Westport Heights because of its exceptional team of educators and supportive leadership, Mrs. Karen Long.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2013

Our son started his kindergarten year at Westport Heights and I am totally impressed with what he has learned so far! He is currently one of the top readers in his class and since he first started I can see a major transformation. I am impressed with the projects and work that the students learn and I love how Mrs Bishay teaches the children manners, encourages the children to learn, and good behavior habits. I live in the district area of this school and I love the diversity and organization of the school as a parent.

Posted January 9, 2013

My family has had two kids at this school, one of whom went through all the grades, and another who is still there. We are happy with the quality of the teachers, and Ms. Long is an excellent principal.

Posted January 8, 2013

I LOVE Westport Heights but more importantly my children LOVE Westport Heights!! We have a full-time caregiver but my oldest (2nd grader) wants to stay longer at school so he is in after-school care! The teachers are accessible and responsive. My children are reading at advanced levels and have tailored assignments. Field trips, garden, compostings, music, art, and diversity...what more could I ask for? We typically walk or ride bikes. We have tons of fun! Of course, you get what you give and my husband and I are very active. Thanks WHES!

Posted October 24, 2012

I agree with the criticisms posted about the school. Many of the families and kids there were delightful and deserved better in my opinion. I see negative reviews were removed, but they seemed accurate to me. I was a parent there. Academically the school expects too little. Some teachers are unprofessional, gossiping, inappropriate (sarcastic toward kids, can t spell) in class. The spelling issues on my kids homework alone were disturbing. I personally experienced troubles with teachers in class and how they treat students. My kids were not problem kids but experienced a lot of unnecessary stress because of this issue. Minor rules are enforced with hypocritical zeal. Students are penalized for tardiness while some teachers regularly collect students 5 to 10 minutes AFTER last bell. 50 mn per week of lost learning time. If teachers are on time, THEN they can kvetch about tardy students. One example of many problems. Leadership doesn t walk its talk and other priorities prevail over education (eg career/political moves, cya). It may work, and you may get the good teachers there. But go in with your eyes open. It is not the oasis that some people say it is.

Posted October 12, 2012

I would like to respond to the negative posts. The key to the sucess of one's child in any situation is the parent. Wesport Heights is a school with so much potential but with parents who complain rather than "do" to make changes how can things improve??? Was it beneath you to wipe the table or offer to help clean? It's not beneath me or my children. We pick up other people's trash at school, clean the restrooms as much as we can etc....get my gist? I and many other WHES parents I know jump in and do what ever needs to be done for our school and our children. I have chosen to send my children there. I can afford private school, but being part of the local community is something I want to instill in my children. The Teachers and Parent volunteers work so hard towards this community feeling. If there is a negative to this school it is the lack of total parent involvement. It is the same wonderful group of Mom's and Dad's ALWAYS doing everything for the school. If more parents volunteered to help we could take WHES to AMAZING school status. I'm sorry your experience was so unpleasant, I am going to continue to work hard in my non job working hours to volunteer for a better WHES.

Posted September 4, 2012

Direct access to teachers & the ability to be involved with the educational program with both of my children who attend, is a wonderful bonus. The teachers take the time to work with parents/students who are serious about their education! Walking & riding bikes & talking with my children as we go to and from our neighborhood school is a wonderful bonus. What we put in, we get out of Westport Heights & even with budget cuts & program losses, we are having a positive experience. The local schools that our tax dollars pay to keep open, can't improve unless we support the programs. It takes a major commitment, but the end result is fantastic! Parent volunteer program at WHES is outstanding & I'm proud to be part of that support team!

Posted August 31, 2012

I am well-known advocate for education here in Westchester. My children have many options of where to attend school - we chose Westport Heights Elementary School and have loved every minute of it. My son went here from K-5th and will always treasure the friends he made, including many of the teachers who he still is in touch with. The administration always puts children first and the teachers are caring and gifted educators. My daughter has attended the school from Pre-K (excellent program) to the present (she is now in 5th Grade). We have NEVER had any incidents but only truly wonderful educational experiences. In fact, both of my children have gotten PERFECT math scores on their standardized Calif tests for three years running. This would not have happened without the excellent education that they have received from this school.

Posted August 31, 2012

My son has attended Westport Heights since Kindergarten and although there were one or two bumps in the road, overall our experience has been very positive. The teachers and staff are dedicated and hard working. The parents are also dedicated and hard working and we all work together to make our children's experience a positive one. Sometimes as parents it is easy to simply criticize and focus on what could be better rather than also look at what is good and how we can pitch in to make things better.

Posted August 30, 2012

This is in response to the parent who had the horrible experience in Kinder. As the parent of 2 students at Westport, I understand your concerns. I'd also like to explain to you the process that probably caused these classroom switches. Sadly, LAUSD requires a certain number of children in each classroom, and they give each school approx 4 weeks to reach that goal. Each year, the school is staffed based on the number of children who are suppose to attend. When children end up not attending, or leave to attend a magnet after school starts, the classroom sizes become too small to fill the LAUSD requirements. In these cases the school must make hard decisions, which are usually 2-fold. 1. Let a teacher go; 2. Merge children into other Classrooms. This is hard on all parties. Sure the students are unhappy to move, but the kids are very sad to loose a teacher that has been part of their school family. But I promise you, once they settle-in the learning soars. Good luck at your new school and I hope that your children will love it as much as mine love Westport. To all those families whose home-school is Westport, please take a tour, and give this wonderful neighborhood school a chance.

Posted April 23, 2012

Westport Heights has a hardworking team of teachers who truly care about their student's success! We have great leadership and community support!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 22, 2010

This is a great school. The students are always glad to arrive and never seem to want to leave. There is tremendous parent involvement.

Posted September 22, 2010

Good people, willing to work with you. We've had a number of fabulous teachers here.

Posted September 22, 2010

a lot of parent involment, great teachers,

Posted September 21, 2010

In the 5 years my two children have been in Westport Heights they have had classes with 10 of our 22 teachers - and we have loved every one of them! Westport Heights has everything - dedicated experienced teachers, administration willing to both lead and listen, and a hard-working large group of parents. The curriculum is sound and we are all constantly employing more and more innovative techniques to further improve our students' achievements. There is always something going on to make the school better: beautification, fundraising, afterschool enrichment, and so on. If you don't like this school - then you just haven't shown up!

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students40%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 243 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Susan Allen
Fax number
  • (310) 654-4258

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now