Posted July 02, 2014
My son attends Westport Height and I think he is making outstanding progress. I have been a teacher for 16 years (at a different school). As such, I feel that I thoroughly know what it's like as a both a parent and a teacher in an elementary classroom. My son is excited about using his iPad in the classroom, sharing his science project with his peers, and even dancing during the cultural celebration assembly. My husband and I know that our young learner is having a great learning experience and that's exactly what we wanted. I am so glad that we took the time to get to know the teachers, staff and families for ourselves. Otherwise, we would have missed out on this great experience for our son.

Posted June 05, 2014
It's an excellent school. Lots of incentives to perform. The teachers are excellent and try to understand the children's needs. The Star afterschool program is great at Westport as well. They support the parents by trying to help the children with their homework. Our API score is 891. I am happy tor report my child is doing great here.

Posted September 30, 2013
Westport Heights is staffed with professional, knowledgeable, and creative teachers who work hard to deliver instructions to a variety of students. My son just began Kinder this year, but I was able to meet much of the staff during Back-To-School Night. Everyone was open, warm, and welcoming. I really wanted to get a feel for the school so I visited several grade levels so that I would know what to expect in the future. I was impressed with the quality of work that I saw in all of the classrooms.

Posted September 25, 2013
This school is great. My child is learning so much and it is located in a good residential area

Westport Heights Elementary School 2

Posted June 29, 2013
I wished this school would make changes, but it never did to my dismay. My child never said anything bad about school and the teacher would always do a day by day status (negative) behavior of my child and in return my child withdrew. My child is not one to act up, but something was not right. All I know the teacher(s) take sides before they know the complete story and do not try to solve it. It is your problem as a parent even though you have been a dedicated parent and attend events. I never knew the complete truth. Who are you supposed th believe? It might be too much to ask, while waiting for my child to get out of school with my younger child some of adults picking up kids were talking loud on phones and using lanuage that was not approciate - role models?

Posted June 25, 2013
As an educator, I have had the opportunity to teach all elementary grade levels, in public and private schools. I have chosen to work at Westport Heights because of its exceptional team of educators and supportive leadership, Mrs. Karen Long.

Posted April 30, 2013
Our son started his kindergarten year at Westport Heights and I am totally impressed with what he has learned so far! He is currently one of the top readers in his class and since he first started I can see a major transformation. I am impressed with the projects and work that the students learn and I love how Mrs Bishay teaches the children manners, encourages the children to learn, and good behavior habits. I live in the district area of this school and I love the diversity and organization of the school as a parent.

Posted January 09, 2013
My family has had two kids at this school, one of whom went through all the grades, and another who is still there. We are happy with the quality of the teachers, and Ms. Long is an excellent principal.

Posted January 08, 2013
I LOVE Westport Heights but more importantly my children LOVE Westport Heights!! We have a full-time caregiver but my oldest (2nd grader) wants to stay longer at school so he is in after-school care! The teachers are accessible and responsive. My children are reading at advanced levels and have tailored assignments. Field trips, garden, compostings, music, art, and diversity...what more could I ask for? We typically walk or ride bikes. We have tons of fun! Of course, you get what you give and my husband and I are very active. Thanks WHES!

Westport Heights Elementary School 1

Posted October 24, 2012
I agree with the criticisms posted about the school. Many of the families and kids there were delightful and deserved better in my opinion. I see negative reviews were removed, but they seemed accurate to me. I was a parent there. Academically the school expects too little. Some teachers are unprofessional, gossiping, inappropriate (sarcastic toward kids, can t spell) in class. The spelling issues on my kids homework alone were disturbing. I personally experienced troubles with teachers in class and how they treat students. My kids were not problem kids but experienced a lot of unnecessary stress because of this issue. Minor rules are enforced with hypocritical zeal. Students are penalized for tardiness while some teachers regularly collect students 5 to 10 minutes AFTER last bell. 50 mn per week of lost learning time. If teachers are on time, THEN they can kvetch about tardy students. One example of many problems. Leadership doesn t walk its talk and other priorities prevail over education (eg career/political moves, cya). It may work, and you may get the good teachers there. But go in with your eyes open. It is not the oasis that some people say it is.

Westport Heights Elementary School
6011 West 79th Street, Los Angeles, CA  90045
Last modified Westport Heights Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westport Heights Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews.