Posted August 06, 2014
Today our school and district came together to find short term solutions to resolve overcrowding in the TK & K programs. That was a WIN for the community and school. Longer term - we need better planning to ensure that future classes dont encounter the rough start we had this year. I look forward to the new year. Support our kids!

Posted August 05, 2014
Westwood Charter is a wonderful school that teaches the whole child. My children have flourished academically, socially, and emotionally. The school is large with 900 students but feels like a much smaller community school.

Westwood Charter Elementary School 1

Posted August 03, 2014
This school says they are Anti Bullying but is simply untrue, both of my children were bullied here and told it was there fault. Also if your child has an IEP it will only be followed if it does not inconvienence the teacher, My child of was behind 3 grade levels because of this. Also the Mom Mafia is out of control here! if you child is in the lower mid teir this is not the school for you!

Westwood Charter Elementary School 2

Posted May 23, 2014
I cannot think of anything significantly horrible or wonderful that personally happened while our child attended Westwood Charter. The thing that has kept this school thriving with wonderful reviews is the parent involvement. It feels very much like a co-op/community type of enviroment. We made lots of friends we will always adore. Your experience does heavily rely on which teacher you get. Communication is below average between parent/teacher and parent/office staff. The cirruculumn is outdated and its sole purpose is to produce high test scores at the end of the year. And unfortunetly I have witnessed (4 times) and personally had to intervene (1 time) a teacher who was screaming for an extended period of time at 2 of her students in an older grade. Safety measures are in place but rarely used. If we stayed at Westwood Charter we would be accepting below average and hoping for something better. We are looking for a more progressive school with better safety measures and consistency in teachers who really want to love and teach our children.

Posted October 24, 2013
Westwood is about community. The parents, teachers, administraiton and students all work together to create a safe but challenging environment for the students to learn and flourish. Westwood is a place where all kids can grow, make friends and learn.

Posted October 20, 2013
Caring, active teachers and parents along with our new principle make WWC a great school! There is a terrific Arts, Music, and Gardening program too! We love WWC!

Westwood Charter Elementary School 3

Posted September 06, 2013
This school is only as good as the teacher you get each year. Two kids can go to this school and get completely different educations. My oldest son had a wonderful education here. I pulled my younger child from the school-he didn't have the luck of the draw when it came to teachers. Another issue is that the teachers and administration support each other to a fault-if there is an issue, even if a teacher or administrator is off base, the staff rallies around one another and turns the issue around so that the child or parents are the culprit. It is only natural for professionals to look out for each other, but at Westwood Charter this is done to a fault, and to the detriment of the students. We experienced it as have a few of our friends. That said, if you get the "right" teachers there is a good education to be had-it's the luck of the draw.

Westwood Charter Elementary School 4

Posted April 15, 2013
I have been very impressed with this charter school, it is run by a strong group of involved parents and caring, creative teachers. My son has done well in K and now 1st grade and has formed lasting friendships and blossomed in his learning. There is much here to be admired, including the innovative ways the community raises money, stays organized and takes action -- the new principal this year was just ousted for not stepping up and being a positive, present leader. The only cons for me personally -- the large number of students, the lack of real-world diversity and the ongoing issue of campus security.

Posted January 03, 2013
Westwood Charter is a very warm nurturing inclusive school. Both of my children went there. There were fun after-school programs as well. It rivals many private institutions. Children blossom there. The teachers and Administration do care.

Westwood Charter Elementary School 4

Posted January 01, 2013
It's quite obvious that Westwood Charter has a great sense of community. As a possible future attending family, I'm curious to see more reviews about academic instruction: is there a lot of ditto/text work or more holistic approaches, such as Writer's Workshop, literature groups, Cognitively Guided Instruction for math, Foss kits / inquiry based science, etc? I ask because our older child attends a highly reputable school, state scores off the charts, but her classroom could NOT be more teacher and test centered - I couldn't be more disappointed. The classroom sorely lacks lifelong learning skills needed for success the 21st century. I hope it's a different story here.

Westwood Charter Elementary School
2050 Selby Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90025
Last modified Westwood Charter Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westwood Charter Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 199 reviews.