Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I've always been on the fence about this school, but his last year (fourth grade) was it for me. My son has attended this school since first grade and the only reason this school is getting more than a single star is because of the principal. This school has a lot of potential to be great with Ms. Taylor at the helm. She knows the students/parents/families by name and is very attentive, but as one person she can only do so much. Like most LAUSD schools, the 1-on-1 attention for students in grades above kinder is minimal to non-existent, but my son lucked up on good teachers his second and third grade years. Most of the work my child has done this year is repetitive of the things covered in third grade and it seems many of the teachers are sticking to the bare minimum and/or are catering to the under-performing students. Instead of working to bring those students up to the next level, the better performing students in class aren't being challenged. There have also been a lot of "incidents" with students, parents, and teachers this year. At least 2-3 times per week my son was telling me some sort of story about students fighting each other/teachers, parents confronting students and teachers, etc.

My son has been attending Wilshire crest since kindergarten and he is now in the 2nd. My daughter is also attending in their etk program, this year. What I love most about the school is the principal. I love how she interacts with the students and is very involved. As a parent, I know we are very fortunate to have her as the principal. Anytime I have had a concern, I've been able to speak with Mrs. Taylor and my children's teachers. This school has potential to improve, if parents do their parts with their students. The teachers and principal give all the need tools it's now up to the parents to reinforce the materials and push their children to greatness.

Bullying is out of control here! Not only by the students but by the parents! Even the principal complains of being bullied everyday. Parents are rude and disruptive to others. Lack of enforcement of uniform code. General apathy has taken over the campus. There are a few shining stars on the faculty, but overall it is a sincere disappointment and deteriorating.

I may be moving into the area which this school serves. The 4 rating (out of 10) disturbs me. All the rave reviews for this school are written by people who don't have a full grasp of the English language. That worries me as well, as their standards may be lower than mine.

I am a parent who's child is in pre-k and I could not be more pleased. The dedicated staff are continuosly developing my son's skills and abilities in and outside the classroom. I am very pleased.

I have spent a lot of time on the campus at Wilshire Crest and can honestly say it is a very disfunctional place. This is largely a reflection of the poor leadership of it's principal. She may talk like she is taking care of things, but her follow through is very poor. I have seen students be pushed on from grade to grade without getting basic learning needs met. I have heard the principal yell at teachers, and as a result the teacher morale is extreely low here. I have heard the principal tell teachers to rule with an iron fist. As a result, teachers use a lot of negative discipline here, like yelling and taking away recess priveleges. I was shocked to hear and see that the principal rquires the students to remain quiet during lunch and if they make noise they lose recess. What happened to lunch being a time to socialize? I really want this school to improve. However, unless LAUSD big brass step in t o remedy the poor leadership here, I'm not sure if anything will change. Just look at the continual loss of enrollment here during the past 10 years. I think that the school has shrunk almost in half . Parents are opting to take their kids to other schools.

My son has been enrolled for 2 years 2-3rd grade and my wife and I couldnt be more pleased. Every teacher is involved and he learns so much! This school's curriculum is similar to a magnet school, I'd know because I attended a magnet elem. He has advanced socially, emotionally, and also academically. I and my son, really love the after school programs too which give him more learning just on a fun level, similar to summer daycamp. oh, and they even have dances! hahaha...great school. Im sure my son will have fond memories of this school when he gets older.

I am a neighbor of this school and am very pleased that the children are respectful of the school's neighboring properties.

I have two children that attend wilshire crest, I am extremely pleased with the staff and the curriculum, as well as the goal for each student to attend college.

My daughter has learned so much in pre k. aside from the concentration on letter recognition. My daughter can write her name and is trying to read small words. Pretty grate concidering I thought she would just work on social issues at this level. There are field trips to interesting places, and the uniforms are a wonderful plus. She has developed such confidance now that we dont have to figure out what to wear.

Last modified Wilshire Crest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.