Los Angeles, CA
Students enrolled: 1,089

Posted September 23, 2014
This is an excellent school for students who are interested in the arts AND a rigorous academic curriculum, with 16 AP courses offered. There are plenty of art classes and the academic teachers are wonderful, this is our son's fourth year at the school and all his teachers have been great. The lack of team sports is a plus, there is a great collaborative, non-competitive spirit among the students, who are kind and welcoming and just great kids.

Posted August 13, 2014
The school is so lucky to have a new Principal. Kim Bruno is charismatic, smart and represents the school well.

Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts 3

Posted January 28, 2014
My daughter attends this school; she is a freshman in the Theater Academy and seems to be struggling a bit with the extremely high demands from some of the teachers and some disorganization from the school. The high turnover in Principals affects these kids one way or another and most likely the Teachers as well. The fact that these kids do not have any formal sports is very discouraging; they are missing out on the exercise benefit, HS games, and being able to cheer on their friends which is a huge factor in a teen's life. It is a great school and a lot of money was invested in bringing this school to the community, but I think the administration needs to be a little more open to these kids needs at this point in their lives and incorporate sports to their school. I know the majority of these kids are here because this is a career path for them, but they are missing out in the sports camaraderie which should be in every HS teen's life.

Posted September 06, 2013
This school is a grate school you get to have fun and learn new things every day will meeting new people in the same time.

Posted August 18, 2013
My freshman year here was just great. At first, I was a bit skeptical about this school because I felt I had to fit in but I later realized you can be yourself at this school without being judged so harshly like other schools. Many people accept you as you are. The upperclassmen were really welcoming at times so I didn't feel so uncomfortable, which was a plus. The teachers I had were great! I felt like they actually cared to have a relationship with their students to help them grow academically and personally.

Posted August 08, 2013
My School is an amazing experience if you are talented whether it's music, art, dance or theater. Great school!

Posted August 08, 2013
My stars speak for me, but in the event that this does not suffice, I am more than welcome to provide a more detailed review: The school is COMPLETELY safe! In all my four years of attending this school I have never felt threatened by neither outside nor inside forces. The school and its faculty promote a nurturing, yet challenging atmosphere filled with interdisciplinary interaction. The kids aren't bad either. True, there are some that exude apathy for their school work and craft, but this is a prevalent characteristic everywhere. But if your child is motivated to learn and succeed, then he/she will naturally gravitate to the hard workers and the true artists. The students work very closely with the teachers, forging immensely strong bonds; if you are willing to stay active as a parent, you will surely become easily acquainted with the teachers as well. I still know a lot of fellow graduates who have stayed in close touch with our teachers; we love and respect them. This institution has sent students to ivy league schools, as well as premiere performing arts schools, a testament of its ability to cultivate intelligent artists. As artisans, we are taught to make change.

Posted August 08, 2013
I'm now an alumni at vapa, and I've been in that amazing school since it first opened. I'm happy to be pat of this school and its students and faculty. Students get along very well at vapa, and are quite helpful to each other or to anyone for that matter. 0 fights and 0 vandalisim inside and near the school. this school is full of diversity of characteristics,culture,and people, but we all put them either to good use or put them aside. Although VAPA can be a crazy school when its school year, its a "controlled chaos" type of crazy and both students ,teacher and parents help each other to have an acomplish year. as a musician to that school i was happy on what my 4 years of singing with the groups at vapa. Showing other school what we got and getting awards,partnerships, and prizes(if we get lucky) on our music tours. i guess te principal change and staff changes can decrease and have a permanent faculty.and all the miscommunication between teachers,office satff,students, and parents. but i guess its all part of the experience for this school. i had a good 4 years, but had to pay lot of trips because we dont get help from the district....

Posted August 08, 2013
My son found an educational home at VAPA when he transferred there last year. He went from a school where his talent and unique personality were the focus of bullying (by teachers as well as other students!) to a place where he is accepted, celebrated, befriended and truly encouraged to work to hone his craft (percussion) achieve his dreams.

Posted January 23, 2013
I am a senior at this school, and I have been here since its opening (9/9/2009). I came to this school completely untrained in visual art. Before, I was the "kind of interested in art because it looks cool and fun, but I'm not really good at it" student. Today, I can confidently tell any student, parent, administrator, or PERSON that this school shaped who I am today, in both character and lifestyle. My teachers are some of the most hard-working, dedicated, and passionate teachers I've ever had the privilege of working with, academically AND artistically. (Even our school librarian and janitors are awesome!) This is a community unlike any other school I've been to (3 elementary , 1 middle); here, you earn what you work for, and we accept and tolerate each other in a respectful manner. I entered this school (honestly) lacking artistic skill, and generally I was just another kid who didn't know what to do with my life--I didn't have a "passion" for anything, and I went to school living day-by-day. Now I look forward to school everyday, and I wish I had more time here (even though I am SO ready for college!!!). If I ever had a kid interested (or not) in the arts, I'd send them HERE!

Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts
450 North Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90012
Last modified Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top