Los Angeles, CA
Students enrolled: 1,089

Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts 1

Posted May 05, 2015
This school is not what it used to. For all the students going there now and calling it a great school, you should've been there when it first opened in 2009. I was a freshman in 2009 and that school was fantastic. The original staff and principal were amazing. But every year they made more and more cuts. Fired many wonderful teachers for standing up and voicing their opinions. Fired Ms. Gardea, who happened to be the best assistant principal the music academy had. The school went to hell after the class of 2013, the first class that attended all 4 years there, graduated. I'm so glad I don't go there anymore. Even my sister, former student, left the school her junior year and agrees that the school is horrible. It's glory year was 2009. This school will never be as amazing as it was before

Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts 1

Posted March 18, 2015
My Daughter has been there for 3 yrs and they do not have an emergency plan for handicap students in wheelchair. The elevator has broken down several times...and I mean SEVERAL times!!! Today my daughter called me at 2pm telling me she was stuck on the 2nd floor because the elevator broke down AGAIN. People on the office was informed but what happened? EVERY BODY left and it was 5pm and my daughter was still on the second floor. This is unacceptable. The staff and administrator do not care!!

Posted September 23, 2014
This is an excellent school for students who are interested in the arts AND a rigorous academic curriculum, with 16 AP courses offered. There are plenty of art classes and the academic teachers are wonderful, this is our son's fourth year at the school and all his teachers have been great. The lack of team sports is a plus, there is a great collaborative, non-competitive spirit among the students, who are kind and welcoming and just great kids.

Posted August 13, 2014
The school is so lucky to have a new Principal. Kim Bruno is charismatic, smart and represents the school well.

Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts 3

Posted January 28, 2014
My daughter attends this school; she is a freshman in the Theater Academy and seems to be struggling a bit with the extremely high demands from some of the teachers and some disorganization from the school. The high turnover in Principals affects these kids one way or another and most likely the Teachers as well. The fact that these kids do not have any formal sports is very discouraging; they are missing out on the exercise benefit, HS games, and being able to cheer on their friends which is a huge factor in a teen's life. It is a great school and a lot of money was invested in bringing this school to the community, but I think the administration needs to be a little more open to these kids needs at this point in their lives and incorporate sports to their school. I know the majority of these kids are here because this is a career path for them, but they are missing out in the sports camaraderie which should be in every HS teen's life.

Posted September 06, 2013
This school is a grate school you get to have fun and learn new things every day will meeting new people in the same time.

Posted August 18, 2013
My freshman year here was just great. At first, I was a bit skeptical about this school because I felt I had to fit in but I later realized you can be yourself at this school without being judged so harshly like other schools. Many people accept you as you are. The upperclassmen were really welcoming at times so I didn't feel so uncomfortable, which was a plus. The teachers I had were great! I felt like they actually cared to have a relationship with their students to help them grow academically and personally.

Posted August 08, 2013
Ramon C. Cortines School for the Visual & Performing Arts This is the ony arts education HS on the west coast. The philosophy is thorugh the daily discipline of the arts the student will the corelate this to their daily critical studies. We are a no audition school but placement only which means students at 13 whom have never been exposed to the arts have front door acessiblity this campus. The scores are coming up everyday which means the mission is working which is to keep studetns engaged with their studies via the visual & performing arts. The first three valectdictorians attend Harvard, Columbia, and USC on full academic scholarships. The campus embraces and practices tolerance through arts integration by stating we all belong on the same canvas. Albert Einstein shared his wisdom & reality connection by stating "the world will not be saved by a scientist but instead by an artist", Scientists raise great riddles and artists solve them.

Posted August 08, 2013
My School is an amazing experience if you are talented whether it's music, art, dance or theater. Great school!

Posted August 08, 2013
My stars speak for me, but in the event that this does not suffice, I am more than welcome to provide a more detailed review: The school is COMPLETELY safe! In all my four years of attending this school I have never felt threatened by neither outside nor inside forces. The school and its faculty promote a nurturing, yet challenging atmosphere filled with interdisciplinary interaction. The kids aren't bad either. True, there are some that exude apathy for their school work and craft, but this is a prevalent characteristic everywhere. But if your child is motivated to learn and succeed, then he/she will naturally gravitate to the hard workers and the true artists. The students work very closely with the teachers, forging immensely strong bonds; if you are willing to stay active as a parent, you will surely become easily acquainted with the teachers as well. I still know a lot of fellow graduates who have stayed in close touch with our teachers; we love and respect them. This institution has sent students to ivy league schools, as well as premiere performing arts schools, a testament of its ability to cultivate intelligent artists. As artisans, we are taught to make change.

Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts
450 North Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90012
Last modified Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ramon C. Cortines School Of Visual And Performing Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top