Orville Wright Engineering And Design Magnet

Public | 6-8 | 786 students

Posted September 20, 2010

My daughter is a 6th grader and loves it. She leaves for school happy and comes home happy every day. She feels safe and secure there, and I feel good that she is so close to home. I am impressed with her teachers and the future projects she will be working on, very involved and challenging. I had a chance to meet the new principal and I was very impressed with his enthusiasm and motivation.

Posted September 18, 2010

It's obvious that the post below is not really a parent. This school is underperforming middle school age children in everyway. As other have noted, the amount of bullying that the adminstration allows is unacceptable. It's unacceptable that this is the only public option for tax payers in this area. This school does not provide a safe and quality education for our children. This area needs smaller schools who properly serve the community, rather than one that fails to provide what children deserve to succeed.

Posted September 17, 2010

Two of my children have attended Orville and both have received an excellent education. The test scores of my children show they're not only learning state standards but are excelling above them. Their honors programs are excellent. The teachers and administration are great and the campus is clean and safe. I recommend taking a tour for yourself to see all the wonderful opportunities offered. I wouldn't consider going to a different school when the one in our neighborhood has great API scores, great teachers, and definately prepares students for college.

Posted September 16, 2010

My kids have attended Orville for the past two years and have had a wonderful experience. The staff is very hands on and caring. The curriculum has been challenging and most of all I love that they are attending their neighborhood school. They have friends from the neighborhood that they walk home with and have felt safe on campus. We have a new Principal this year that has set the bar high and I forsee great things happening over the next year. This is one of the few schools that met the subgroup targets. It shows that they are teaching all children!

Posted July 1, 2010

The children that are trouble makers, bully, untrained, rude and curse openly make this school a terrible place to be involved with. Communication is poor and budget cuts has worsened the entire situation. I would look elsewhere if I were a parent of a 6th grader.

Posted May 24, 2010

My son is a 6th grader at Orville and I am very dissatisfied with the school. The teachers and staff show no leadership capibilities. The teachers only care about your child if they earn good grades and sit quietly. My son is talkative so he has been treated poorly even called a bad name by one teacher. The campus is covered in trash on a daily basis and the children are rude and curse openly. Needless to say, this is our last year at this school.

Posted April 1, 2010

I have a son who attends Wright magnet and is in the 6th grade. I have found since the first day of school many issues with the quality of teaching and management of the children. My son has been involved with many un called for situations. he was suspended for defending himself against another boy who laid hands on my son. The teachers promise to keep you informed about your child, however since day one I only hear from them when the problem is out of control. They also claim that they will rspond to you quickly if you need them. I have e-mailed for months without response. the classes are over crowded and in my opinion the school is a poor choice for any child. My son will not be attending there after this year.

Posted March 31, 2010

I have attended this school for all 3 years, & about to graduate. In my opinion, this school is below average. Examples include right on the students. Most are highly disrespectful, very rude, and there are many fights & arguments amongst the students. Sometimes there are racial discriminations from students towards other students. In my 7th grade year, I can recall a 'rumble' between the Hispanic/Latino against the African-Americans. Of course, the fight was stopped right when it occurred, but the violence is clearly unncessary. In my case, I believe the teachers I've had is good in most cases. They can teach fairly well. Most will help you and they do care about your grades. The school has some good extra curriculum actvities, such as the Flight Simulator. I'm not pleased with the environment, though. The halls and school grounds are always covered with trash. Overall, the school is below average.

Posted July 8, 2009

I had just graduated from this school and I think this school is pretty average. I was in the high honor classes throughout my three years at Orville Wright and my teachers were great. My teachers cared about me and my grades. If I was behind they would personally help me out until I got the lesson. My councilor really helped me out and in my opinion the best councilor ever Dr.Kobashi she has the dedication to help out students and understands the students. But to honest i am not very fond of our new principal Mr.Stapleton and think that the schools old principal understood the students better.I also liked the electives offered but a language elective would be a nice edition.Orville Wright is pretty good school I enjoyed my years a Iot I would have no problem recommending this school to parents.

Posted July 1, 2009

I attended Orville Wright for 2 years now and I still am highly unimpressed.This school doesn't provide a safe environment for its students. Also the relationships between students are terrible in my opinion. The children are just plain rude and mean, and the school is dirty. Children here believe they can have the last word in an argument and are highly disrepectful. The school work is far from challenging,and teachers don't seem to care. I wonder how much worse the school will become now that LAUSD has no money, they are already taking away some electives and i think getting rid of the library.I'm not sure how other children feel about this school, but if anything it probably isn't about education since here at Orville most of the children worry about social status.

Posted June 24, 2009

I realy think that this school is a realy good school. I tink that because this school offeres sooo much for us students, there is yearbook classes, flight simulator clases, book club, enviormental express which is a club, basketball teams, and alot of other things. It has a wonderful counciler for all three grades, the 6th grade coulciler is Ms. Cheffy, the 7th grade counsiler is Ms.White, and the 8th grade counsiler is Mr. Mandell. Also our loving and caring principal is Mr.Staplton. They also provide honer clases, HighHoners clases, and S.A.S clases. I am mostl likly amnot going to be there next year because of the move i am going to do. But i am going to miss it alot.

Posted May 7, 2009

This is a great school. We have great teachers, supportive parents and smart kids. i currently attend orville as a seventh grade and cant wait for my last year there.

Posted January 8, 2009

i think that this school is okay. i'm a seventh grader here, and the play production is awesome! :)

Posted October 18, 2008

This school is great. My 8th grader son likes it and he is learning alot. He really liked the Youth Summit Summit that was held for the first time.

Posted September 24, 2008

My son is currently attending Orville in the 8th grade. He really likes his school and feels great support from his teachers. This has motivated my son to excel in all subjects and not just the ones he cares for.

Posted September 1, 2008

I went to Orville Wright Magnet and I must say it is a great school. My teachers were outstanding and really did care about the well being of the students. The Magnet staff is the most caring and supportive.The Honors and SAS classes are great and challenging. Their Drama and Music programs are excellent and make students want to participate. Most Teachers are very good but others are lacking. All in all I believe it is a great school and you should definately check it out.

Posted June 24, 2008

Im very please with orville keep up the good work

Posted April 24, 2007

My son has attended Wright since the 6th grade. I am very happy with Wright. Overall it's a great school however, like any school it needs to work on the communication with the parents, students and teachers. don't wait until the very end of a grading period to notify a student that he is not working up to par. Keep up with the phone calls when the parents call and keep a breast of what the child is doing in the form of academics. It takes the teacher , the student and the parents to succeed.

Posted April 18, 2007

I was not pleased with the overall concern of the teachers. I felt that the teachers forgot what good teaching is, and is focusing on the negative rather than the positive. A lot of good is happening at Wright but is being overshadowed by the discipline problems that is being dealt with on a daily basis.

Posted March 26, 2007

Class are operating at sub-standard level, teachers have little control of classrooms, homework is not graded; admin. is disorganized.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

201 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

223 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

222 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students50%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)43%
Parent education - college graduate66%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate100%
Parent education - declined to state39%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options