Magnolia Science Academy 6 School

Charter | 6-8 | 168 students

Our school is known for safe small class-school size and STEM.

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $497,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,550.

Posted September 13, 2012

Magonolia Science Academy 6 is an amazing school we moved our son from Culver City Middle School, we were a little apprehensive at first by the school Principal and office staff made our child and us feel at home, with regards to the academics we have seen our child improve in his math and all his core classes, the after school programs are truly amazing they are helping our child get his homework done and is like receiving free tutoring, with my wife we feel we are getting private school treatment and education at no cost. We HIGHLY recommend Magnolia Science Academy 6, it has been the best move we have done for our kid.

Posted September 13, 2012

My younger brother currently is attending his second year at Magnolia Science Academy 6 and as an older sister I have seen great improvement in his work and social habits. Magnolia is a small school, which in this case has many advantages. Of course, the school is not perfect, no school is, but I say it's just the kind of environment kids should be in. I went to CCMS, and honestly I wish my mom would've found the school before I graduated. Having been able to visit the school many times I have experienced the way the school runs. The kids there are brilliant, thoughtful, considerate, and of course a bit mischievous. Each adult working at the school knows and learns EVERY SINGLE kids (and parents) name. That was not the case at my school and I wish it was. The staff makes sure that your child gets the exact help and attention that they need, because they do not think of your kid as just any other student, but as an individual. The principal at Magnolia is very considerate of the parents thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. He tries, and succeeds, to create a family atmosphere at the school. I highly recommend this school. DFTBA (Dont Forget To Be Awesome)

Posted August 22, 2012

This school is brilliant and I highly suggest going here. The place is spectacular and your child will have no problem making friends. Most of the teachers are great and as long as your child behaves, he/she will succeed. Go here, as the after school programs are fun and exciting, and so is mostly everything else, or so my child says. They even have a special program for your amazing math wiz, where he/she will compete in tournaments against many other smart students. Try MSA6 and you will definitely be satisfied.

Posted August 3, 2012

I came here from a very caring elementary. Thinking, its a small school the principal at the time was so encoring. In the middle of the year several teachers disappeared and so did the principal. The newly formed parent group tried to get things moving and everyone working together, but the non-sense of the administration chased them away. The education is below average- lets just say I feel so guilty my child has to make up and entire year and came in at the top of the class. Math and science ?? seems there was none. Teachers are not helpful and very mean. They will not log in a grade on coolsis but yet sign that is was done? I wanted to be a part of a smaller school- but this education is worse than neighborhood over crowded middle schools. We are gone! They need better quality teachers and leadership. Lining the kids up for a morning meeting is not considered leadership. It is not challenging and offers little to opportunities. After school activities is like a free for all not helpful. Oh not to mention some students steal and there is little to no discipline. This is a business for the money not for the education of our kids.

Posted June 11, 2012

I would caution anyone looking into this school to do a lot of research prior to enrolling your child. MSA 6 has had a 99% turn over rate with teachers and 100% with administration since the inception only 3 years ago. Although they have tried to rectify a very sub-standard principal by replacing him, there have been little-if-any sign of improvement to the teaching standards or the curriculum since the arrival of the new principal. He is also unwilling to work with the parents so much so that there is no longer a parent group in existence. The educational environment is rote with virtually no hands on education or higher learning oportunities. Even the advanced math program is using the exact handouts from last year rendering it useless to those previoulsly enrolled. The Math/Science/Technology programs are all very weak with no science equipment and no useful technology programs. For example, the typing program only teaches the home keys because "we would have to pay to go on to the other keys". The only reason I can even give one star is for the small class sizes, but given the lack of all else it should hardly be a decision making factor.

Posted June 9, 2012

I just want to say that this school has done an amazing job this year. I do hear that there are parents who complain all the time, but you get that everywhere. Check out this article...http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/06/living/teachers-want-to-tell-parents/index.html. This is just a group of parents though. For the most part, the parents here are more than satisfied with this school. Every month there is a newsletter that helps bridge the communication between the school and the students/parents, a breakfast with the principal, and there are assemblies twice a week. Also, there website is updated all the time. Some of these reviews do not give this school the just rating that it does deserve. If you are able to go to this school, you should attend here.

Posted May 2, 2012

This is our 2nd year and it had not gotten better. They seem to care more about are the children in uniform then if a child needs help. Admin does not communicate well with parents. A few , a very few teachers are gems, while others do not communicate well to parents and the students. Coolis seems like a great idea however many teachers do not keep current with the kids grades. My son tells me many class mates may not be returning for 8th grade due to parents not feeling childrend are getting proper education , I am thinking maybe I need to investigate that as an option.

Posted January 31, 2012

The school is average. The administration is average as well. Most of the teachers are great, some not so great. The school lacks organization and professionalism. My child has attended this school for two years. The first year was average with so many changes in the administration and with teachers, very unstable. I had hopes that this year it would improve, but unfortunately its still very unstable. I'm glad this is my child's last year. She is graduating.

Posted October 28, 2010

This is my child's first year in Magnolia Science Academy 6 (MSA-6). MSA-6 has excellent learning environment for students both in academically and non-academically. Its curriculum has been designed to challenge students and to encourage parents to be involved in students' success. As a parent I can follow my child's daily school activities via school's COOLSIS system, through which I communicate my child's teachers easily. Principal, teachers, and administrators, and parents have been working together for the success of students, especially in this under funded environment. It is evident from its API score, 841, which is way above the state average; I can say that MSA 6 is very accomplished school given the second year of its operation.

Posted October 28, 2010

I am very happy as a parent that my child is going to this school.The school is offering a variety of activities as an after school program. Students sign up for two programs and all teachers are involved with their programs till the end of the day four days of a week consistently. Because the the school is small, teachers and administration are giving good care for the students. The school is well known for preparing the students statewide science projects and nationwide math and scince competitions. I wish the school had senior hs as well.

Posted October 27, 2010

This is my child's second year at Magnolia and I have no complaints so far. The size of the classes are what I appreciate and the quick email updates from the teachers, staff and principal. Their CoolSIS system keeps me in touch with whats happening at the school which is reassuring. It's really hard to fail with such a great system. They are a diamond in the rough, but that's fine with me! I'm happy and so is my child.

Posted October 23, 2010

This is my second year at the school. There is a new prinicipal. I have had GREAT experiences with him. He has an open door policy, is extremely attentive and responsive both in person and via email. My child absolutely loves the school and is thriving. My child is doing EXTREMELY well both academically and socially. This year they implemented a sport sprogram. My child can not wait to start soccer. If you are an involved parent, and willing to participate and work with the school, this school is for you. If are a complainer but never show up or follow through on your parent commitments, this is not the school for you! This school also provides one on one tutoring academically, this school is very challenging. Please remember this is middle school not elementary school. Students are starting to experience being accountable and responsible.

Posted October 22, 2010

We came into the school under new leadership which we were not aware of when we signed up. The new principal is very condescending. He treats the kids like "friends" instead of students, so they really like him. However, he has a "my way or the highway" attitude along with lots of talk and little action. There is no working with parents, sadly, because there seems to be a very strong parent group here. Secondly, there are several teachers who cannot speak english. My child does not understand 90% of what is going on in these classrooms due to the language barrier. These are Science & Technology teachers - the backbone of this school! Math is weak as well. Sad, because on the other hand there seems to be a group of very good teachers here who are stuck under the leadership of one very bad principal.

Posted September 23, 2010

Happy to report that Magnolia 6 should be a role model for other schools. Teachers are very accommodating and are eager to teach. Students will benefit from classroom routine to prepare for highschool and college. This is a diamond in the ruff, but the word is gettting out. They may need to expand very soon. Great atmosphere for 6th graders transioning to middle school and zero bullying tollerance makes it ideal for students entering the pre-adolence stage of life. Would recommend this school to parents who care about their children's education and well being.

Posted August 26, 2010

My child joined last year as a 6th grader. She is rather shy and joined later, after switching from a bigger Middle school, but the teachers are very attentive, respond to email queries promptly and the school has a strict non-bullying policy. The school community as a whole - parents, students really does have a family feel about it; I was especially impressed by the Fundraising fair last Spring which was well organized and had a great turnout! What else can I say? With the small classrooms, supportive caring environment, and stimulating extra curricular activities, I have peace of mind knowing my child is in good hands.

Posted August 23, 2010

we are new to MSA 6 so don't have a lot of experience, but wanted to share that we are feeling very positive and excited about it. orientation was thorough and friendly. staff seems generous, sincere, and hard working.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

n/a
General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students50%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate58%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate73%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Studentsn/a

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 72%N/AN/A
English language learners 9%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Significant developmental delay
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 4:00 p.m.
  • John Terzi
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (310) 842-8558

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • STEM

• Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Arabic languages
  • Korean
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

4 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
183
Students typically come from these schools
El Marino ES
Palms ES
Shenandoah ES

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Magnolia Science Academy 4