KIPP Empower Academy 1

Posted November 22, 2014
I am extremely disappointed in this school. The administrative staffers are rude and condescending to parents. They ask for parent input but have done NOTHING in the past two years to improve the conditions of their school. They are focused solely on high test schools to keep up their reputation but don't inspire the children to think for themselves. Anyone looking for a place to educate their is better off at their local public school. At least then their children will get out of school early enough to still gain exposure to enrichment and extracurricular studies. KIPP LA SCHOOLS ARE HORRIBLE. They fit the school to prison pipeline mold perfectly. This is our LAST year at this institution.

KIPP Empower Academy 2

Posted November 20, 2014
The teachers are GREAT! They are truly invested in what they do. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the administration, they actively deceive parents making them promises they don't intend on keeping. The administration and the KIPP L.A. organization ACT as if they are interested in parent involvement but the reality is far from that. KIPP L.A. basicly washes their hands when it comes to school issues and just refers you back to the school, which is what is broken in the first place! Our kids eat in overcrowded lunch tables, where they aren't even able to stretch. They are told to keep their voices down, sit up straight, knees forward, bottoms on the bench. I know of correctional institutions that have less strict lunch time rules! At the beginning of our Journey at KEA I was ecstatic that this established CMO had opened a school in South L.A. If I knew then what I know now this would not have been MY CHOICE in school.

KIPP Empower Academy 1

Posted September 15, 2014
KIPP Empower Academy has great potential but I question the underlying agenda. What I mean by that is, the teachers (at least those I've encountered) are caring and genuinely have a vested interest in the academic success of their students. But the administrative staff have to answer to the KIPP Board of Directors who seem to be the true decision makers. The agenda of the Board seems to be focussed on money. Ways in which they can open more schools and collect more public school funding but only spending the minimum required to operate a school. That being said, the children & the school doesn't have adequate funding or resources available to them. Their academic day consists of rigorous drilling of math, reading/comprehension skills. There is no project based, hand-on-learning AT ALL. The homework is too easy for my children and when I asked them to challenge them more the teachers said they couldn't and I'd have to talk to the principle if I wanted my children to be challenged academically. Why are they holding them back from greatness? Is their goal to produce mediocre children who will be good low wage workers? Not my children! They will be CEOs so this is our LAST YEAR HERE!

KIPP Empower Academy 3

Posted April 17, 2014
My daughter started KEA back in August of 2013 and my thoughts are a bit mixed. Pros: the instructors care; not every teacher is great. My daughter (Kinder) has excelled in her reading, comprehension and she's getting better in math; parent involvement is decent, they offer classes for parents regarding different aspects of raising your child/finances/etc. They teach the kids about oneness as well as diversity EVEN though the school is NOT diverse. The school does offer the surrounding area a sense of pride for kids who would not get this type of education in a public school; private school would be an expensive alternative. Cons: The school is not diverse, the location is HORRIBLE; basically it s on the prostitute stroll yet the curriculum and attitude remains stellar. I believe my daughter maybe better off in a school that is diverse; in my opinion it s the real world and I d rather see her in the immersion school that we re on the waiting list for. If you don t do your research and decipher for yourself in what s best for your child you can miss out on other educational possibilities - Yeah, the API score is high but environment within education plays a part to.

Posted March 07, 2014
The staff at Kipp Empower are the best! Very resourceful and supportive. During PTO meetings the Teachers are very detailed, explaining levels of learning and classroom expectations. An abundance of material is provided to assist with learning needs and challenges. Very pleased!!

KIPP Empower Academy 4

Posted February 26, 2014
Teachers that don't care. Still exist. Teachers say they're concern, but when it comes down to it the only concern is the funding. The people in the office is more helpful than the teachers. The teachers just keep their heads down. They act more like librarians.

Posted September 05, 2013
This school is staffed with employees that are all about building character as well as educating their students. The children are challenged daily, which keep their minds working. The teachers teach their students to be confident and to stay strong in all situations. Lessons like those will stick for a lifetime. This is by far one of the best learning enviroments ive ever seen.

Posted May 16, 2013
I love this school! A safe and caring environment for my son. They have high standards and will make sure your child reach the goal and more. My son loves KEA, his teachers, the staff, his friends. Great school!

KIPP Empower Academy 4

Posted September 26, 2012
I have been with KIPP since it began and I have mixed feelings. Like most schools, some teachers are good, some are not great. Not much cultural diversity with students, although it has improved. Some teachers are rude, pompous and condescending to parents. The school is focused on academics and college prep- LOVE THAT-but some teachers expect the children to act like adults and not children. I love the extended day which allows for extras such as spanish and PE- most schools have done away with the extra curricular activites. There is some lack of communication and outlandish expections for special projects over the weekends. I dislike the school location and have concerns, as the school is no longer completely seperated from the regular elementary school. Overall, I have seen tremendous academic growth in my child and appreciate that the school is making efforts to provide a more well rounded education.

KIPP Empower Academy 2

Posted June 01, 2012
My child have been going to KIPP since it 1rst open. Kindergarten of 09/10. And since then she has been sliding down. She came from Wonderland Angels Academy, she was doing great. She could read & do math well. They were teaching her how to sound out each letter and all the different vowel sound. They taught her to count(she went there form 2yrs to Pre-K4yrs) They had a good relationship with all the children and their parents. If the child was having difficulty they would show the parents what and how they are teaching. (THIS) KIPP IS NEW. THE ACADEMIC FOUNDATION IS VERY WEAK. EVERYTHING SEEM TO BE BRIEF THEY BRIEFLY GO OVER VOWEL SOUND, BLENDS SOUND, MATH IS ONLY 50 MIN. AND THEY GET OUT AT 4:15PM. I GIVE THEM A 2 BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING BUT I DON'T THINK THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING OR HOW TO TEACH YOUNG KIDS. THEY GIVE THEM ((LOTS)) OF WORK BUT ITS NO GOOD IF THEY CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THEY LEARNED AT SCHOOL. I JUST WISH I WOULD HAVE TOOK HER OUT EARLIER INSTEAD OF TRUSTING (2YRS) THEM AND THEIR METHOD OF TEACHING THINK EVERYTHING WOULD GET BETTER. THE PRINCIPAL(FAKING IT UNTIL HE MAKES IT)IS WORRIED ABOUT THE FIAT OF HIS SCHOOL,THEN THE QUALITY OF EDUCATION AT THIS POINT.

KIPP Empower Academy
7511 Raymond Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90044
Last modified KIPP Empower Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
KIPP Empower Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top