Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted November 18, 2015
Amazing school that empowers teachers to use creative ways to make learning fun! My son enjoys going to school and has a new story of what he learned every day.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 18, 2015
I can't say enough about how great this school has been for our family. Our teachers for the last 3 years have been phenomenal. The dedication, innovation and creativity is amazing. My child was able to learn how to read and work math problems by 1st grade. Aside from the academic achievements, the teachers go above and beyond to ensure issues and relationships between kids are smooth sailing and that conflicts are dealt with immediately.

Posted October 28, 2015
Valley Charter is fabulous on every level. This is my oldest daughter's 6th year and my younger twins' 3rd and every year gets better and better. The curriculum is so well thought out and implemented that the kids don't even realize how much they're learning because they enjoy it so much. Instead of lecturing kids on the planets, they put on a humorous play. Instead of teaching history they create a real life museum. I feel like I literally won the lottery to have my kids in this nurturing, fun and effective environment. The proof isn't in the test scores but if it was...my 5th grader tested high! I highly recommend VCES if you are looking for something alternative to the LAUSD experience. Or if you just like great schools.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 28, 2015
Leslie Lainer the principal of our school is a fearless leader. She has such a strong passionate dedication to making the school the best it can be and we are extremely lucky to have her. She always has time to listen to parent concerns and child concerns.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted October 28, 2015
Every teacher at this school is amazing. I have twins and there are only two teachers per grade so I would have a problem if there was any bad apples. I look forward to every year because of these great teachers.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted October 28, 2015
The school has a strong focus on literacy and reading everyday is the main homework. There is not a lot of "busy work." I appreciate that as a parent and feel my kids have just enough to reinforce the lessons but nothing more to get in the way of family time and other activities.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted October 28, 2015
The school uses something called Cool Tools to help kids understand what another child is feeling. It's also a very small school so all of the kids get to know each other and develop personal relationships to all of the teachers.

Posted August 07, 2015
My son has attended Valley Charter Elementary for the past two years, and the attention to each student is clearly shown. Teachers take the time to individually plan goals, and study guides. Friends and family in other schools marvel at the rate of improvement that my son has had in these two years. Staff is friendly and professional, the grounds are clean and their activities are some of the most creative I've seen for Kinder/1st-5 graders. Their reading-buddy system has been wonderful as it gives younger students an older partner and someone to look up to when it comes to reading.

Posted June 03, 2014
Valley Charter Elementary School is a warm and welcoming school. The teachers are loving and smart. The education my kids are getting is unsurpassed and the individualized expectations have really been put the test! Conflicts between kids are not always handled by the aides on the yard, but if they reach the teachers, are handled swiftly and effectively. All in all not a perfect experience, but a great one!

Posted August 22, 2013
Funny thing about writing this review is that I don't attend Valley Charter. But lots of my friends' families are there and they LOVE it. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. I loved the tour myself. If we get in, we're going! Please ignore my star ratings - it's not fair to rate a school that I don't attend. I just wanted to comment on what I've heard.

16514 Nordhoff Street, Los Angeles, CA  91343
Last modified Valley Charter Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley Charter Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top