Public charter
Los Angeles, CA

Posted June 03, 2014
Valley Charter Elementary School is a warm and welcoming school. The teachers are loving and smart. The education my kids are getting is unsurpassed and the individualized expectations have really been put the test! Conflicts between kids are not always handled by the aides on the yard, but if they reach the teachers, are handled swiftly and effectively. All in all not a perfect experience, but a great one!

Posted August 22, 2013
Funny thing about writing this review is that I don't attend Valley Charter. But lots of my friends' families are there and they LOVE it. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. I loved the tour myself. If we get in, we're going! Please ignore my star ratings - it's not fair to rate a school that I don't attend. I just wanted to comment on what I've heard.

Posted August 19, 2013
I agree this is an excellent school. I also have never had anybody speak in Spanish. Who ever wrote that review is not saying the truth. I say go check for yourself and you will be amazed what a marvelous school this is :-)

Posted August 17, 2013
That last review is simple not true -I have had nobody speak to me in spanish or a meeting held in Spanish. The kids are great at VCES!!! WE have a dedicated wonder principal and staff! That review is far from the truth!!

Posted May 16, 2013
First and foremost,this is a GREAT school! Our son is excited and happy about the many projects he is invoved in at school,and we couldnt be more thrilled! This is a school that cares,and we have never felt there were any "cliques" that affected things in any negative way....The teachers are really supportive and challenging,the staff is lovely,and parent involvement is strong.If your looking for a really fine school for your children,Valley Charter should be at the top of your list!!

Posted April 07, 2013
For a parent faced with public school as the only other option, Valley Charter turned out to be a blessing. I am most thankful every day when my kids leave the house with big smiles and come home with big stories about all of the amazing things they did at school. High praise to all the teachers at Valley Charter and to an amazing principal and staff. As for the other parent who felt somewhat "left out" of what goes on with the parents and the play dates.... all I can say is don't take things so personally or you will be miserable all your life. It is up to you, as a leader and not a follower, to break down those barriers and extend yourself. I am a working parent and I find that simply volunteering at the school and becoming involved with the fundraisers and other school related events, people know me and I know them! You really have to put yourself out there to make things happen, and volunteering is a great way to do that. I am not one of those "clique" type parents and I have connected with many parents at VCES that care more about the kids than they do about themselves. It is not just about the play dates! It is about the kids and how we can best serve them.

Valley Charter Elementary School 2

Posted March 15, 2013
The school, and it's community, talk about community building and embracing diversity, but it is ALL TALK and absolutely NO action! Most of the founding parents, that talk about "including" everyone, are happy that they will be out of there before he 50% diversity,HAS to be implemented, because its written into the charter! Is pathetic. The parents only allow play dates with children ,who's parents are with in their own "clique". I strongly believe that the only reason parents think is it such an AMAZING school is because they get to see all their own friends there. What're they reaching their own children? Just be friends with the classmates in the right zip code? Unfortunately, we made a mistake, by changing schools. We gave it 3 years, but nothing has changed. We will be gone next year. Academically speaking it is ok. My child is at least a year behind, we will be spending the summer, catching up.And we will find another school for next year.

Posted July 25, 2012
VCES is a wonderful school! We made a tough decision to change schools mid-year and the transition could not have gone better. Amazing and nurturing teachers, differentiated instruction so that children learn more effectively, and a true sense of community, make the school stand out. Though the school may not have all of the enrichment activities and amenities of more established schools (private or public), they more than make up for it when it comes to creating an enriching project-based curriculum and environment in which the children truly love to learn and go to school. Before transferring to VCES, there were several mornings that our children did not want to go to school. I do not exaggerate when I say that our children NEVER complained about going to school once at VCES (not even for state testing!). In fact, after giving her teacher a hug goodbye on her last day of first grade, our daughter couldn t stop crying - she literally cried the entire drive home (and then some) because she was so upset at the thought of leaving for the summer. It s still summer break right now, but our children can t wait for September to be back at VCES! And we can t wait either!

Posted June 14, 2012
We feel so fortunate to be a part of the community that is Valley Charter. No it isn't perfect and lacks some of the bells and whistles of larger, more established schools. There is no library or science lab for example. But the classroom environment, I think, is far more stimulating than the typical classroom due to the excellence of the faculty and the commitment to project based learning. What a wonderful place for our children to learn and grow.

Valley Charter Elementary School 1

Posted April 10, 2012
To damm it with faint praise - Valley Charter is better than most public schools. Unfortunately, here is a lot of lip service about differentiating instruction for learning differences but very little real understanding or meaningful support. As a former parent, I found the Principal and teaching staff to be difficult and obstructive, displaying a willful ignorance to the harm they were doing to my child. There is no meaningful support provided for struggling children within the classroom.

Valley Charter Elementary School
16514 Nordhoff Street, Los Angeles, CA  91343
Last modified Valley Charter Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley Charter Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top