Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)

Smoke and mirrors! This school site is not run well. There is no organized curriculum, no technology and no discipline. I pulled my child out of this school after realizing everything is surface deep. The staff is young and inexperienced. They are unaware of the importance of academics especially when trying to get your child to pass entrance exams into middle schools. TONS of testing on iPads though. My child took 9 sets of assessments in a year. There is little "project-based" learning happening. The principal is a challenge is to communicate with. My hopes were high after the school tour and exploring the school's website. After a few weeks my hopes were replaced with disappointment. The school campus is very dirty, so much that my child didn't want to use the bathrooms. The classroom(s) had mice and roaches. I am happy to have my child back at our local public school.

The teachers try but there is a lot of fluff. Most of the staff is young and new to the profession who do not know how to challenge students. Curriculum is easy. Very little technology-related learning. Science is barely taught. The school shares a campus with an LAUSD school. The charter classrooms, hallways and especially the bathrooms are dirty. Very few fifth graders were able to pass middle school entrance exams. I believe this is due to their weak curriculum. I asked to see a copy of what the school used to teach math, reading, science and social studies and never recieved anything other than a one page outline (which had spelling mistakes on it). Lots of room for improvement but until the administration changes it will stay the same. This is not a constructivist school. My daughter is always doing worksheets and when I questioned her teacher I was showed a poster in which the teacher said was a "hands on project".

Wonderful principal. Great parent involvement. Yes, there are growing pains but everything is headed in the right direction.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Teachers are very young, still trying to figure it out. Not sure how this school has short days every Wednesday for teacher development and their skills aren't sharpened. Are they sitting around doing ABCMouse.com?

Amount of homework: Disagree

Students should be given more homework to make sure they are understanding the lesson outside of school. My child is in Kumon. THANK GOD! If it wasn't for that program, my child would really be failing at this school. Again, the test percentages fall between a D and F. Giving more homework wouldn't hurt. But, again, this school focuses more on money than developing stronger minds.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

How honest is a school that doesn't tell parents about things they should really know? Parents should attend the Board meetings to find out the truth about this school. Honesty doesn't live here. How can this school help develop honesty in students when it doesn't practice honesty to the parents?

The programs at CWC Hollywood and at CWC Middle School are outstanding. Small class size and aides in every classroom allow for dynamic small group instruction. Instruction is focused on developing critical thinking skills across the curriculum. The school culture recognizes diversity as a great asset, and lessons to support social-emotional development are taught in every classroom. No school is perfect, but we feel blessed to have found this gem of a public elementary school when our son was in 4th grade. Our son has continued to the new Middle School (CWC Silverlake 6th Grade), and it's better than we could have hoped. The principal, teachers and staff at the Middle School are fantastic. My son is developing independence and confidence in a very nurturing and inclusive middle school environment. At a fragile age, the students are supported in both academic and social-emotional development. Small group instruction continues and high expectations remain. Homework is minimal and meaningful. The Middle School will grow each year, but it will always be a small school and a great option for families who want a diverse and challenging public education.

We moved our children out of a well respected private School as the kids were unhappy. Moving the kids into CWC has been a wonderful experience . The Principal, teachers, administrative Team, the families and everyone I have had contact with have been wonderful. The education the children are receiving is on par or better than the private school and the teachers and staff know all the children intimately. It has been an incredibly easy transition entering mid year and the philosophy Of the school and the focus on the social and emotional is truly lived at this wonderful school!

Our son has been at CWC Hollywood since kinder and is now in 3'rd grade. It's been an absolutely great experience for us all. He's thriving and loving his school. All the teachers have been great and I agree with previous parent that this school rival other private schools. Love the philosophy which really creates a love for learning! Our son is excelling and keeps getting that extra "push" to go even further... Yes, the outdoor space could be better but I think the school is doing the best with what they have and the kids are perfectly happy. There's a really strong parent involvement which creates a really great sense of a community. My only wish is that there was some kind of sport program since our son is very athletic. Fingers crossed that we'll go all the way through high school!!

Citizens of the World Charter School is a terrific school. My son has been at the school since day one. My son has excelled beyond my hopes. The only complaint is that the office staff gossips about the parents (lunch parents in particular). The principal is wonderful and tries very hard to give the kids the best education and social experience. The teachers are tough, but have to be to keep all the kids focused and controlled. Overall, my opinion used to be a community experience until one of the staff called CPS on our family. The staff will stab you in the back, especially Gloria the lead coordinator. Gloria never has a smile and looks as if she is judging you with every glare. In spite of the staff, I love the school and what it has given to my son.

Last modified Citizens of the World Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.