Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted January 30, 2016
The programs at CWC Hollywood and at CWC Middle School are outstanding. Small class size and aides in every classroom allow for dynamic small group instruction. Instruction is focused on developing critical thinking skills across the curriculum. The school culture recognizes diversity as a great asset, and lessons to support social-emotional development are taught in every classroom. No school is perfect, but we feel blessed to have found this gem of a public elementary school when our son was in 4th grade. Our son has continued to the new Middle School (CWC Silverlake 6th Grade), and it's better than we could have hoped. The principal, teachers and staff at the Middle School are fantastic. My son is developing independence and confidence in a very nurturing and inclusive middle school environment. At a fragile age, the students are supported in both academic and social-emotional development. Small group instruction continues and high expectations remain. Homework is minimal and meaningful. The Middle School will grow each year, but it will always be a small school and a great option for families who want a diverse and challenging public education.

Posted May 02, 2014
We moved our children out of a well respected private School as the kids were unhappy. Moving the kids into CWC has been a wonderful experience . The Principal, teachers, administrative Team, the families and everyone I have had contact with have been wonderful. The education the children are receiving is on par or better than the private school and the teachers and staff know all the children intimately. It has been an incredibly easy transition entering mid year and the philosophy Of the school and the focus on the social and emotional is truly lived at this wonderful school!

Posted February 03, 2014
Our son has been at CWC Hollywood since kinder and is now in 3'rd grade. It's been an absolutely great experience for us all. He's thriving and loving his school. All the teachers have been great and I agree with previous parent that this school rival other private schools. Love the philosophy which really creates a love for learning! Our son is excelling and keeps getting that extra "push" to go even further... Yes, the outdoor space could be better but I think the school is doing the best with what they have and the kids are perfectly happy. There's a really strong parent involvement which creates a really great sense of a community. My only wish is that there was some kind of sport program since our son is very athletic. Fingers crossed that we'll go all the way through high school!!

Posted January 06, 2014
Citizens of the World Charter School is a terrific school. My son has been at the school since day one. My son has excelled beyond my hopes. The only complaint is that the office staff gossips about the parents (lunch parents in particular). The principal is wonderful and tries very hard to give the kids the best education and social experience. The teachers are tough, but have to be to keep all the kids focused and controlled. Overall, my opinion used to be a community experience until one of the staff called CPS on our family. The staff will stab you in the back, especially Gloria the lead coordinator. Gloria never has a smile and looks as if she is judging you with every glare. In spite of the staff, I love the school and what it has given to my son.

Posted October 16, 2013
Awesome school!!! We're very please currently at the Silver Lake/Echo Park location. The Parent involvement is amazing so many great minds working together to better our future!

Posted September 04, 2013
My daughter has been here from K to 3rd. The principal is fantastic, and the teachers are all very dedicated and enthusiastic. The creative writing program is really wonderful. The school spirit and parent involvement create a fun and welcoming atmosphere. The teaching curriculum and teachers rival private schools. The only downside is the facility, but the awkwardness of the space is improving as we take over more of the middle school facility. As CWC has grown, it has been given additional rooms, and now has most of the north end of the campus. This makes for more outdoor and play space for the kids. We also have access to the large grass football/soccer field, as well as the large auditorium and a dance studio on the middle school campus. In addition, CWC now has a beautiful new campus for the CWC-S elementary school and the proposed CWC middle school. Hopefully we will eventually go all the way through high school! If you can get in, I would recommend coming to this school. It's pretty amazing!

Citizens of the World Charter School 2

Posted September 02, 2013
There are many wonderful things about this school: The fact that they have terrific art, music and PE programs. Not just that they have them but they are really good. I'm surprised that people have complained about the school grounds. I think it is actually very nice with average sized classrooms. The teachers and parents put lots of children's art on the walls both in the classroom and hallways, which I love. Parent involvement is high. However, given all of the positives, there is a major negative. There is a disconnect between the CWC philosophy which is progressive and the actual execution of it. They do not address the student as an individual the way they promote that they do. Also, some teachers are terrific and some are terrible. In the 2 years my daughter was there I saw an amazing teacher leave and a terrible teacher stay with full support of the administration. Teachers manage the classroom quite traditionally with lots and lots of rules that are unnecessary. TAs are used more to police children and keep them in line and so the quality of teaching goes down as the primary teacher is not engaging the students to learn, but, instead, forcing them.

Posted August 29, 2013
CWC is a great school. The staff is committed and excited about being there. My sons enjoy going to school every day. There are lots of opportunities for hands on learning. They do a great job at individual attention to all learning levels.

Posted July 24, 2013
. The resources used for the curriculum were accessible to parents. I read extensively into the Reader's and Writer's Workshop by Lucy Calkins and by nature of the program, there can be no "cookie cutter" lessons as a previous reviewer posted. The lessons are tailored to the child's reading level, which again, my third grader was reading at a higher reading level, so I was happy she wasn't forced to read "third grade" books because she is in third grade. She was challenged with novels. The writing teacher taught second grade standards to the second graders and third grade standards to the third graders. While I think the school should have supplemental materials for their math program, the second graders worked out of the second grade books and the third graders worked out of the third grade books...twice a week the students were placed into groups to either be challenged with new material or work on basic skills needed...this made my happy as my daughter is working above grade level in math.

Posted July 24, 2013
It was also made very clear to me that the school would not have a GATE program like the district schools. I'm unclear why some parents are so quick to want to label their child as gifted, unless their child is struggling in class, and that gifted label would help in some way. We were told in the coming years the school would work on a program to address "gifted" students, but it would in no way happen in year 1. My high-achieving student's needs were met in the classroom though so I was fine with no "gifted" program per say. I loved that the school offered art, music, and PE twice a week, although I think these specialized classes should be more structured so the students can maximize their time. I observed admin accomodating and bending over backwards to support parents. Overall, I am so pleased with this school - it is the best place for our daughter. I am hopeful that we get a cleaner facility next year - but that is decided by LAUSD - not chosen by CWC.

Citizens of the World Charter School
1316 North Bronson Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90028
Last modified Citizens of the World Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Citizens of the World Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top