No rating

St. Jerome Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 223 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $595,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,840.

Posted September 19, 2011

We had the worst experience with our daughter in this school. Very disappointed with the school leadership. We left sad and frustrated

Posted February 27, 2010

I am not Catholic, not even religious, not really a fan of private schools ... I am just a parent who believes in the value of a quality education, reasonable prices, cultural diversity and fun extracurricular activities. St. Jerome delivers all of these qualities quite effectively.

Posted January 23, 2010

At St. Jerome School, our three children s teachers have been kind, enthusiastic and responsive to each child s needs. Their St. Jerome education prepared our older children well for high school: they were accepted into Loyola High School and Notre Dame High School, as well as Bishop Montgomery High School. Being a small school, St. Jerome is also a place where a child doesn t need to be a super athlete to participate in the sport of their choice. Our children have run track and played basketball, volleyball, softball and football. Thanks to great parent coaches, some of these teams even won CYO championships. Our youngest child is now in the third grade, with the same teacher our older two had. We had a choice, and we chose St. Jerome again.

Posted January 22, 2010

With 3 children having attended different schools I have come to appreciate that there is no perfect school. My daughter transferred to St. Jerome in 5th grade and I regret that my older two did not attend this school. The campus is very large, the technology is state of the art and integrated into the daily curriculum, the extra curricular activities cover the spectrum of arts, school newspaper, community service, student council, sports and more. The sports program is competitive yet it teaches children the values of sportsmanship. Academically the children are will prepared for high school. What I like most is the accessibility of the faculty, staff, principal and the pastor. The new hall and gym is a real 'gem' in this community! St. Jerome offers a diverse, safe, challenging and spiritual environment which develops the students as a whole person.

Posted October 12, 2009

Dedicated teachers and a great student body.

Posted October 12, 2009

I love St. Jerome for a number of reasons. Top among those reasons are that this is a Faith based education with a true commitment to technology... preparing our children for a very competitive academic environment as they move into High School and beyond. Wonderful involved parents and lots of opportunity for involvement!

Posted October 12, 2009

Spiritual growth is an integral part of the development of the whole child in an academically strong atmosphere where each child is values as and individual and the family is truly a partner in the education and the formation of values. Children are prepared to the challenges they are sure to face in a world that values profit over people.

Posted October 12, 2009

It is the Best school!!!!! You get a quality high-school preparation education with a strong, Faith based education.....what more could you ask for, The Teachers, Staff, and Community are great, not to mention the students.

Posted October 12, 2009

St. Jerome's School in Westchester a great place for kids to grow and be educated...

Posted September 17, 2009

Everything the parent stated above is true, so that parent is not alone in their feelings regarding this school. Most of the teachers put on the happy face for the parents, but really do not seem to have any special interest in the children. They don't stay late to offer help and if they do offer help to tutor the students, they charge, which they should not do on the school campus. Though aesthetically pleasing, St. Jerome has a lot of internal issues they need to improve on. As the school's student body has changed, so have the attitudes of the teachers, not always in a positive way. If their administration sincerely cares about the children and parents, then they would start with a new group of middle school teachers, and, yes, the math curriculum has room for improvement. Please take notes that most of the other comments are not recent.

Posted December 20, 2008

I pained over my choice for elementary school and ultimately made my decision based on proximity to my home. My son is in his first year at St. Jerome. I am so impressed at how much he has learned and it's only December! He came to the school with strong preparation from preschool and home but I noticed a striking improvement even in the first month. His writing is impressive and he is reading and spelling quite well for his age of 5. He has gained confidence and has many friends. The Kinder teacher Mrs. McGee is excellent and there is alot of parent involvement. i know other children who are in Notre Dame Academy, St. Tim's Visitation and I am very happy with my decision.

Posted November 19, 2008

I am a fairly new parent to St. Jerome. I transferred my children and they are very happy there. My children are striving and the the teachers have helped my child develop his self-esteem. I believe their curriculum prepares the children well for high school. They are a little weak in the math area, but SJ has adopted a new program to help boost scores up in this area. The teachers are dedicated and well prepared. They genuinely care about the students. Fabulous first grade teacher! My child left first grade prepared for third grade.

Posted July 28, 2008

My son has attended St. Jerome for the past three years from grade 5 - 7 and he will finish 8th grade in June 2009. Our experience has been both good and bad. The good things are: small in overall size, lots of extracurricular activities, and very involved parents (some more than others). The bad things are: extremely punitive environment, lots of favoritism, very cliquish among both parents and children. Also, they say they offer Spanish; however, the kids rarely have any Spanish instruction, therefore, they learn little to nothing. According to parents of St. Jerome graduates, many of the kids, who have matriculated to Loyola High School or other academically challenging high schools, find that they are not well-prepared for math and science, so they struggle. If I could do it again, I don't think I'd select St. Jerome.

Posted April 3, 2007

This school was a wonderful experience for both of my children. The academic program is strong and expectations are high. The sports program is fabulous, including even the lower grade levels. Parents are actively involved. The student body is diverse, giving the students an opportunity to interact with students from different backgrounds.

Posted December 20, 2006

I love this school. It is the best school ever. The teachers are nice and the academic program teaches you some high school level things.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 26, 2006

I went to this school from K-8 and found I received a wonderful education. The teachers were extremely knowledgeable and the principal was superb! I also appreciated the religious education I also received and cherish all memories from this school (and church).
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 23, 2006

The school meets the educational needs of my child. It offers a challenging curriculem includig technology in most core areas. The religious education was the initial attraction but St. Jerome offers so much more.

Posted January 21, 2006

When I went to this school, I loved it. The teachers were amazing - and extrememly helpfull and caring.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 30, 2005

Incredibly archaic school teaching system. This school seems to think all children are ADHD, especially if they have any kind of energy. Boys are not welcome here. Most of the kids are not Catholic, skewing the ability to have a true Catholic education. One child left the school without supervision and was found two blocks away by his parents in a public fast food restaurant. They are only interested in getting money, and not in providing exceptional education to these childern. There are very few sports and outside activities, and the church does not support the ventures of the school. This place needs a serious overhaul in staff. Pathetic place for everyone.

Posted February 9, 2005

St. Jerome is a wonderful community that provides for a nurturing environment for its students. Its programs include art, music, football, volleyball, basketball, and track. Grades 1 - 6 have computers, science, music and Spanish as a part of their regular curriculum. Each student is taught respect and responsibility through positive reinforcement. Parents are very involved in school activities and decision-making committees. The children are happy and challenged in a caring environment.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ms. Suzanne Jones
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5580 Thornburn Street