St. Jerome Elementary School 1

Posted June 22, 2014
Completely disappointed parents complain about the children but the truth is the middle school literature teacher was unqualified and unprepared. My kid do not read a quality book or complete a writing assignment since February. The Math/History teacher should base his test on his interpretation of Catholicism and his family because again my child was not challenged. The principal in September kept preaching that the children would be challenged and engaged however the teachers she challenged won and she left and we were left with mediocracy. It's a shame because most of the parents are paying for what they could get at a public school for free! I think the parents who ran the principal away bit off what they didn't understand. St Jerome is a waste of money!!!

St. Jerome Elementary School 1

Posted May 14, 2014
This school due to budgetary constraints has resorted to allowing unscrupulous parents access to other parents personal information and other sensitive information. A parent sits in the office from time to time peeking at sensitive information that should not be disclosed and then she discusses this information with other parents. This is outrageous. Her child is also a bully, a known "mean girl" and is allowed to get away with it because there is no one to monitor and everyone is afraid of them. We took our kids out after 4 years of the school going downhill and we will not return. Each year this school gets worse and worse. This is just disgraceful! And the former principal was let go due to unknown reasons, she also allowed, if not encouraged this type of behavior. Get it together or this school will surely crumble.

St. Jerome Elementary School 3

Posted March 31, 2014
This school is pretty good. I think that the middle school will get better over time and that the elementary school is great. The sixth grade however is out of control. But, the new principals are putting things in place and manny of this years sixth grade (class of 2016) will not be able to return to the school because if behavioral issues. Something that greatly disappoints me is that an elder teacher who used to teach is being taken advantaged of by the sixth graders. I think that all together in maybe a year or two saint jerome will be restored to its greatness and there will be no more if them making teachers cry. This year and next year will be the last if it's fooling around.

St. Jerome Elementary School 4

Posted March 04, 2014
My child is in the Pre-K class and absolutely loves the teachers, classmates and even the after school care. So far I've been very pleased with the teaching style and curriculum to prepare the students in moving on to the next grade. I do love the active parent community. I am concerned about the recent leadership changes but hope that things stabilize to move SJS forward.

St. Jerome Elementary School 4

Posted August 27, 2013
I am new to the school, so this post may be a bit premature. However, I am compelled to share my views thus far.... Pros: My child loves the school. She feels learning is "fun" and enjoys socializing with the other students. The curriculum appears up to standard. I especially appreciate how the principal has taken steps to implement the common core standards into the curriculum. The school appears safe and the kids are well taken care of. The small community fosters respect and an ethical character. Cons: The principal has the best interest of the school, however she can tighten up certain aspects of administration. For instance, the website is not updated, she did not give details concerning the ipad program until three days before school the start of school, and also changed key details of the Parent Handbook. The newly revised Parent Handbook was not given out until the Monday before classes began. I come from an environment that is structured and student centered. I think the principal is making positive improvements in the school, but could be a bit more Type A, so things will not seem somewhat "raggedy' at the school.

Posted July 11, 2013
Change needs to occur and the principal needs to eliminate some of the negative parents.... I would love to have a one on one conversation with the parents that are so negative. A Catholic School expert- really I didint know there was such a thing???? I wonder how you dress, is your child reading and writing on grade level, probalbly not because of your post. Believe me I am not Ms. Jones just a person who dontates money to the school for all the parents that cant pay their bills. Have a wonderful day Catholic School Expert! You are such a winner!

Posted July 11, 2013
I am a big supporter of St. Jerome School. I have been a parent there for many years. My youngest child started last year and was able to flourish during the school year. I was ecstatic to hear the Kindergarten teacher was hired permanently as a member of our faculty. I am thankful the principal is taking steps to bring in staff members who are qualified and credential. Where the principal is new, she hasn t just sit around and let past systems continue that were not up to par. She stepped in and changed the math program as it was outdated. This upcoming school year we will have a new science curriculum. She also offers staff development to advance our seasoned teachers. She knows what it takes to teach and the importance of keeping children engaged in the classroom as she holds a teaching credential as well. She is making sure our school will CONTINUE to be above standard if not equal to other schools that cost much to attend and ensure our students will CONTINUE to enter the top high school as they graduate from St. Jerome School. This year's 8th grade class got into top notch high schools. I am looking forward to the years ahead!

Posted July 10, 2013
I love and support SJS, I've been there for eight years. Both of my children started in kinder and I couldn't be happier my daughter thrived in kinder this past year. I'm so happy the sub for kinder was offered a full time teaching position, she is well qualified and will do an excellent job! The new principal is a real and caring person and a mom she is in touch with what parents want for their children. The most recent 8th grade was excepted into some of the top schools in the city. What more could you want? SJS is a complete school academically, it offers sports, art and music, I can't say enough great things about SJS

Posted June 22, 2013
I am always amazed at the negativity and resisitance to change when it is required for improvement. Ms. Jones is obviously an education first princpal that cares about all of the students that attend SJS. Not only does she care about the students personally but she wants them all to be as prepared as they can be for the next chapter in their lives, academically socially, and spiritually. How many Principals are education first. That's the kind of school principal I want leading SJS and the kind of principal that I want ensuring my children get a challenging and rewarding educational experience that is positive. There have been changes at SJS but given time the changes will prove to be great for the students and great for the school.

Posted June 21, 2013
As teachers at SJS, we have had the privilege of working in a school community with a talented faculty and caring families. Working together with parents as our partners has been very important to us, and we have prided ourselves on our constructive relationships with SJS families. When the time came in our lives to have children of our own, we were touched at the level of support shared with us by the students and parents. When we made our decisions about how best to parent our own children, it was with the support of our pastor and administrator and in the spirit of the examples of devoted parenthood we have seen in the families at SJS. Our personal decisions to stay home with our babies had nothing to do with our job satisfaction or feelings about the school's administration, but rather how we felt about being the best parents we could be. The decision to leave our students and colleagues was incredibly difficult for each of us, but we were blessed to have the support of our community. This, in our opinion, is among the best qualities of the SJS community- the warmth and support of a real family working together towards a common goal, educating Christian leaders for our world.

St. Jerome Elementary School
5580 Thornburn Street, Los Angeles, CA  90045
Last modified St. Jerome Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. Jerome Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top