Los Angeles, CA

Posted June 28, 2015
This school is the worst school in LA. They claim to be academic, but they are not. They use old books, everything is rope memorization, and they give endless amounts of homework. They are so behind times and modern education. Just ask detailed questions, but they truly are not truthful. They have no rules on bullying, and just ignore it. The school is mean spirited. If you told me there was another scandal at the school, I would not be surprised. They have a new principal who is awful. He has never even taught grade school, or has any experience. He was a college professor, that has horrible reviews on line. The school had six teachers leave after this year, and they only have one class per grade. They are also so unorganized. They expect the children to be on top of their endless amounts of work, but the teachers have zero accountability. I truly don't see this school staying open long. Please do your research. It is an awful environment for children. If you want a Catholic School look somewhere else. Trust me...

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 28, 2015

Posted June 08, 2015
St Martin of Tours is the perfect school for families that give high value to excellency in academics. My daughter is graduating Kindergarten this year and loves her school! She feels empowered and challenged. True, she has 2-3 pages of homework every day but we do not feel that it is excessive at all. (15-20 minutes max.) I am surprised to read so many negative comments related to the strong academics when this trait is what makes SMT unique in a city plagued with expensive and sub-par schools. If you want a school that will prepare your child for an "Ivy League" future this is the one because kids actually learn. (My daughter just turned six. She is adding and subtracting two digit numbers with ease, and reading advanced books with outstanding reading comprehension.) :) The school doesn't have a "big grassy yard" but she has not complained because there is a park structure for the little ones at the back of the school. It is not an "artistic" school either. I provide my daughter with that creative part after school with lessons and activities. There was a new principal this school year and the school is still adapting to a new leadership style, but most of the wonderful teachers that have been with the school for years are still there and we feel that the transition has gone very smoothly. We are very happy so far with the school and we will enroll our younger son in the new TK program next year.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 08, 2015
Absolutely YES!!! Since day one they teach the children the importance of being "kind, caring and considerate". :)

Posted June 06, 2015
This school has really prepared me for high school. By the time I graduated, I could pick any high school of my choice since all that hard work and discipline the school gave me. Although the grading system is a bit more strict, it makes the high school transition a lot easier.

Posted April 25, 2015
This school is horrible. They say they are advanced but they are not. They just push the children really hard with homework. They give so much homework that your child has no time for an outside life. They test your child so much, so your child is doing homework plus studying for tests all the time. If you talk to them about the homework/ spreading out tests they just get defensive. They also do not deal with bullies. They seem to like them and attract them. They are also so unorganized to the point it works against your child. It is a very mean spirited environment. They also just hired a new principal that has never even taught grade school children. The school is a mess. They can't even fill their classes. Please be aware of this school.

Posted April 25, 2015
I would not apply or attend this school. Do your research and ask parents. This school is all about taking lots of tests, hours of homework and no outside life. Your children will be miserable at this school. Just do your research.

St. Martin Of Tours 2

Posted January 17, 2015
I am a former student and I would like to say this school is great for people who want to be smart. Just smart. It is not creative at ALL. The grading system is shifted so that an A in regular school is a B at SMT. Also note that teachers expect you to have at LEAST a 94% and above. The bathrooms are gross, we play and eat on a parking lot, and some of the teachers are just complete idiots despite the endless abounds of fundraisers. Don't get me wrong, the teachers that have been here for 10+ years are great, but the school is going downhill. I witnessed 3 teachers get fired in the same 3 months, which in those months we learned absolutely nothing. By the time you're in 7th grade you will be staying up until 1am doing homework. If you ask anyone in any grade they will say they hate the school, because to be honest, there is nothing to like EXCEPT the advanced academics. So people bare with the cruel and cliquey environment and the lack of a social life for the above grade level textbooks. This school definitely prepares you for high school though. If you come here, just don't be surprised when the school kills you inside.

Posted June 04, 2013
I couldn't be happier at SMT. I have multiple children in elementary and junior high grades at SMT, and they are loving, smart, active, thoughtful, and determined students. The environment is not only nurturing, but also open to communication. I have always had positive responses/actions when I have approached teachers or leadership. I have one child with a learning disability and they have gone out of their way to make sure that he supported, encouraged and comfortable in his learning. I look at all of the SMT graduates that return back to see Mrs Oswald and thank her for their foundation and skills. Yes, there is a strong academic focus (which I am grateful for), but there is also an equally strong focus on the "whole" child and developing their community and personal qualities. When I was sick, the 1st and 3rd grade classes sent me notes in the hospital (each and every one of them). The parent community is friendly, fun and virtuous. This is a school that shows gratitude for any parent time or money given. It is not one of the private schools that expects numerous and large donations. It's an amazing community of children and parents.

St. Martin Of Tours 2

Posted March 06, 2013
I have to agree with previous negative reviews. Look elsewhere. Not a warm, nurturing, "love of learning" environment.

11955 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90049