Los Angeles, CA

Posted April 25, 2015
This school is horrible. They say they are advanced but they are not. They just push the children really hard with homework. They give so much homework that your child has no time for an outside life. They test your child so much, so your child is doing homework plus studying for tests all the time. If you talk to them about the homework/ spreading out tests they just get defensive. They also do not deal with bullies. They seem to like them and attract them. They are also so unorganized to the point it works against your child. It is a very mean spirited environment. They also just hired a new principal that has never even taught grade school children. The school is a mess. They can't even fill their classes. Please be aware of this school.

Posted April 25, 2015
I would not apply or attend this school. Do your research and ask parents. This school is all about taking lots of tests, hours of homework and no outside life. Your children will be miserable at this school. Just do your research.

St. Martin Of Tours 2

Posted January 17, 2015
I am a former student and I would like to say this school is great for people who want to be smart. Just smart. It is not creative at ALL. The grading system is shifted so that an A in regular school is a B at SMT. Also note that teachers expect you to have at LEAST a 94% and above. The bathrooms are gross, we play and eat on a parking lot, and some of the teachers are just complete idiots despite the endless abounds of fundraisers. Don't get me wrong, the teachers that have been here for 10+ years are great, but the school is going downhill. I witnessed 3 teachers get fired in the same 3 months, which in those months we learned absolutely nothing. By the time you're in 7th grade you will be staying up until 1am doing homework. If you ask anyone in any grade they will say they hate the school, because to be honest, there is nothing to like EXCEPT the advanced academics. So people bare with the cruel and cliquey environment and the lack of a social life for the above grade level textbooks. This school definitely prepares you for high school though. If you come here, just don't be surprised when the school kills you inside.

Posted June 04, 2013
I couldn't be happier at SMT. I have multiple children in elementary and junior high grades at SMT, and they are loving, smart, active, thoughtful, and determined students. The environment is not only nurturing, but also open to communication. I have always had positive responses/actions when I have approached teachers or leadership. I have one child with a learning disability and they have gone out of their way to make sure that he supported, encouraged and comfortable in his learning. I look at all of the SMT graduates that return back to see Mrs Oswald and thank her for their foundation and skills. Yes, there is a strong academic focus (which I am grateful for), but there is also an equally strong focus on the "whole" child and developing their community and personal qualities. When I was sick, the 1st and 3rd grade classes sent me notes in the hospital (each and every one of them). The parent community is friendly, fun and virtuous. This is a school that shows gratitude for any parent time or money given. It is not one of the private schools that expects numerous and large donations. It's an amazing community of children and parents.

St. Martin Of Tours 2

Posted March 06, 2013
I have to agree with previous negative reviews. Look elsewhere. Not a warm, nurturing, "love of learning" environment.

Posted August 01, 2012
Very good school! I pulled both of my kids out of their previous private school to join SMT.The change couln't be more positive. This is a very nurturing school with a great focus on the academics. St Martin of Tours has changed our lives. My kids have become more compassionate and more caring because of the values that they teach them there. it's like a reinforcement of what we teach them at home. The parents and staff are very welcoming and there is a sense of community that we never experienced before at our other school.

Posted June 23, 2011
This school nearly destroyed my son. He transferred in and not only couldn't find friends, he couldn't even find anyone to look him in the eye. The children had all been traumatized in first grade and didn't know how to be children anymore. My son had been very popular at his previous school and couldn't understand what was up at this place. It was very painful to watch. Evil place.

Posted November 24, 2010
St. Martin of Tours is an excellent school with a nurturing learning environment. I don't understand what these other parents are complaining about. I have never met a parent who is unhappy with the school. Not only does it have a cordial faculty, but the students are family. Whenever I pick my child up I see the 8th graders playing with and hugging the younger children, all the children are laughing and merry, and the teachers encourage this amicable behavior. Although the environment may seem a bit too harsh and may give the student's little leeway, I look out the children who have graduated and how successful they are and this thought is effaced from my mind. My child loves the school. It is like going to her family everyday. The academics are superb and the physical education is promising.

Posted October 23, 2010
Run, don't walk from this school! The principle and staff take all morale out of students because the school has a ZERO nurturing environment. The school is marketed by the head as "the best bang for your buck and tells you the school is in the ranks of Carlthorp and Brentwood but at a third of the price". I realized early on that I made a huge mistake and pulled my child out of St Martins in kindergarten because I did not want my son to grow up heartless with a lack of spirit. There is a strong disconnect between the school and the church which turned my family off. The school is only interested in status seeking and it is a very cold environment. I would not recommend this school to anybody who doesn't want their child in a horrible environment.

Posted May 26, 2010
While no school is perfect, when the valedictorian's of two local (prestgious private high schools) in 2009 were both products of St. Martin of Tours, there must be something special going on. St. Martins is less focused on being a "touchy-feely" open learning instituion and more concerned with creating in young kids strong character with the critical thinking skills that are required in today's world. Its structure interlaced with Christian values and overlaid with a credo of individual responsibilty create a very strong community. Like most things-the more involved parents are (which is welcomed) the better the experience will be.

St. Martin Of Tours