No rating

Transfiguration

Private | K-8 | 158 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $310,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,210.

Posted May 20, 2014

I think this school is amazing. It has helped me excel in my grades, and improve my study skills. I will be attending High School next year and I'm proud to say that Transfiguration has taught me everything I know. I am thankful to my teachers and mentors who've helped me throughout the years and led me in the right direction. Transfiguration is the best! GO EAGLES!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 20, 2014

For years Transfiguration was considered to be a great school however, within the past several years this school has had lots of staffing changes and unfortunately not all for the better. I would suggest that anyone considering enrolling their young child should talk to some of the parents,interview the teacher and principal. Some of the teachers are great and some are fresh out of college and have no experience. The Kindergarten teacher seems sweet, but incompetent. The principal seems knowlegable, but not very interested in communicating much with parents. I suggest you save yourself the headache and look for another school.

Posted March 19, 2014

I took my son out of Transfiguration's 6th grade in Feb 2014. His grades were poor.I called the school several times. No response. The receptionist kept telling me that she'd call back with a time that I could meet with his teacher & principle. I've never waited 2 months to speak to in a school's administration. From Dec 2013 after I received his grades up until Feb. 2014. At some point, the principle should have picked up the phone to at least so hello. My goal was to map out a plan that would best serve the needs of my son. I had no desire to blame the school. I wanted to know I could I do to remedy this? I was uncomfortable leaving him at a school for over 40 hours a week, yet no one could spare 10 minutes to speak to me. This was way too strange & shady. My son is worth so much more. 7th grade is going to be really big for him next year. I couldn't afford for him to stay at Transfiguration with no plan in place. Just today, after 3 wks, his new school gave me a 10 wk blue print on how they planned to bring his grades up to par. I was blown away. He may not be an A+ student in 10 wks but nothing compares to how happy I am with this administration. COMMUNICATION IS KEY!!!

Posted December 11, 2013

Parents PLEASE do your research on this school before admitting your child. The past reviews I found was posted by school administrators; not real parents. Real parents have been pulling their children out of this school at an alarming rate. I'm one of those parents who this school has disappointed. Transfiguration used to be a pillar in the community. They served their community well & gave children the most desired level of an education. Transfiguration was in the business of producing upstanding citizens who had the right tools & life skills to serve any community. Now this school is in the business of taking money from any unknowing parent that fails victim to their OLD reputation. The school admin has taken a backseat in screening students. Now A students are taking the burden of not being able to focus due to disruptive, disrespectful, & disobeying students. Rather then remove these unfavorable students, Transfiguration has decided to keep these students & keep taking money from naive parents. These students have been kicked out of their previous school & are considered uncontrollable. And Transfiguration needs to start being HONEST about their current state of disarray.

Posted September 20, 2013

My child graduated last June (2013) and is attending a private high school. We have been so blessed to have been a part of Transfiguration's family! As my child goes on to the next phase of school, we will always be grateful to the administration, faculty & staff!!

Posted May 18, 2013

Transfiguration I have had my child here at Transfiguration since pre school and now he is about to graduate. We have been so happy here at Transfiguration, as my son has come to feel like his classmates are like family. I love the family atmosphere of the school, and everyone works together to benefit the children. i hope our family can find the same atmosphere at our new school. Thank you "Transfig" for a wonderful year!

Posted November 30, 2012

This school is wonderful!! I have three sons attending, and each one of them looks forward to school everyday. The staff goes above and beyond what you may expect from any school. There are so many activities my sons participate in, football, basketball, Spanish, piano lessons, and there's even a dance studio! My third grader was in IEP at our former school, and he has demonstrated such improvement through the individual attention he receives here. The students are friendly and polite, and there is a lot of parent participation. The principal, Ms. Yerima, is kind and welcoming. She is always present, and dedicated to the students. I would definitely recommend this school, and I am so grateful to all of the staff here for making it such a great experience!

Posted November 13, 2012

I am a proud parent of Transfiguration School! I have 3 children attending and 1 on the waiting list for preschool. The principal is dedicated to the school and the staff. The teachers are excellent and dedicate their time after school for no extra cost to make sure the students get the help that they need. Spanish, Piano, and Dance is now a part of the school curriculum. All the field trips are educational and lost for large families like mine. When selecting a private school we understand that we have to do fundraisers. This helps the school pay the salaries of principal, teachers, and staff that makes way less money than they do. BUT they still care for my children just the same. THANK YOU TRANSFIGURATION FOR YOUR LOVE AND DEDICATION TO OUR CHILDREN OF TOMORROW!

Posted November 9, 2012

My grandchild is very excited about playing the piano! He is so driven to learn songs on his own to play for the family! The school allows you to borrow the keyboards for families who do not have pianos at home! I am very proud of him and he is very proud of himself!

Posted May 6, 2012

1948 to 1956 differant times and respect for all was better. John MacDonald I could walk to school from Hepburn

Posted September 16, 2011

I cannot believe how much this school has grown! The increase in students shows what a great job the teachers are doing. I am so happy with the education my children receive. I like that the school offers tutoring after school for students - at no extra charge. One of my children gets extra help from her teacher each week in tutoring. The other receives enrichment from her teacher. It is also wonderful because this happens on the same day. I like that this school has a family atmosphere. Both the teachers and the principal treat all of the students with equal respect .

Posted September 13, 2011

This school has come a long way from what it used to be. There is nepotism within the school with parents, and selective children. Within the first two weeks of school my child did not have all her books nor were there enough desks to accommodate all the children. I have seen teachers come and go every school year and no one seems to stay longer than two years on the average. The school is very much unorganized and has too many activities each month; it seemed every month I was buying something for a school activity or donating. My child spent most of the time making cards as an art project and my child expressed that when going on field trips there were three children bunched together on a two seated bus. Please evaluate other schools before you consider sending your child to this school. Their specialty skill is false presentation.

Posted July 20, 2011

Transfiguration Catholic School; demonstrates exceptional leadership ability in all academic areas. You always feel apart of a family, which is devoted to the well-being of all there students, staff, parish and community.

Posted July 19, 2011

Transfiguration is a wonderful school for my children's educational foundation. I am very pleased with the teachers and staff.

Posted July 19, 2011

My child has attended Transfiguration since pre-school and is now in the third grade. Their focus on education, family and the safety of our children is like none other. Our children are taught integrity and ethics that public schools are unable to provide. Students are taught to respect themselves, their elders and their peers. Teachers and students are carefully selected to ensure the quality of the environment is well above standards. I have looked into other schools and even summer programs and unable to find the comfort and trust in any other school or program that I have in Transfiguration.

Posted July 15, 2011

I am an alumna of this school, and I can honestly say that Transfiguration played a large role into developing me into the person that I am. What I enjoyed most about the school was the strong sense of community and family. After graduating, I maintained ties with the school and often volunteered. I can attest to the safe, supporting, welcoming environment and excellent education. I encourage all parents and guardians with young children who live in the Leimert, View Park, and Ladera Heights areas to seriously consider enrolling their children at Transfiguration if they would like for their children to obtain a sold foundation. Many alumni went on to some of Los Angeles' most selective high schools, including Loyola, Nortre Dame Academy, and Marymount. Of the alumni I've kept in touch with, one is attending the Keck School of Medicine at USC, another is pursuing a PhD in English Literature, and another just passed the California Bar Exam.

Posted April 14, 2011

I am parent my child is in pre-k this is an excellent school I love the way the teacher care for my child also the way he being though it is also a well balance school I give this school a 5 star transfiguration

Posted March 14, 2010

Transfiguration school has allow my sons and daughter to excell and get into highly competative High Schools.

Posted March 1, 2010

I am a grandmother of a student who attends this school. My son attended Transfiguration in 1995, it was rough. However, today under this awesome leadership and dedicated teachers Transfiguration Catholic Elementary is the perfect K-8 school. Ask any child on that campus, they love it there. Ask the parents who worked hard to get it to its current condition and vow to make it better,with a supportive parish community, alumni, PTO and outstanding staff. Ideally Catholic in spirituality, education, and family. Come check out the new Technology Learning Center and Library.

Posted December 29, 2009

Transfiguration has made many positive efforts towards improvement over the past few years. However, they have quite a ways to go in becoming a quality Catholic school. I definitely agree that there is a lot of nepotism at this school as well as a strong creole preference/influence. At the same time, the discipline policy is lacking. It is very upsetting to hear my child speak of her entire class being punished for extended periods of time as a result of the actions of a few students. In comparing Transfiguration to other Catholic schools, I would argue that it most resembles a typical public school with a uniform enforcement policy. Before sending your child to this school, I recommend visiting some of the other Catholic schools (a little to the west), and even some of the better public and charter schools.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. Evelyn Rickenbacker
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4020 Roxton Avenue