K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

St. Elizabeth School has the potential to be a GREAT school. The community of PARENTS are wonderful. However, the newly hired principal is AWFUL. He wants to base his philosophy on an old way of teaching, "Don't smile until Christmas". Please do look it up, and do your own research. Not all teachers are bad, but teachers in the upper grades 6th - 8th with the exception of Ms. Garcia, need to retired and find another job that has nothing to do with educating children. PLEASE! PLEASE GO AWAY and do not ever work with children. It is obvious to our family and many other families that they do not enjoy their job, therefore, they rather intimidate and bully kids under the umbrella of discipline and respect. Instead of using proper discipline procedures or effective classroom management techniques, some of the teachers in the upper grades use their power to condemn, manipulate and to ridicule students. As a principal, he has the power and position to set the tone in the classrooms, but he choses to focus on less important things such as; the uniform, or what color shoes or sweater the kids are wearing. I understand that enforcing school uniforms may be part of his approach to bring change, and to show parents that his actually doing something. However, it implies that he and the school are simply trying to find an easy fix for difficult and more complex problems such as the staff. The SCHOOL NEEDS NEW TEACHERS that are passionate about teaching, and also compassionate teachers. For the sake of our children, and this beautiful school, I do hope that the church leaders seriously look into these concerns. I'm hopeful! “The classroom should be an entrance into the world, not an escape from it.” ~ John Ciardi

We have a large age gap in between our children, so we have seen many changes at St. Elisabeth's. Though we were happy with our oldest son completing elementary school here with great friends and work habits (he is now graduating high school which he breezed though due to a solid foundation provided by St. Elisabeth's), in these hard economic times we searched all of the valley, entered lotteries for charter schools, etc. in search of a school for our younger kids. But after all that research we came back to St. Elisabeth's. Diversity is embraced at this school. I also feel the kids are safe. All the kids know each other and are friendly, nice kids. Van Nuys is not the most affluent of areas. The parents who send their kids here sacrifice to get them there and the caring for these kids are evident. The teachers also don't get the highest of salaries, but they clearly feel a calling to do what they do. Like all organizations, there are some things that could be better. But my kids are happy, safe and learning an advanced curriculum. Totally worth it!

I am a St. Elisabeth alumni and i want to say that this school is wonderful! I have attended this school for nine years, K-8, and it is absolutely a great environment. The teachers are caring, supportive, and understanding with students. It is a small campus but a wonderful thing that all the students know each other. I absolutely love all the amazing memories i made while being here and i am grateful for all the wonderful friends i have made and blessed that i still keep in touch with them even thou we went to different high schools. I have made the best of friends here that i love all so much! This school has outstanding academics and also teaches one about religious studies. I graduated here with the gold cord, part the decathlon team and i got accepted to all my high school choices, excellent academic program! I love my elementary school and i could not imagine to be sent somewhere else. If you are thinking in putting your child in a catholic private school, may St. Elisabeth School be one of your choices because this is a great school!

my child is currently in kinder. I am really disappointed in the school. I'm actually a formal alumni and decided that it would be a good school for my daughter. Unfortunately, that was not the case. The primary teachers seem to be working together which is a good sign that they care about the students. The problem lies on the office staff. They don't communicate well with the families. They don't inform you about the events with advance notice. Sometime my daughter misses out on events cause I don't find out about til that same day or the day before. I asked the school to fill out an magnet application for me and they gave me a hard time. I got interrogated why I was apply to a public school's magnet program. And did I really think that a public school can provide a better education for my daughter. When I go into the office there's hardly anyone there to help me out with any question. At one point I went in to change my home address and was handed a binder with all student's personal information and was told to find my card and change it myself. I don't like the idea that anyone can just open a binder and see my personal info. They need to be more professional.

My son goes here since Kinder its ok the office staff is horrible but the teachers are good. They need administration changes thats all

I love my school it is awesome! I know all the kids there, I am in student council, and I barely arrived here last year.

Great community, great education, with emphasis on 21st Century Skills in a faith based environment. Excellence is emphasized for mind, body and spirit.

Its very friendly family oriented, Great teachers that give our children the best education

because is a great school and have a very god teachers

They way they educate the children is great they teach them values, its one of the best catholic schools in the Valley

Last modified St. Elisabeth is a Private school that serves grades K-8