K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

As an alumnus of St. Bridget of Sweden (SBS), I believe I have an insight to SBS that most parents do not. I attended SBS from 1st-8th grade and I loved every year while I was there. One thing that is a fact is that SBS runs more like a family business than an institution. Personally, that is one of their greatest benefits for many reasons. I graduated in 2008 and since then, I have gone back every year to see all my teachers and catch up. SBS has an extremely low turnover rate; only two teachers are no longer at SBS that have been teaching there since my 1st grade. Another benefit of this family business mentality is that the teachers do not care about anything more than the well-being and success of their students. They are all accredited teachers and they truly have a passion for teaching. I will be the first to admit that their academic rigor may not compare to other schools in the area but I always felt challenged during my time there. If parents are reading these reviews to base their decision to send your child to a school based off of academic rigor, I would advise you that SBS was rigorous enough for me to obtain a foundation to do well in all of my schooling. After SBS, I moved on to attend Alemany HS and I graduated with honors and then was admitted to the University of San Francisco and I graduated with honors in 4 years. I assure you SBS’s academics are well and one thing that you will get from SBS that you will not get from any other school is a second family for a life time. To this day, the greatest friends that I have are some of my classmates from SBS. SBS not only teaches you the academics that a school is supposed to teach or the religion that a Catholic school is supposed to teach but they also teach and set an example of the fundamentals that will allow you to succeed in life during and after schooling. They taught me how to always be focused in what mattered during that specific stage of my life. They taught me the value of dedication and how what you do not only reflects in your own life but also reflects in the lives around you. I can assure you that you will never find a principal more involved and dedicated in a school than SBS’s principal. The principal and teachers set a wonderful example and show the compassion and love that young children and adolescents should be exposed to.

Dysfunctional! This is the best way I can describe the school. Save your money and look into a good public or charter school. There is a horrible bullying problem. My daughter was constantly harassed and teased by the meanest kids in the class. When we brought this to the attention of school administrators and teachers they made it sound like my daughter brought the bullying or they would feign ignorance. It got so bad that my daughter was jumped at one point by kids and the principal did nothing. I pulled my kid out in mid year because the school could not stop the constant harassment. The principal is a complete buffoon! However, what do I expect when the principal doubles as the janitor. In addition, the teachers are mean and in need of training. They are not unified in what they teach or even willing to use new pedagogical ideas. Did I say they were mean? The teachers are mean and they play favorites and its usually the kids who are either high achievers or from the families that are willing to donate a lot of money to the church or the school. I will regret to the grave ever putting my kids in that so called school.

My child have attended this school for the past 4 years. They have constantly low numbers in the classes, so students benefit from lots of teacher attention. Also they split up the kids according to ability levels for math and reading. So kids are always being challenged or getting the added help they need. A hidden gem in the valley!

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Many of the teacher have been at this school for many years and are committed to the values and standards they teach.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school has a daily prayer that all children are encouraged to live up to. " We are a family, we work together, play together, pray together, we take care of each other..."

Develops character: Strongly agree

We are blessed to ba a part of this school family. The faculty and staff are wonderfuly dedicated teachers who take the time needed with each student to ensure that they recieve the best education possible.

Ever since ive been in this school ive been miserable. THE BULLYING NEEDS TO STOP. The faculty allows foul play, and all forms of bullying to commence during school hours alone. Please take into account that ive been with this school since kindergarten, which is a mere 8 years of dedication, donations, generosity, and so much more and for that devotion of my family's time, i get nothing but a little brush whenever i try to confront the faculty about serious matters. This includes student rights, educational matters, and matters based upon the fact that bullying in any form is just sinful and should be prohibeted, especially if such matters are performed in front of an adults eyes. You might tell by the way im writing this review that the school has a generally good educational base. But the fact of the matter is that most of the education that we are taught is literally taught through arts and crafts and not as much books and notes. Serious improvements need to be made at this school!

Most of the teacher's appear dedicated and the turn over rate is low. Kids receive the basic reading, writing and math. School is also very safe. On the negative side however, the school needs a major revamping as it looks run down and there is no full or part time janitor to keep the school clean. Not sure what is going on with the school budget or where the money goes. Additionally, school needs a new principal with more energy and fresh ideas. I am certain the school can tap into the archdiocese for help with projects that could improve the school so not sure why administration has not looked into this. Lastly, the school needs to keep up with technology by providing kids with tablets for homework/reading and also by keeping website current. Oh and parents and students being able to log in to check progress/assignments.

What a fantastic place for children to grow and learn. St. Bridget of Sweden is a small school where everyone feels like family. The students, faculty and staff are all friendly and respectful. They pride themselves in being a place where kids are encouraged to reach a little bit further all the time. The principal is a true gift to the school. He has been there for dozens of years and is always looking out for all of the kids, faculty and parents. There are many, many former students who make it a point to bring their children to this school so they can have the same high quality education that they had. We are so blessed that we have our children at SBS!

Awful school. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I was beaten and bullied. I was too scared to tell anyone what happened and my mother saw bruises on me and immediately went to the school -- my teacher told my mother I had been crying every day in class and didn't even think to call my mother and tell her what had been going on, The principle couldn't care less. I would NEVER EVER send a child here. It is truly a god-less place with awful people running the school. Do NOT send your child here. Mean kids and mean teachers.

Last modified St. Bridget of Sweden Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8