No rating

Our Lady Of Peace Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 184 students

We are best known for faith, academics, and service.

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $294,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,280.

Posted July 31, 2014

I dont like this school but im graduating this upcoming year so i cant really back out . This upcoming school year will probably be a huge struggle : new teacher , same principal and no updates on books or designing in classrooms .

Posted June 27, 2014

I read the review submitted by a kinder grandmother and, having a child in that class, I felt I needed to add mine as well. The teacher has been kind all year and I've heard of no issues with other parents or families in the class. I can imagine which grandmother made the post, and she should not guide you as to whether or not you should enroll your child at Our Lady of Peace. My daughter would tell me of the constant tantrums this child would throw and how she would run out of class. Luckily the teacher had an aide that could go after her. I'm sure that's why the student was discouraged from going on class trips. I would NOT want my child or other students being left while the teachers are chasing after a misbehaving student. It's a liability for all, so the child's family should be more understanding. And being in daycare is NOT the same as being in school. Daycare is babysitting, for students to roam around freely and play, while school is structured with rules and procedures so students can learn. I've had a good experience so far and plan to keep my child here for the upcoming year. There are many activities all year for families to be involved.

Posted June 13, 2014

I graduated from Our Lady of Peace school a few years ago and since then I have watched the school slowly fall apart. The teachers are still great and the office staff is always very friendly and as helpful as they can be. However, the school itself has gone from being a wholesome family environment to a hostile one. Our Lady of Peace is now full of bullying - I know this because I have a family member who attends the school and is constantly being picked on. However, despite every attempt to get the principal to do something, she STILL refuses to do anything about it. She cares more about money than she does about her students or faculty. I have watched the way she talks to people and I am appalled by her rudeness. As a principal, her first priority should be to protect her students - even if that is from each other - and not brush off any little thing that comes her way. Yet that's exactly what she does. Nothing gets handled and there is no punishment for anything. So the bullying just gets worse. Honestly, at the rate it's going, I wouldn't dare send my kids there. I'm sorry to say but this school is a short jump away from completely falling apart.

Posted June 13, 2014

I am proud to work at this school. Many of our teachers have clear teaching credentials and masters. We work hard to teach all subjects and the catholic faith to our students. We are not perfect, as every school has its strengths and weaknesses, but I feel our students receive a good education from teachers who are passionate about teaching. For us, teaching is not just a job, it's a vocation!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 9, 2014

Our Lady Of Peace School, in North Hills CA is a horrible school. I enrolled my granddaughter and paid in advance for 1yr. When entering this school my granddaughter was familiar with school and school settings, she has been in daycare and schools since the age of 1. All of a sudden she was no longer wanting to go, we soon found out the teachers are less than qualified and refuse to show any proof of education. When the teacher began discriminating we looked for answers and got none. They refuse to let her go on field trips, and refused to let me volunteer. I was only able to get her on the field trip by taking it up with the principal, they had no valid reason to leave her out. The teacher constantly discriminated against her regarding field trips, even making her sit at a table alone while all other children were grouped during class. She did everything to break our vulnerable 5yr old. To the point that she no longer wants to go to school. I lost $4,000 worth of 'education' and am left with traumatic experiences.They are money grubbing unqualified and unethical.

Posted March 5, 2014

Worst school ever!!!! A lot of bully, from same teachers and students!! Public school works best in all areas, I change my kids from then to public school seems to have more warm and learning environment that this catholic school! What a shame.... I like the OLP church but no the School......a lot of hate and bully!!!! Do your kids a favor and Keep them away from this negative environment!!

Posted April 3, 2012

This is a very good school. Small class size and low tuition. High academic standards with a lot of extra curricular activities. You can feel the teachers and principal are very involved, friendly and they genuinely cares about you. My child became happier after we transferred here. People treat you with respect.

Posted March 30, 2012

My children's education is my first priority and although I do have to pay for them to attend this school I feel as though they will be far better off when it comes time for them to be an adult on their own vs the public education they would receive if they were not attending this school. Your child does not have to be Catholic to attend. Children can attend this school from Preschool through 8th grade. There is one class per grade allowing the students to build long lasting friendships. There is Art, Music and Foreign language classes - for all students down to the Kindergarten level. There are sports programs such as football and basketball. And other after school programs such as karate or dance. There is daycare provided after school for a very low monthly rate - and also morning care for students whose parents need to drop students off early. There is a preschool program for 3 and 4 year olds with very low tuition rates. There are tutoring programs to help children with their understanding of the different subjects and classwork. I would highly recommend OLP to any Parent looking for better education.

Posted September 2, 2009

What an amazing school Our Lady of Peace is! I have never been so impressed with a school in my life! The teachers are amazing and higly qualified, the office staff is warm and helpful, and the administration is very supportive. I hope more people find out about Our Lady of Peace!

Posted June 16, 2008

I am a recent graduate of Our Lady of Peace. I was a student of Our Lady of Peace for nine incredible years since kindergarten and I can tell you that this school has great teachers and staff, many extra curricular activities, lots of involvement with both parents and students, a very strong security system and so many people who are just wonderfully dedicated to this school. The teachers here work hard to make sure each student gets the best education possible. O.L.P. isn't just a school to me; it's more like a giant family! Everyone here knows each other and we all treat each other as family. It was hard to imagine leaving this school. In fact, it still hasn't kicked in that I've graduated. O.L.P. and all of its students, staff and faculty members have had a huge impact on my life.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 10, 2008

All of my four children went to this school and still are. It is and always has been an excellent school. It's quality deteriorated slightly from the previous administration but now it has bounced back to the quality it had before. Thanks to the new administration. It also gets full support from the new parish priest who within one year has invested so much to this school.

Posted October 4, 2006

my child has been there since pre-k and is graduating next year i think its very good yet strict.

Posted April 30, 2006

I transferred my 7th and 5th grader to this school. So far I am very happy with the teachers and administration. It is a very close nit environment. Although my kids miss their old school, they seem to fit in easily with the other children who are friendly. The teachers have alot of experience. My daughter especially is always excited about a classroom project held every friday called 'city' where they simulate real life experiences (they have their own bussiness or work for someone, they pay taxes, get copyrights etc) it helps with their math and social studies. There is a strong parent involvement.

Posted September 10, 2005

My child spent her first 4 years with Our Lady of Peace Elementary School. As the years go by, the teaching quality has deteriorated. The school has more actively working in fund raising rather than improving their educational practices.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Academic Junior High Decathlon (2009)
  • Academic Junior High Decathlon (2008)
  • Academic Junior High Decathlon (2007)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 7:50
School end time
  • 2:45
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (818) 894-6759

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • German
  • Spanish
Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

• Dance

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Parents volunteer minimum of 30 hours per year in the classroom and at various fundraiser events.