No rating

St. Catherine Of Siena School

Private | K-8 | 206 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $269,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,430.

Posted August 20, 2014

The fact that you can send your kid to a private, Catholic school without breaking the bank is already a plus. They base tuition on family income. You will however have to do more fundraising and volunteer hours. This school emphasizes on character building and instilling important life values on kids. They have a buddy system too, so you don't have to worry about bullying by older students. Academic-wise they are at par with good schools in the Los Angeles area.

Posted February 11, 2014

This is my second year in this school and I am very happy. The parents are great and really willing to do extra to support the school. We came from a public pre-school where the expectations were really low for my son. My son's k nder teacher has really inspired him to read everyday. Now he is in first grade and Reading at second grade level. The Principal and teachers really care about the students and are easily aprochable.

Posted December 5, 2013

Love the passion of all the staff Sis. Shelia is the reason we started here great school. Everyone has been real responsive on questions, concerns or even on my thoughts on how to make our school better. I love the fact that we have all these wonderful kids and parents

Posted September 30, 2013

School has gone downhill! Pulled kids from school due to lack of discipline and any leadership from the principle. I took my money elsewhere. Beware of transfer students!!

Posted September 25, 2013

Love the school great passion and love from all the staff Mario and Mildred Bonilla are excelent. Sis. Shila is a saint. Parents are real nice They have a great thing going for them

Posted June 7, 2013

I absouletly love the preschool. The teachers provide an amazing education and truly care about the students. The parents are highly involve and my son is very happy here. I am looking forward to an excellent Kinder year and I have heard that Mrs. Ruiz is an A+ teacher.

Posted May 27, 2013

Not that great. The school's principal does not act quickly. The teachers are okay. The students are horrible. They don't learn respect and use foul lanuage around youngsters. I've even heard a third grader say something disrespectful.

Posted September 20, 2012

well our last principal was great but he only stayed for 1 year. now we have Sister Shila running the school. untill they find another principal they said (that was almost 3 years ago!!) Now we don't have staff in the office, only parents trying to do the best they can. It seems to me that we have money problems but nobody will admit to it...Heck! we don't even have genators!! that's how bad things are.Please don't take me wrong we have some good teachers and the parents volunteer ALOT! and we all want what's best for our kids but at this point, I think is time for Saint Catherine to have a really big change, with higher tuitions so we get the money that we need or close it's doors for good. Next year I'm changing our kids to another school.

Posted December 7, 2010

We are so happy to have our child at this wonderful school. Small class sizes ,supportive teachers, and a responsive administration...what more could we ask for? This is school is a gem!

Posted November 28, 2010

Well, here we go again. Sorry to say a change in principals.I don't know the reason why--the real truth never comes out. We had tremendous change for the good with Mr. Kruska--I know the kids and parents will miss him very much. The kids can relate to him. We will see what happens next but it better be for the best or I am out of there.

Posted March 18, 2010

This school has come a very long way! My child has attended this school since kindergarten and has made excellent progress. Throughout the years, I have witnessed administration issues here as all schools unfortunately go through, but all in all, the faculty and staff have always been highly dedicated! All I can say is that even as a parent who is a public school teacher, I will continue to make the sacrifice to pay for the education and positive, small school environment my child gets at SCSS that I can not get at a public school! Thank you SCSS family!!

Posted February 19, 2010

We have come a long way. The school looks much prettier, the parish and school are working together to improve the school, there are more extra-curricular activities, and the new principal has brought a new energy and enthusiasm that the school needed. We are very happy here, and my children love their school. The teachers are awesome and very dedicated. They are always willing to work with the parents to provide the best education for your child. The Christmas play was beautiful and it is nice to see the parish members just as involved as the parents. Our new priest is also wonderful and very supportive. Mr. Kruska and Father Paul (new priest) have made very positive changes to our school and parish. There is truly a sense of community and the excitement is felt from the classroom, to the masses. Your hard work is noticed and appreciated. We love SCSS!

Posted December 17, 2009

St. Catherine of Siena rocks! As a parent of a student who attends this school, I'am constantly being amazed by the staff as a whole . They all work so hard for our children, it has inspired to be more involed. This school has a very family friendly enivorment, they make you feel like your at home.

Posted December 10, 2009

i think this school has taken a turn for the worst since my son has been attending there, four the past four years they have have three principals and with every change of the faculty including the teacher changes it seems to get worse off....i am actually looking for a knew school for my son to attend at the moment....

Posted October 26, 2009

After years of watching the school student population decline, its wonderful to see the school full of students. Kids look forward to attending school! Mr. Kruska has brought a new spirit back to the school, one that has been lacking for the past few years. Great Job to all of the faculty!

Posted October 5, 2009

St. Catherine's has gone through a tremendous change, for the good. The new principal, Mr. CJ Kruska has come in with new ideas and with some new staff. The focus is on the academic basics, while ensuring the the religious education is foundation for this catholic school. New programs have been introduce regarding extra curricula activites, such as chess champions, dance,music and more. It's an exciting time to be at St. Catherine Parish School.

Posted June 1, 2009

The school is making a positive turn around. Academics have improved, Ms. Fox is working hard to turn the school over to our new principal which seems to have the right attitude that our school needs. Teachers continue to work hard in giving students individualized instruction. Office staff very polite and helpful. With more parent involvement our school can continue to rise.

Posted February 4, 2009

As products of a Catholic school education, my husband and I were looking forward to providing the same level of excellence we received from 1st grade on- it's not looking we're going to find it at St. Catherine's. We could agree with many of the reveiws below- good and bad- but our main critique is that the school lacks fundamental direction... and that must come from the top. Also- and this will probably offend some people- in the lower grades, there are far too many kids with marginal and/or developing English language skills... that has to affect the curriculum in some way- if some kids are struggling to understand the English language, it only makes sense that the pace of the learning for all the kids would be effected by that. Overall, the teachers are very kind, however, principal Fox could use some serious coaching on her people skills.

Posted January 26, 2009

This school has really taken a turn for the worse. I went to this school from K-8 and this school has changed, not in a good way. The principal before Ms. Fox was the heart of the school, and without her I do not think this school has the same feel. Most of the kids i know that still go there feel the same. Academics are not at such a high standard, in fact, when compared to other schools the quality isn't as high as it seems. Yes, they still build student character, but Ms. Fox isn't Mrs. Glenn(the principal before Ms. Fox). Parents are starting to participate less and less, and I do not see this school being open in five years at the rate it is going. I hate to say this, but do not send your school to St. Catherines

Posted August 28, 2008

This is an amazing school. Teachers give each student individual attention, and the principal Ms. Fox is professional and works well with the parents. After transfering my child from a public school, he has exceled at St.Catherine of Siena School. As a parent, I would strongly reccomend that you send your child to this extraordinary school.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Sr. Sheila McNiff
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

18125 Sherman Way