Posted April 12, 2013
Amazing school!! We went to just about every good private, magnet, and charter school we could for Kinder. The school had a very thorough entrance exam, so we were nervous, but he was accepted and we could not be happier. I can say that this is one of the very best schools, public or private, in Los Angeles. The Principal and staff seem to love what they do, and they run a very tight ship. Teachers are dedicated, creative, and overall outstanding. Parent involvement is excellent. It is definitely a rigorous academic environment, which worried me at first, but we see the school's high standards paying off. Our son loves going to school as well as his teachers and is learning like crazy. I could not recommend this school more hightly. Submitted by a parent

Posted April 09, 2013
Compare to other Catholic Schools in SFV this school is superb . Positives: parents are very involved ( voluntary only ) with very organized PTO and alumni , teachers are fair, are subject matter experts, Principal is extremely involve ( real campus presence) , forward thinker and energetic , students have very few cliques because of 2 class & they get to be mixed up yearly, advance technology ( iPads) , usual fundraising & family obligations are way more sensible to current economic times . Security is also good. Negative: Huge class size ( though must be a good sign cos @ this time when other Catholic schools are struggling, this school is pretty full ), difficult parking on pick-up/drop off esp. for working parents , less diversity (though all are respectful of each other), after school activities are pricey ( though impress there are avail. programs compare to other schools). Overall, my kids are happy, thriving, challenged and are being raise as Catholics , as of us working parents , we are getting back what we paid for and more .

Posted March 14, 2013
I rate the teacher quality low only so that attention is brought to the areas of math and science at this school. When 2/3 of a 7th grade math class require outside tutoring, then something is wrong with the instruction. The science dept also needs attention - there is crossover here, so similar issues apply. Unfortunately, at small private schools, it's hard to find the most dynamic teachers for every subject at each grade level.

Posted October 12, 2012
My child went to St. Mel for 2years and in those 2years she excell in academics but had problems socially, there's a lot of clicks and even though they say they are againts bullying, you will find a lot of them in this school.I was amased also but how there's teachers that favor kids because their parents do a lot of hours at the school, some parents are not very friendly either so unless yo have money and you and your kid have the same look as everyone that goes there you will be fine.

Posted June 25, 2012
My son graduated from St Mel in 2010. He received a superb and well rounded education. When he started high school he, like most St. 'Melians" (as we call them in our family) blew the curve. He was completely prepared in every way. He has developed a love of all subjects especially reading, history, science and technology. He loves going back to see his former teachers. I have known them all and they are exceptional. We are truly blessed to have such great educators and the close family community. My son has a great future ahead of him because of this school. But a big shout out to Mrs. Genders, Dr. Vrdoljk, Mrs. Lutz, Mrs. Gorman, Mrs. Grombacher, Mr. Lapore and Mr. Lavin who is, according to my son, the worlds most fun music teacher.

Posted January 16, 2012
I absolutely love my school! Going to St. Mel is the by far, the best choice I have ever made in my entire life! I went to the preschool, and all the way from kindergarden through 8th grade. Now that I'm in 8th Grade, I am very sad to leave it. So many fond memories.... I love St. Mel for numerous reasons: -the teachers -the students -extra-cirricular activities (drama, volleyball, basketball, soccer, football, music theatre, golf, student council, academic decathlon, and much MUCH more) -the parents of the students -sense of community -the staff (principal, vice principal, office staff) -technology (We have a computer lab and iPad 2's for each individual student) -Of course we have science, social studies, english, math, etc. - but we also have religion, music, art, and Spanish I and Spanish II -the enthusiasm for learning -we go to mass once a week during school and learn all about our faith -they have certain programs for struggling or advanced children St. Mel is awesome, and if there is any school you want to send you child to - it is this one! :) (Note: This is by an actual current 8th grade student at St. Mel)

Posted August 24, 2011
I have never seen a school's teachers so dedicated to the students as St. Mel's School of Woodland Hills, California. Also, the school is technologically advanced and innovated, using IPads for all students starting with the 2011 school year, and allowing instantaneous access to student grades by parents through EdLine. The school as excellent teachers, strong leadership by the principal, Mary Beth Lutz, and challenging academic programs. It also has a strong Catholic identity, providing for a strong foundation in Catholic theology.

Posted August 04, 2010
I went to school at St. Mel and my 2 daughters have gone there too. The school has Smart Boards in every classroom, (you wont find that in any other school in the valley) The teachers and staff are dedicated, but the MOST Important thing is that the school reinforces VALUES!!! Here is a very simple test. Walk on the St. Mel campus and any public school campus and you can HEAR the difference!! The language used by the children on the playground is like NIGHT & DAY.

Posted April 14, 2010

Posted February 12, 2010
St. Mel Elementary is the school of choice. As a father, this school is the best for my daughters...It is enriched in extra curricular activities, such as theatre, music, art and sports...keeping them focused on what is important...you cannot afford a better school for your money...the academics are great. Teachers are wonderful.

St. Mel Elementary School
20874 Ventura Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  91364
(818) 340-1924
Last modified St. Mel Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St. Mel Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top