No rating

St. Bernard Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 195 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $339,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted November 8, 2013

St. Bernard Catholic School is one of the best school located in the North-East Los Angeles. All of the staff are awesome especially the principal who is always working to improve the school academically. As parents of 2 young kids currently attending St Bernard Catholic School, we know that this is a great foundation for them. This school is so good that some parents attended the same school back when they were in grade school. Parents actively gets involve with school activities and fund raising for their kids. Good school with good catholic faith!

Posted May 3, 2012

Update: There is a new staff, there aren't any combined classes, there are numerous extracurriculars (academically and athletically), and a great majority of the students move on to Catholic High Schools such as Immaculate Heart, Loyola, Villanova Preparatory, La Salle, Cathedral, Sacred Heart, Providence, and Holy Family. This school is truly amazing and I love it so much :)

Posted January 29, 2012

I am a proud teacher at Saint Bernard Catholic School and feel honored to serve the Glassell Park Community. As a member of the staff I can say that St. Bernard's is a great environment to teach in and I am privileged to work for a fantastic principle who puts the students' needs first and has worked hard to make the school great! She has worked to get technology into the classrooms, implemented a new math program, worked to receive new programs to improve literacy, and is constantly looking for the best options available. Our staff is wonderful and we are constantly learning to provide our students with the best education possible. We work well together and that affects student learning for the positive. We have wonderful programs that help mold our students to be empowered, active, and faithful. In addition to wonderful students we have been blessed with fantastic parents who understand the importance of a quality Catholic education and the need for their support. The parents and community are always willing and able to help when and where they are needed. I am truly blessed to be apart of all the great things that are happening at St. Bernard Catholic School.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 16, 2011

I am currently attending SBS and about to graduate. I havr experienced both sides of the previous staff and the newest staff. Since it's the time of the new staff, I must say SBS has improved very well. Our teachers are humurous, fun, strict, and determined. The same for the students and entire faculty/staff. We have decathlon, speech, leadership, computer rooms, PE, music(taught by a member of a band, and Shakespeare(aslo taught by the music teacher!) and an art class. We have annual Science fairs, the 6-8 Religion teacher attented WYD for an excellent guidance video and many of the students have won awards nationwide, including writing comps. In LA, Conference to DC offers, and much more. We are taught to be empowered students, active individuals, and faithful disciples. I strongly recommend for you to have your child attend this amazing school. I will never forget the values and teachings I've been taught! GO TROJANS!!!!

Posted January 25, 2011

I have two children at the school and we've been there for at least 7 years. The school has a new principal. She is like a tornado. I've never seen a principal work so hard. On her own, she has actively brought in private funding to help the school. Also because she has both public and private school experience she knows exactly where to find money and what programs we can benefit from. The result: she has put the school on a strong financial footing, she has hired new passionate teachers; implemented lots of new program such as art and music, storytelling, and even Shakespeare. She also found money for laptops for all the teachers and smart boards for all the classrooms. And the teachers find ways to integrate technology with the classroom studies. We also have a new computer lab, academic decathlons, speech tournaments, and sports. We also have a strong parent organization. Overall, I am very happy with St. Bernard.

Posted March 20, 2009

This school has some excellent teachers and provideds a lot of good religious education along with it's academic curriculum. It is small, and will have a combined K/1 class, which gives kids a lot of individual attention, but also means that there are not a lot of extras. There is no computer lab, no physical education program, and any extras (like hot lunches) are parent provided, not school provided. The good academics combined with less than average extras makes this school average at best.

Posted March 19, 2009

This school provides a great, family feel, and lots of attention. It is lacking in some curriculum areas, with no P.E., no active computer lab, and no educational aides in any classes. Parents need to put in a lot of work, but kids do learn a lot in the school.

Posted March 11, 2009

Wonderful School! Each students are given lots of individual attention. I know many who graduated from St. Bernard & they've had nothing but pleasant things to say about their expierences at St. Bernard. The office staff & teachers are great. The kids K-8 treat one another like family.

Posted March 9, 2009

This school is going through a lot of changes. St. Bernards is run by the parents so many extra programs depend on the volunteers and some programs like computers and tutoring have been cut. The academics are good for but as far as innovative teaching or new ideas this school is lacking. Average at best.

Posted March 3, 2009

St. Bernard has a amazing faculty. The teachers have been dedicated & wonderful in providing a excellent education. It has a family feel to it. My nieces & nephews credit their college & carrer success to St. Bernard School. I highly recommend this school!!!

Posted February 27, 2009

I'm a graduate from this school and I feel as though I got the best of the years I went there. I learn plenty not only from my teachers but from my peers as well. I always felt at home and bonded with my classmates as if we were family. I will never forget the things I learned there. <3

Posted February 25, 2009

St. Bernard is an excellent school, my son is in 8th grade and i'm proud to say that because of the school he has become a better person and has improve in many ways not just academically, he is well behaved and well disciplined. I highly recommend st. Bernard school and for sure will send my 5 yr.Old daugther in that school.

Posted February 24, 2009

St. Bernard is an excellent school. The teachers are great they all care about all the students. This school is great in academics.

Posted February 29, 2008

St. bernard school is an advantage for life! to the staff of st. bernard school i would like to thank all of you for being such great teachers and teaching my kids the right things. I will always remember what the 8th grade teacher said 'The journey matters. Not the destination. You made my children the best they can be. thank you so much.

Posted February 28, 2008

A wonderful school with great students and caring teachers.St.Bernards is a school I will neverr forget. As the 8th grade teacher always says 'its not the destination that matters.Its the Journey'
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 14, 2004

St. Bernard's Elementary is a shining example of quality education in the middle of a low-income area in California where both public education spending and test scores are low. My experience at St. Bernard's was extremely positive. The principal is a credit to her profession.
—Submitted by a former student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. Margaret Samaniego
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3254 Verdugo Road