Los Angeles, CA

Posted December 14, 2014
My son's AP US History teacher was fired on Friday even though the class has an extremely important final exam on Monday. The students have no idea who will be grading this test. The confusion has created enormous uproar on social media among parents and students. In the last few years, many of our most dedicated, outstanding, popular teachers have abruptly left on extremely short notice. Many other faculty who have been at the school for over a decade have been mysteriously demoted. It appears that the new administration has created a hostile work environment for their senior faculty members, perhaps because it's cheaper to hire new teachers, and pressure the older ones into resigning. My son is depressed and angry. Many students have respectfully confronted the administration but felt they were met with insincerity. Despite having attended Buckley for most of his education, my son has no faith in the adults who are in charge.

Posted October 28, 2014
My child is in the 9th grade at Buckley, after transferring from a public school. The admissions process is challenging but the school seems focused on finding well rounded kids. My child has been challenged academically in the first few months. In spite of that, he loves Buckley. He was warmly welcomed by students, faculty and administration and socially has never been happier in school. I don't understand the comments about money as we are not wealthy, but he has felt no pressure that way. Great school, amazing facilities, small class sizes and truly caring faculty. We looked at the usual challenging private secondary schools and found the other ones lacking in various ways. So happy to be a Buckley.

Posted July 06, 2014
Buckley is an excellent school. Lucky to have such a stellar and well-rounded education for our son, Max. The teachers and administration are phenomenal. Parents are very involved and down-to-earth/hard-working people.

Posted March 14, 2014
My son is in 1st grade and loves it. The community has been nothing but warm and welcoming. We're so glad we choose this school!

Posted February 24, 2014
Buckley is promoted as a school that provides higher education and an accepting a close-knit community. The education is truly challenging and rigorous in the best way possible. As for the social environment at Buckley, it's the complete opposite. Most students are very money centered and will judge you if you're not up to date with the latest fashion, technology, etc. Students are very snotty when it comes down to where you live,what car you drive,what technology you own,and it's a very difficult situation for the few kids who receive on financial aid. Even teachers assume everybody comes from wealth. One of the teachers i had made fun of where i live(they did not know i lived there, again because they assumed nobody who can "afford" Buckley would live in that location). The diversity at Buckley is WEAK it's mostly white people and if you're not, then you're singled out. I would not recommend Buckley, the social separation based on ethnicity, socio economic status, and overall-appearance ruins this school of what otherwise could have been an amazing learning environment.

Posted October 03, 2013
This school is better equipped to teach children in a modern world than anything I have ever seen. Stunning facility, makes me jealous I wasn t given such a range of tools and environment to really stimulate my interest. My daughter loves it, even though she has to work very hard.

Posted September 04, 2013
This is one of the best schools in Los Angeles. The negative comments must have been written by helicopter parents.

Posted August 07, 2013
My child will be starting middle school at Buckley in a few weeks and can't wait. Frankly, I am just as excited. Everyone on the staff has been so friendly and helpful, it would be impossible to call them all out by name in the remaining space. The admissions staff is TOP NOTCH! And the Principal of the Middle School couldn't be nicer. We will be meeting other families in our grade soon, because one very lovely parent has invited all the new kids to come 'hang-out' with the returning students. And I heard from another mom, I know through soccer that we are entering a grade full of wonderful families and a really terrific unified grade group. What a wonderful welcome to a new school and a great way to start the year!

Posted June 26, 2013
Buckley used to be a great school, but something has gone very wrong. The faculty and administration think the school exists for them and not for the students. If you have a concern or a complaint regarding a teacher, you dare not voice it, because if you do, the teachers circle the wagons, and suddenly you'll find that your child has "problems." The lower school is especially horrible. They don't honor individuality, and if your child doesn't conform, you're going to get a call. I received a call from one of the pe coaches to tell me that my kindergarten child had taken too long at the water fountain! Then there was the day that I was told there was something wrong with my kid because she got out of line to chase a butterfly! They actually rated my kid's ability to dribble a basketball and graded her on her pitch in music class... in kindergarten! The dance teacher mocked my daughter for spinning in circles during dance class (again in kindergarten). My kid is now an honor student in 10th grade at one of the best high schools in West LA. Run from this place! And the parents are the stuff satire is made of. It's all about show.

Posted May 26, 2013
College was a walk in the park for my daughter after her 14 years at Buckley . She attended beginners and pre k all the way through 12 th. Loving and caring teachers she still keeps in touch with and visits when she's in town from college.

Buckley School, The