Los Angeles, CA

Buckley School, The 4

Posted April 15, 2015
My child is a 9th grader and new to the school. We chose Buckley over the other five schools our child was accepted to. It was a tough first semester academically and socially but this semester has been better. There has been some issues that we have come across but so far the administrators have been supported. Yes the school is going through a transition and NO school is perfect. It's a matter of communicating and being open to changes. There needs to be more diversity though, THAT is something that needs to improve. Overall, we are happy to have chosen Buckley.

Posted January 23, 2015
I couldn't be happier. My child gets upset if for any reason he misses school. When I pick him up and ask how his day was, every single day he replies "awesome" His teachers have a passion for teaching. We love all the positive and forward thinking changes that have been made. Here for the long run!

Posted January 15, 2015
In the last 5 years the innovative, brilliant and engaging teachers have been driven out or fired. One of child's favorite teacher taught Biology. She was a expert in her field who also wrote a text book for the students. My child wanted to pursue Biology because of this wonderful, extraordinary teacher. The following year she was gone. No explanation. In December 2013, two wonderful teachers have been fired. The English teacher was innovative, passionate about books and writing, knew how to engage the students and had high expectations. The History teacher was a dynamic teacher who challenges the students to learn. Both teachers were inspiring to my child. Buckley has built new facilities that are innovative and beautiful but as a parent I would prefer great teachers. I do not understand why the school prefers new and beautiful facilities and promotes mediocrity for the students.

Posted January 13, 2015
To be honest, I would give this school 0 stars. Despite the outstanding education it offers, Buckley is currently undergoing a serious moral decline. As a lifer, I have seen the school evolve for over 10 years and am very unimpressed with the direction it continues to move in. Recently, two outstanding teachers were fired for reasons unknown, as the administration must respect their privacy, which we must understand. However, for the majority of the student population, these teachers were not only significant members of our community, but also our friends. How can we call ourselves a community when our own administration keeps all of us, the student body, parents, and faculty, without any knowledge of major changes or adjustments in the school. Buckley's encouragement for students to speak up and dare to be true are nothing but complete lies, as students simply seeking to understand the school's intentions have been blown off and treated disrespectful by the administration. Unfortunately, I am in 10th grade and have no other option but to stay in the school for the rest of my high school career, but I speak for many when I say that Buckley is not a community you want to be part of.

Posted January 05, 2015
This school's administration only cares about their image. Having fired the two most influential teachers just a few weeks ago (during finals might I add) that have been at this school for about 16 years, one of which being the best teacher I have ever had in my entire life (and i say this with utmost confidence), our trust in the administration and their decisions has fully depleted. Everything is centered around money. Yes the clientele itself has an outrageous collective net-worth, but that has virtually nothing to do with what I am referring to. Million and billion dollar loans from the state to replace old buildings with new, unnecessary, buildings. Not to mention the incessant begging for donations they truly don't need. Firing two of the best teachers to have ever graced the Buckley campus because teachers who have been there for over a certain time are more expensive... so who cares if they leave lasting impacts on students and help them with the college process, and growth in general, money is the only valuable item on the Buckley table. As a student ambassador, it has become extremely difficult for me to tour prospective families and encourage them to attend Buckley.

Posted December 14, 2014
My son's AP US History teacher was fired on Friday even though the class has an extremely important final exam on Monday. The students have no idea who will be grading this test. The confusion has created enormous uproar on social media among parents and students. In the last few years, many of our most dedicated, outstanding, popular teachers have abruptly left on extremely short notice. Many other faculty who have been at the school for over a decade have been mysteriously demoted. It appears that the new administration has created a hostile work environment for their senior faculty members, perhaps because it's cheaper to hire new teachers, and pressure the older ones into resigning. My son is depressed and angry. Many students have respectfully confronted the administration but felt they were met with insincerity. Despite having attended Buckley for most of his education, my son has no faith in the adults who are in charge.

Posted October 28, 2014
My child is in the 9th grade at Buckley, after transferring from a public school. The admissions process is challenging but the school seems focused on finding well rounded kids. My child has been challenged academically in the first few months. In spite of that, he loves Buckley. He was warmly welcomed by students, faculty and administration and socially has never been happier in school. I don't understand the comments about money as we are not wealthy, but he has felt no pressure that way. Great school, amazing facilities, small class sizes and truly caring faculty. We looked at the usual challenging private secondary schools and found the other ones lacking in various ways. So happy to be a Buckley.

Posted July 06, 2014
Buckley is an excellent school. Lucky to have such a stellar and well-rounded education for our son, Max. The teachers and administration are phenomenal. Parents are very involved and down-to-earth/hard-working people.

Posted March 14, 2014
My son is in 1st grade and loves it. The community has been nothing but warm and welcoming. We're so glad we choose this school!

Posted February 24, 2014
Buckley is promoted as a school that provides higher education and an accepting a close-knit community. The education is truly challenging and rigorous in the best way possible. As for the social environment at Buckley, it's the complete opposite. Most students are very money centered and will judge you if you're not up to date with the latest fashion, technology, etc. Students are very snotty when it comes down to where you live,what car you drive,what technology you own,and it's a very difficult situation for the few kids who receive on financial aid. Even teachers assume everybody comes from wealth. One of the teachers i had made fun of where i live(they did not know i lived there, again because they assumed nobody who can "afford" Buckley would live in that location). The diversity at Buckley is WEAK it's mostly white people and if you're not, then you're singled out. I would not recommend Buckley, the social separation based on ethnicity, socio economic status, and overall-appearance ruins this school of what otherwise could have been an amazing learning environment.

Buckley School, The