Westview School

Private | 6-12

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $584,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,820.

Sweep tile

Posted April 6, 2014

This school completely changed my daughter's life, not to mention everyone in her family and all the other people's lives she touches everyday and will touch in the future. She is deaf and was categorized as hopeless and unteachable and stuffed in Special Ed classes by our district on a track that would never allow her to attend college. She was miserable, defiant, and wasn't challenged or learning much. Two weeks into 9th grade at Westview, her whole life changed. She suddenly had friends, was excited about school (and learning!) and was getting As and Bs. Now she's heading off to a four-year university and wants to be a teacher. Wow. Thanks Westview!!!

Posted April 2, 2014

My son is a 7th grader on an IEP and has gone to Westview for almost 2 years now. He is excelling both academically, always has, and socially, where he never has. My son is safe and happy going to school and that has been a great relief to us, his parents, because we did not know that he would have been going to another school. No school is perfect, my older son went to a prestigious public high school and we were very underwhelmed by the school and his matriculation there. At Westview we can say that we have had our expectations meet and exceeded. Westview has done what they said they would do and the staff and administration are attentive to our concerns and needs. If you are looking for an NPS school for your child I and my wife wholeheartedly and enthusiastically recommend Westview.

Posted December 11, 2013

First the pluses. There are some amazing and dedicated instructors on staff. The disciplinary VP is stern yet fair, straightforward and respected. The college counselor is helpful and knowledgeable. Our disappointment lies with management. Our son was alleged to have engaged in improper activity off campus. The response was to deny him participation in grad night, prom, and most important to him, graduation, even though he completed all his requirements. We could never understand why he was severely punished for something alleged to have taken place outside the school s jurisdiction. Our pleas for an explanation went unheeded. Our son already suffered with low self-esteem, which he covered with bravado, obvious to those who know him. He was excluded and held to a higher standard than other students. Why he was not allowed to celebrate his greatest accomplishment is unfathomable. He still suffers from the effects of this cruel act, which was viewed by many as the result of a personal dislike for our son. This blow erased all the good done at the school. He was crushed out like a cigarette.

Posted November 2, 2013

well i go here, and im completely normal. One thing i noticed is that everyone else at the school has some sort or disability or something. Its kinda odd. Its hard to make friends here also judging by how weird some of the kids are. The social part is horrible at this school. The schoolwork is pretty helpful though. The teachers let you redo anything if you get under 70%. The teachers are also kinda mean though. They yell at you for dumb reasons and the school is really strict. I dont recommend this school unless your child has problems. (disabilities)

Posted September 30, 2013

I heard that not all of the teachers have a full teaching credential. Is this true? If so, that is a great concern to me.

Posted July 24, 2012

Westview has been a true blessing for our family. Our daughter entered as an extremely anxious 10th grader, unsure of her unfamiliar surroundings and new environment and stressed out about where/if she would fit in. It couldn't have been a more perfect fit! Our daughter has matured, blossomed and grown in so many ways at Westview: it was such a nurturing and supportive academic & social home. Through the mentoring of staff, she became the Senior Class President and Prom Queen, achieved several awards for her academic performance, obtained honor roll grades, and she is now off to college...Wow! We would have never imagined all this would have been possible a few years ago - and without Westview's guidance and support, we may not have seen these wonderful developments. Words cannot express our gratitude and appreciation for all of the effort of the excellent Westview teachers, counselors, and administrators - their hard work, long hours, undying determination, patience and healthy sense of humor made it all possible for our family. Westview has made a hugely positive impact in our lives. I can't recommend it highly enough! The Paffen Family

Posted July 4, 2012

My daughter successfully completed 4 years at Westview and was accepted at the 3 colleges she applied to. Even though Westview classes are very small, several tracks are offered within each subject for accelerated, medium and slower-paced students. Administration and staff are dedicated and supportive; no student is overlooked. Teachers are for the most part excellent and able to accommodate the variety of learning styles of the student body. Sports and electives round out the academic experience. All students, no matter what their disability, are able to achieve success; this is a great school to build a student's self confidence and self esteem.

Posted April 9, 2012

The caring teachers at Westview can't make up for what the school does to a kid's self esteem. Wish I had gone somewhere else. Going to Westview was an daily humiliation

Posted April 7, 2012

I went to this school for five years. And it is so true! This school destroys your sense of self worth. I went here for five years. With emotional issues I already had PLENTY of self confidence issues. But this place took it over the top. 11 years later and a lot of therapy I am still recovering from my experience at Westview. I literally lay awake some nights thinking about how much I despise this place. My family and I are sorrowful that I attended and amazed that I have been able to suceed despite my experience here and the fact that I recieved such a horrible education throughout high-school. Don't let Judy talk you into it! Look into other options for your child.

Posted March 21, 2012

My daughter is a ninth grade student at Westview. She refers to Westview as her " lifesaving miracle." This is the first school she has attended, that actually puts an end to bullying, truly does not tollerate bullying. Westview is the first school where my daughter has felt safe, valued, and free to learn. The teaching staff is gifted, enlightened, and motivating. Westview is providing my daughter with the gifts of learning, self-confidence, and a positive educational experience.

Posted January 31, 2012

This school created success for my son. It is an academically rigorous program that provides students with an excellent skill set when they graduate. Sports is well integrated into the curriculum, which is also a big plus in my mind.

Posted December 18, 2011

If I had it to do over again,I would not send my son to Westview. The reason: his sense of self-worth is lower than when he entered the school. Surely there must be techniques to engage students in ways that lessen their proclivity to be inattentive and disruptive other than meds and consequences. Kids don t feel that they receive age-appropriate treatment. A level system to earn privileges is something these kids thought they left behind in K-5. Our child hated riding the Westview bus. Neighborhood kids call Westview a school for ------- , a pejorative for kids with learning differences. So riding in a bus with the school name emblazoned on it was humiliating. He also wanted to attend a school with more choices in friends, electives and activities. He craved a normal high school experience. We let him transfer out and he is happier. But I don t feel that he is better off academically. Westview does have small classes and wonderful teachers in its favor. I am sure there are students that benefit from Westview, our child did not.

Posted October 8, 2011

My son is a senior at Westview. Previously, h attended a very highly rated school for children with LD. West view has provided him with a vastly superior experience. It is a challenging, nurturing and supportive school that provides children with LD the tools and confidence to use those skills in and out of the school environment. Prior to attending Westview, going on to college was not even a realistic possibility- now it is an expected part of my son's life. The staff, administration and teachers are all great at what they do, care foremost about the students and make Westview a place I endorse without hesitation.

Posted July 24, 2011

This purports to be a therapeutic program, and the teachers in general certainly do enhance that goal. They are understanding and innovative in adapting their methods to the needs of the children, aiming to bolster their self-esteem and help them achieve success. However, that being said, the bottom line success of an educational program, particularly a therapeutic one, lies with its administration. And in this respect, the school falls sorrowfully short. Administrative decisions are made unilaterally, in disregard of the student's known disabilities and the educational plan created to address those disabilities. So unfortunate that the good work of the faculty can be undermined and counteracted by an administration which doesn't seem to remember that the school's therapeutic purpose aims at a positive result for the child, not a negative one.

Posted July 11, 2011

This is in reply to the parent who wanted current review of Westview. The therapists in general seem to be caring. Our child liked his, but I can't say that the therapist was effective. Also the therapist rarely communicated with us. In general, teachers at this school are dedicated, caring, well-trained and very easy to reach. You can't ask for more in this regard. The director is not so easy to reach. She can take days to reply to emails or phone calls. Many students at Westview come directly from residential placement and have some serious issues. The school has lowered the admissions bar probably because it needs to increase enrollment. Drug use is rampant. Only recently was the drug problem seriously addressed, whereas, Summit View tackled it several years ago with dogs and searches.

Posted July 6, 2011

I am in need of hearing current comments on Westview please. Are there counselors / therapist there who REALLY understand the kids? Supportive?

Posted September 14, 2010

My son's Star scores jumped after his first year at Westview. I took out his 6th grade scores (another school) and compared with his recent 8th grade scores and all 4 categories rose to "Advanced". I was so surprised. He is happy there and feels accepted and has found a real best friend. It is a great school for my son.

Posted September 5, 2010

I did not select this school for my child after my visit and initial interview. There are no after school or extracurricular activities...if your child chooses a sport, then they practice one hour during school hours only. They have NO gymnasium....I chose Summit View Valley so my child can have a more well rounded and memorable high school year. Secondly, Secondly, most of the kids that go here have way more problems than Learning challenges. They have Aspergers, mild Autism and emotional problems. Not good. Summit View does not. They have another school (Village Glen) for those specific disorders.

Posted January 21, 2010

Our son went from having failed his first semester of 10th grade in public school to graduating from Westview with a 4.33 GPA. Now he is in his second year at a highly respected four year college, with a 4.0 GPA and a genuine love of learning. From top to bottom, the dedicated staff at Westview and the academic nurturing was the key to turning our son around 180 degrees. We highly recommend this school for anyone whose child can benefit from what it offers.

Posted November 4, 2009

Westview School is a school for students with special needs. I have never been around so many teachers, administration and students who like to teach want to go to school and care about the kids. This is my grandson second year attending this school. He has changed 350degrees with his attitude in everyday life and wanting to go to school. I am pround to be a grandma of a child that goes to Westview.

Ethnicity This school

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab