No rating

Good Shepherd Lutheran

Private | PK-6 | 52 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $280,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,290.

Sweep tile

Posted April 9, 2014

My daughter is in 10th grade honors classes. She graduated from 6th Grade at Good Shepherd. My son is in 4th grade at Good Shepherd. He reads at high school level. I believe students' high achievements come not only from parents but a great school with caring adults around them who teach with God on their side. This school is located in a section of Highland Park and is small enough to be called "a family." Because of its size I love to think my kids have had "private tutoring" throughout their time at Good Shepherd.

Posted April 9, 2014

I absolutely LOVE this school. Both my sons attended , and they loved the school. We are signing up our third child to attend starting in the fall. The teachers are incredibly lovely and patient. I love that religion is embedded into their day. They have discussions about being good to one another, learn Bible verses (including the "Our Father" in pre-school... 3 years old and he memorized the verse). Everyone is sweet and loving.

Posted August 6, 2013

this school is a wonderful place to have your children. People would be very happy if they put their child in this school

Posted September 20, 2012

Both my children have gone through this wonderful school. It is a learning environment filled with love and respect. The children are taught the basics of being good persons and community members while also being challenged academically. We're so glad we came across this gem!

Posted May 27, 2012

We've been part of the Good Shepard 'family' for the past six years. This is a small community full of caring, friendly, inclusive people who really care about the school and it's students. Although I was concerned about the tiny combined classes (about 7 kids per teacher in 1&2, 3&4, 5&6), this set-up worked well for my kids. There's plenty opportunity for one-on-one attention when it's needed. The children are respectful towards their elders and each other. The teachers are incredibly dedicated, always looking for ways to inspire their students and they consistently go above and beyond what's expected of them. I am so glad we found this school.

Posted June 1, 2011

I found the perfect school, and no this is not too good to be true. Fact is, the outstanding efforts of all the teachers and principal at this school is really what makes it a great school. Their attention to academics and citizenship is what helps the kids excel. Each chlid is held to a higher standard. There is no teasing, no bullying, and no foul language. I've been to other schools where this behavior is overlooked and shrugged over. I feel my daughters are safe and cared for with a great deal of attention on academics, as both my daughters continually test at least one grade level above their current one. They may not teach them to speak French at this school, but then again, they won't be going to France anytime soon and there's always Rosetta Stone. They have a healthy, safe environment, with Christian values and a loving caring family oriented community at Good Shepherd. Find out about Good Shepherd, It's the best school in the area.

Posted February 9, 2011

We LOVE Good Shepherd Lutheran School! We had looked at many schools around the area ,for our then 3 year old daughter, and we were not happy or comfortable with any of the schools we visited until we found Good Shepherd. The preschool teachers are all caring and nurturing. They honestly care for the well being of the children. My daughter, now 4 years old, has learned so much in the year she has been attending Good Shepherd. She knew how to write her name before the age of 4 and I love all the Christian values they have instilled upon her. If you are looking for a caring, nurturing, and academically challenged school for your child, I would highly recommend Good Shepherd Lutheran School. It is the best decision we made when choosing a school for our beloved daughter.

Posted October 12, 2010

Children receive an excellent education in a caring environment. Our test scores are some of the highest in the area.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 21, 2010

Great teachers, school, environment, kids program. Our daughter is in the preschool and she (we) loves it!

Posted November 28, 2009

I have three children, all of whom have or will attend Good Shepherd. My oldest, now a Junior in High School always comes home telling me how everything she is currently learning she already learned in 3rd & 4th grade, from Ms. Soriano! My second oldest is now in her class, and loves her as well as everyone of the teachers and staff from preschool on. My third is about to start preschool and I can't wait! I know my kids are in good hands and was relieved when I stumbled on this school 12 years ago. What a blessing it has been! It is the education and foundation I think every parent hopes for thier child(ren)!

Posted November 18, 2009

I am so happy at GSLS. Our son loves to go to school, my husband and I are truly happy with the religious foundation he is receiving, we are building like long friends and could not ask for more.

Posted November 12, 2009

This is the best school ever. My daughter not only has received the best education around (her cousins go to a public school and they are older than her but her school work is more advanced than theirs.), She has made some life long friends. Thanks you Good Shepherd for being there for us. For parents that don't think they can afford it, how can you not want the best possible education for your child. But Good Shepherd offers scholarship all you have to do is ask. For preschool Parents- They just opened a third preschool room. It looks outstanding.

Posted September 4, 2009

I am happy to report that we no longer share our campus with the high school charter school mentioned below. We now fully occupy our site, restoring our library, play yard, and computer lab to their full capabilities. We have an experienced, loving staff and great families. Our children test well and meet California State Standards as well as learning Christian concepts and behavioral goals. It's an excellent school to attend!

Posted April 28, 2009

My kids briefly attended this school in the fall of 2008, and after one month, I couldn't wait to transfer them to another school. What they didn't tell us, is that our kids would be would be sharing the space with a public charter high school. Had I known this, we would never have put our kids at Good Shepherd. If you are looking for a Christian education for your kids, I would strongly urge you not to consider Good Shepherd. There are some good people at this school, however after the high school kids arrived, the atmosphere at the school changed very quickley. The bottom line of course is money, and so our kids had to be exposed to that element because hey, they were paying the rent.

Posted January 3, 2007

I am completely satisfied with every aspect of this school. My children enjoy being at school and learning. The teachers are wonderful, experienced, and patient as well as the staff. The great part is that I can volunteer in my children's class to see the progress they make.

Posted July 26, 2004

Good Shepherd Lutheran School stands by it's mission statement. It encourages and developes mind in a loving understanding Christian based environment. All the teachers are very nutruing and loving. They not only care about the child academically, but they care for the child all around. Not only just for the child do they care about but for the entire family too. The proof is in the pudding. Our scores every year from standardize testing are the highest in the country. It would be ashame if others would go else where instead of this little loving school. We are happy with the education are child has received from this school. So, four thumbs up!

Ethnicity This school
Two or more races 4%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Spanish
  • Tagalog

Health & athletics

• Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Pat Rafacz
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Evangelical lutheran church in america
Associations

• Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Multi-aged
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Tutor(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Creative writing

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • 4H

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Private schools