No rating

Pinecrest Schools?Northridge

Private | K-5 | 161 students

Our school is best known for our academics and our warm atmosphere.

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $335,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,480.

Posted May 5, 2014

You are entitled to your opinion, but you should be truthful. No one was forced to sign anything and as soon as it was decided the school was not going to be open next year everyone was given a full refund.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 9, 2014

Awful. Only interested in money. School standard is pretty low. They have no place for next year but still forced us to pay contract fee. Education standard is not great and almost everything is extra charge.

Posted November 1, 2013

Agree with the rating about preschool. Awful. In the mornings, teachers sit around and have no interaction with the parent. One morning, both teachers were sitting at the eating table and there was no more space, so I had to put my child alone to eat at another table. None of the teachers moved to make space so my child can sit with all the other kids. The principal is harrasing parents with complaints. Harrasment is an understatement. I hate taking my child there. The child came home really dirty few times and the principal said that it is normal because the kids play at school. They keep a change of clothes for the child and they should use it. There is one friendly teacher, but that is it. Looking for a better place for the child.

Posted September 6, 2013

This is an awful preschool. They are only interested in your money. Do NOT send your child here. When I dropped off my child the teachers all were gathered near the desks, chatting and drinking coffee. There was no interaction with the children. When I picked my child up, the same thing. The tables were full of random toys and the kids ran around and played with whatever, however the teachers had no interaction or teaching going on. My child came home with scratches on his face and when I inquired, the director (who is awful) blamed it on my kid because of this or that. I removed him and found a great place, with caring teachers and for much less money.

Posted April 5, 2013

My son attends preschool so my reviews will only be based on my experience. What I like about this school is: - There is a feeling of community. Students, teachers and other faculty members call each other by first name basis. - Friendly staff - Kids, parents and people who work there have sense of belonging. - Great academic program. In Preschool, my son already recites Pledge of Allegiance. - Two teachers in one classroom. - Personalized classroom for the kids. - Safe environment - School well kept.

Posted June 26, 2012

Love this school. Can't say enough good things about the principal and her staff. The school is well run and the kids are happy. My family is in education and I know how hard it is to run a school. You can see that the principal and her staff work well together and the happiness is passed on to the kids. A rare find these days.

Posted May 31, 2012

We have been at this school for 7 years and have found the staff to be professional and warm. The Principal and the teachers are great. They are good with the kids and care about education. Our children love coming to school which is a big plus for us. Whenever we had a concern the Principal listened and helped us resolve the problem. The after school staff is great with the kids. They do fun things like face painting and games with hula hoops. This year there has been more parent involvement and we are happy to see this. We feel our kids are challenged academically and receive a good education. I have recommended the school to two friends who also enrolled.

Posted May 2, 2011

Great academic curriculum - our child has grown & learned a lot at Pinecrest. Bigger teacher turnover & increased class sizes in recent years.

Posted April 29, 2011

My daughter has attended since she was 18 months old and was even potty trained while in the toddler center. I really appreciate the character counts program and it has indeed instilled sound character traits and fostered a conducive learning environment for my daughter. She has successfully progressed via the preschool courses and is now a student in the Jr. Kindergarten. This is an accelerated Pre K program that has a rigorous curriculum. Essentially, the kids are doing kinder level work. Mrs. Zovig and her two aides are marvelous with all their students. The kids have been exposed to an abundant amount of academic material and they are maturing quickly. Amazingly, Mrs Zovig taught the kids a basic section on Anatomy and Physiology and the kids responded well as an entire class. As a result of attending the Jr. K Program, my daughter is able to write her first and last name, count to 100, write her numbers perfectly 1-50, write capital and lower case letters a-z, write short sentences, read books (i.e. The Cat in the Hat/ Green Eggs and Ham, and more), solve simple addition and subtraction problems....the list goes on and on. The spanish program is excellent too.

Posted February 10, 2011

My two children have both attended Pinecrest. My first started when he was two and was there until Kindergarten, and my youngest one is there now in the toddler center. Pinecrest has been an absolutely wonderful place for both of my children. My husband and I have never felt anxiety or concern over anything relating to the children there; we feel they are safe, well taken care of, and most importantly, are well taught. My oldest can read and do math at a third grade level now, both of which I attribute mostly to what and how we was taught at Pinecrest. He is now in first grade at a highly gifted magnet in the LAUSD, and although the quality of education he currently receives is outstanding, we miss the personal touch and openness with which he was treated at Pinecrest. In addition, I would consider the quality of instruction at Pinecrest to rival that of the gifted magnet; he has friends in first grade at Pinecrest who are learning the same things or, in some cases, are ahead in some subjects he is currently studying. We truly miss Pinecrest and highly recommend it to those who want a safe, friendly environment with excellent academics for their children.

Posted December 27, 2010

I attended Pinecrest Northridge from preschool-6th grade. LOVED IT ! GREAT SCHOOL WITH GREAT TEACHERS !

Posted September 1, 2010

i read the reviews about no parent involvement wanted and staff being unfriendly. Many of us parents know who wrote these.A couple of disgruntled people who want the school to do everything for them. We try to get away from people like this at sports games etc. because they talk your ears off and you can't see your kid play. When we disagree with them they get angry. I say if you're not happy, leave. A satisfied parent

Posted May 10, 2010

Very unfriendly staff. Charge extra for EVERYTHING. Poor before and after school program. Teachers assign projects that are way to difficult for the child, most projects the parents have to do rather than help their child. Many parents complain about this.

Posted May 10, 2010

Make sure you spend a lot of time at this school before you enroll. Talk to the principal (very unfriendly). No parent involvement allowed.

Posted March 19, 2010

Pinecrest has been a second home for both of my kids. The academic program is great. The teachers are awesome and they go above and beyond to teach their students. People that think this school is expensive are wrong and should do a more detailed research. We have to be realistic and understand that some kids need the extra tutoring and that doesn't make the school or the teachers a failure. I have to agree that the projects are very challenging, but the kids are supposed to do them and not the parents. As parents, it is our job to guide them, but not to do the work for them! This school is a Blue Ribbon School and I am sure the kids didn't earn that award by only 'drawing and cutting the entire day' Come on people!! Pinecrest: we appreciate you too!!

Posted February 21, 2010

I am a second grade parent whose child loves going to this school every day. The work is challenging and the teachers we've had so far have been wonderful. I saw the comment posted on Feb.11th and didn't understand it. As parents we get a weekly list of assignments and projects. I always know what is happening in the classroom. The work is advanced for the most part. There is no charge to go to the school library. We pay extra for lunch or sometimes a field trip but that's about it.Compared to some other private schools this one is not so expensive. Kudos to the principal and teachers for doing such a great job. We appreciate you.

Posted February 11, 2010

My Kid is in 1st grade. We are dissatisfied with principal and office plus academic program. School is very expensive. They charge us for each and every small things. Sometimes no hot water coming in restrooms.

Posted February 11, 2010

You don't get what you pay for. My daughter is going last 3 years. They don't pay attention to academis program. Everything has extra charge. I have to teach science at home and she learn math at Kumon. I have no idea what they do in school except drawing and cutting. But I have to admit one thing that they pay attantion to english. I agree that staff is nice only when want money from you. They charge money even sometimes they take kids to their own school library. School is very expensive compare to what they provide for education. There is no communication between parents and teachers. My daughter is in 2nd grade but they teach them KG lever Math. They give Math and Science hw for a page which is twice in a month. And project is for parents they don't help or teach how to do to kids.

Posted August 14, 2009

Pinecrest was excellent both academically and administratively as my daughter spent Kindergarten and 1st grade at Pinecrest in 2007-2009. Great exposure and great pace of learning to keep her ahead of the curve.

Posted February 24, 2009

We have our son in school since he was 3. He is in 1st grade now. So far, the teachers my son has w/ are great and very dedicated. The curiculum is fairly good, spanish, music, PE are provided regularly. I wish some of the enrichment programs like art, sports, music instrument, etc.. are included in the regular program instead of extra for every subject we'd like the kid to have.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 11%

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Nat. Honor Student Council Award (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Janice Rudd
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NIPSA
Fax number
  • (818) 363-9768

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Audiovisual aids
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
  • Dance

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Recycling club
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
Change of Circumstance Aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Pinecrest Middle Schools