No rating

Venice Lutheran School

Private | K-8 | 75 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $880,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,750.

Posted March 25, 2011

My son has been at the school for a few years and is very happy there, I can see from homework and schoolwork that he is learning at a high level and his growing knowledge is impressive I have to give full credit to his teachers and how seriously the school takes the student's education as I work full time. The tuition is affordable. The children are polite and well mannered, I would highly recommend the school.

Posted March 25, 2011

Last night Venice Lutheran had a screening of the documentary RACE TO NOWHERE. After seeing this film I am even more convinced that our children are attending a school that fits our priorities. The school places an emphasis on instilling the love to learn instead of pressuring the teachers and students to make the test scores because no child is exactly the same. Now more than ever I believe that this school is a great place to grow. The fact that this school is even willing to have this dialogue with parents and the community at large says a lot about the principal and teachers openness to new ideas.

Posted March 24, 2011

As a parent of First Lutheran School for many years now, we feel the school speaks for itself. It has been there for over 60 years & the principal for over 25 years, how many schools can match that? Our Alumni students who have graduated have gone on to superior Hi Schools & Colleges. The school is SAFE, free from drugs & violence. It teaches a strong moral value. It is a small town feel in a big city. We wouldn't be any where else!

Posted March 22, 2011

Very religious. School lacks leadership. Poor middle school. One teacher has been known to ridicule and shame students in front of class. Accreditation allowed expire. Too late to renew and Principal is advocating against reapplying. Combined classes. Excellent third and fourth grade teacher.

Posted January 4, 2011

very bad middle school, lacking leadership from the Principal who seems to notice nothing. Poor teaching especially in Math area. Students are taught that non Christians go to hell. WEIRD Favoritism is very heavy in this school. Wish I had never sent my kid here. Not worth the money. Not meeting grade level for charter/public schools.......

Posted January 22, 2010

First Lutheran has been a great for my daughter and the music program is excellent. Great after school enrichment program. Very dedicated teachers who push the kids to reach their highest potential.

Posted October 13, 2009

What rare find and special school! From the school's principal and small campus to the mixed grade classroom and art and music programs, this Venice Lutheran may just be be the best kept secret in West LA. The principal was honored by the City of LA for his commitment to assuring the talents of all of our youth are developed to their maximum potential, and commended him for displaying a beautiful example of how learning and leadership are indispensable to one another. For our children this school continues to be a great place to learn and grow.

Posted January 10, 2009

FLV is an excellent school. My daughter attended Kindergarten and First grade at the school until we were transfered back to Louisiana. My daughter enjoyed her time at FLV and it is the standard that she and I compare her current school. She received an Excellent education in a safe and caring environment. She was provided with many educational opportunities that continue to positively impact on outlook on education, friendship and faith. FLV is an extended family and it is 'A Wonderful Place to Grow'. My daughter misses her friends and teachers and would love to return to school at FLV. Great School! Great Experience!

Posted October 23, 2008

My children just started their second year at First Lutheran. We love the teachers, the principal and the community of parents. I feel like my kids are getting a great eduction in a loving environment. We are so lucky to have found this school!

Posted October 11, 2008

Our daughter recently started kindergarten here and we couldn't be happier. The class size is small, her teacher is very focused and the parents all seem truly vested in the school. I can't imagine a school I'd rather send her too. I am so glad we found this place.

Posted October 10, 2008

FLV has been a gift to our family. Our children are receiving a exceptional education. The staff and parent involvment is above and beyond what is standard for schools. The school is like an extended family, a place where everyone from the youngest to the oldest truly care for each other.

Posted October 10, 2008

This is such an excellent school! They have high expectations academically, and the teachers and staff genuinely love and care for the students. My child attended Coeur d'alene elementary first, and while it was fine academically, there was very little parent-teacher interaction. First Lutheran is a small school where teachers work with parents to give the best possible education to each individual child. Children are taught values, mutual respect, and manners. These are missing from public schools and many private schools! First Lutheran is an excellent value for the impact it will have on your child's life.

Posted September 11, 2008

FLV is an excellent school. Don't let the parochial aspect fool you; it s better than many high priced private schools in LA. A great education and where each child is known by all staff on a first name basis. The curriculum incorporates enrichment, music, art and whole child approach and wonderful principle. I too am surprised there s no wait list.

Posted June 12, 2007

Our experience at First Lutheran was mixed. We loved the warm and friendly atmosphere, and there is a definite feeling of community. My biggest problem is that the school lacks leadership. We'll miss the wonderful aspects of this school but not the bad ones.

Posted September 22, 2005

This is a wonderful small school with lots of parent involvment.

Posted June 1, 2005

This is a great school small school. All the kids get to know eac other and feel very secure.

Posted May 6, 2005

This small school is great if you start your children there right in kindergarden. The discipline is very strict ranging from the uniform to the dots on the 'i' and the bars on the 't', and if your kids come from a public school, the transition can be very rough. On another hand, they are working closely with the parents, and this can be a supportive community : you are engulfed in the school (and the church if you want to).

Posted April 21, 2005

Good overall educational program. No special services for children with learning disabilities or special needs. Very traditional education. Classrooms are combined with another grade (i.e. 3rd/4th, 5th/6th).

Posted September 17, 2004

First Lutheran is a small and concentrated environment. Each class shares two grades; however, there are only 10 to 12 students per class so there are approx 20 to 24 students in each classroom. We have attended four years now and have excelled academically and embraced spiritually! We love the uniforms too! Be prepared though, the school requires a great deal of volunteer efforts not only for the sake of the children but for fundraising as well. I have found that the parents tend to be a bit 'clicky'; the volunteers v. the non volunteers, but if you can get past that the childrens' friendships seem to endure regardless!

Posted April 14, 2004

This is a very good school. The teachers are dedicated, very experienced and are involved with the church too. Christian principals are encouraged. The band class is wonderful. It's small but I find that good because it enables the child to really learn music. On the down side I sometimes feel as though the kids should have a little more work. Because the teachers are splitting their time amongst various subjects, it doesn't seem as though the kids get enough devotion in any one particular are. Lastly, the tuition is somewhat reasonable, however, they keep going up. Bottomline, if you are looking for a good Christian school, you shouldn't pass this one up. I would send my child there again if I had to do it all over.

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 11%

• Mr. David Rusch
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

815 Venice Boulevard