Los Angeles, CA

Venice Lutheran School 3

Posted August 06, 2015
Favoritism was not hidden from the non-glory children (parents who worked there/were very involved), those kids never were touched and got away with murder. While I made a couple of amazing friends here, I do regret staying through graduation. VLS changed math programs so it is "go at your own pace" which left me (as well as others who did not shine brightly in math) beginning high school without even completing pre-algebra. Luckily my current math teachers have caught me up and I am now a straight-A math student. Cell phone policies were ridiculous. Mine fell out of my pocket AFTER school and was kept overnight. Very irritating and inconvenient. The plays/performances put on were a joke, so don't listen to their spiel about how they have all different activities, because they don't. I enjoyed meeting 2 of my best friends here; however, if you want your child to be in a closed-minded very sheltered environment, this is it. I wish things would've been more diverse for the 8 years I spent there

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 06, 2015
teachers teach all the subjects; not different teachers for each one. I'm not sure what each teacher had their degree in but I don't think it was for the subjects they taught

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 06, 2015
too much in a sense it was busywork every night. Didn't take much away going into HS

Posted October 29, 2014
Nothing but amazing things to say about our experience at VLS. The teachers and staff make the school. Its a caring enviroment that allows children to prosper.

Posted September 03, 2014
Best school my kid has attended - and we've tried a few from Santa Monica to Manhattan beach! Thank you VLS for a great first class education!!!

Posted June 01, 2014
My 2 kids have been going to First Lutheran since Kindergarten. They are now in 5th and 6th grades. As a parent you always wonder if you are doing the right thing with the kids. As a Yale Graduate and product of the Manhattan Beach school district I will say that this is the best thing I have ever done for my little guys. The other schools in town are okay but quite frankly way overpopulated and most of the the teachers who can never be fired at the public schools are just there for the paycheck...total b team. There are about ten kids a grade a FLV and have an incredible soccer culture. If you are not in the school band you are in the school play...etc etc...think going to school in a very small town in America. If you freak out about religion or homework then dont send your kid there as they teach religion and you will have homework every night. Funny thing is that one of my kids is a believer and the other is on the fence...ha. Bottom line...great school ...amazing families...and the kids are always doing something fun and learning values instead of rap.

Posted March 03, 2014
Change is hard for many people. Our principle is retiring after 30 years of dedicated service to this wonderful school and our board of Education has decided not to renew our 5th/6th grade teacher contract for next year. Naturally, some people are upset about these changes. Though the 5th/6th grade teacher was loved by many, there have also been complaints about her teaching methods. My child has been at this school since Kindergarten, is currently in 7th grade and we are very happy here. We personally love that teacher and are not happy that she isn't coming back but that's not our decision to make and I trust our board of Ed to find a good replacement. I've also met the new principle and I believe she will be a perfect fit. This is an excellent school with top notch curriculum, a caring, loving staff, and very involved parents. Take the time to visit and talk to parents and staff members and you'll see for yourself. Gossip is not the best way to find a school for your child.

Venice Lutheran School 1

Posted February 10, 2014
Before considering this school ask the following questions: How many families have left in the past few years and why? Why is the principal leaving? Was this his choice? Are the teachers accredited? Is the school accredited? With the dramatic declining enrollment what is the likelihood the school will be able to remain open. Ask to speak to members of this school's board of education to get the real answers.

Posted January 16, 2014
Our child, who was one of those "leg holding / I don't want to go to school kids at first", loves Venice Lutheran, and is growing intellectually, emotionally and spiritually each day. I can't recommend a better school for anyone looking for a christian / family centered school for their child.

Posted January 13, 2014
Moving from Europe to the US was a big step. But deciding for a school for our daughter was maybe even more difficult. We visited a couple of scholls but no school felt so friendly, safe and in a way familiar than Venice Lutheran. The way they teach and guide at VLS is with a real personal approach . the small sizes of the classes helps with that ofcourse but the teachers at VLS are super involved and take so much care in teaching the kids. Our daughter is currently in 8th grade and it will be an emotional farewell....

815 Venice Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90291