K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

This is a wonderful school!! The teachers and staff are so supportive. It's a small school where each child gets a lot of personal attention. The teacher's push the children to excel in every subject. Most importantly my child is incredibly safe. It's not just a school it's a family and everyone looks after each other and supports one another. The band is excellent.

As a former public school teacher, for 6 years, to say I took the school search for my child seriously, is an understatement. We live in an excellent public school district, in the South Bay. Yet, we make the 45 miniute commute to Venice Luteran School (VLS), by choice. Venice Lutheran School is a wonderful environment for my child. The stable and knowledgable teaching base, individualized attention, small class room environment (Kinder is capped at 15 kids, with at least two teachers), adherence to instilling the values of kindness, service, and community, vibrant administrator, and the commitment to keeping learning fun is part of what makes the commute worth it for our family. There is no standardized testing involved in the curriculum until the second grade. This has been a saving grace as a parent, of a child with anxiety. She gets to spend her time playing, learning, and learning through play as is age appropriate for a 5 year old. The most refreshing thing about VLS, is that all kids get to be themselves, and develop the love of learning, in a supportive environment. Each morning. my kid loves going to school. That lets me know that we found the right fit!

Venice Lutheran has been our school home, since my children were in Kindergarten. They are currently in 6th & 7th grade, respectively. Both of my children have thrived at VLS! The teachers are superb! All school staff members truly care about the students on campus. Due to the small class size, faculty members are able to give the kids individualized attention and assistance as needed. True, the school is Lutheran in nature. Yet, the program, and all involved, practice and teach a genuine love and respect for all around. Although we aren't a religious family, we have been warmly welcomed by the VLS community. My children have been nurtured and loved by everyone here. They have never been pressured in any way, or made to feel uncomfortable, during school events, due to our nonreligious stance. In fact, the majority of students on campus are not religious. This tight knit VLS community has been a great fit for my family! I absolutely recommend this school for anyone who is looking for a campus that balances high academic, developmentally appropriate, standards for the learning environment within a loving, caring, child centered community.

Subpar teachers and curriculum. An evangelical based school. The kids are taught that those who are not believers will burn in hell. Nice thing to teach 5 year olds. No thank you.

Venice Lutheran School has been our community for the past several years. We are transplants to L.A. and have no family here. When I drop my daughter off at school, I know she is cared for and thriving. Her standardized test scores have been great and she loves every minute of being at school. I was also very surprised at how affordable a private school in Venice, CA could be. The staff is incredible. Your child receives so much personal attention and they develop the whole person there - academics and character building. Down to how to make proper eye contact and a good hand shake :) I can't say enough good things.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

See my other comments. Individualized lesson plans - no one slips through the cracks. Love and care applied in all areas.

Amount of homework: Agree

There's always homework, but the children are so enthusiastic and engaged that they bring their curiosity and joy to it.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school treats the child as an individual, while teaching the importance of the community at large. They teach love and grace on top of math and reading.

Favoritism was not hidden from the non-glory children (parents who worked there/were very involved), those kids never were touched and got away with murder. While I made a couple of amazing friends here, I do regret staying through graduation. VLS changed math programs so it is "go at your own pace" which left me (as well as others who did not shine brightly in math) beginning high school without even completing pre-algebra. Luckily my current math teachers have caught me up and I am now a straight-A math student. Cell phone policies were ridiculous. Mine fell out of my pocket AFTER school and was kept overnight. Very irritating and inconvenient. The plays/performances put on were a joke, so don't listen to their spiel about how they have all different activities, because they don't. I enjoyed meeting 2 of my best friends here; however, if you want your child to be in a closed-minded very sheltered environment, this is it. I wish things would've been more diverse for the 8 years I spent there

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

teachers teach all the subjects; not different teachers for each one. I'm not sure what each teacher had their degree in but I don't think it was for the subjects they taught

Last modified Venice Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades K-8