No rating

Country School, The

Private | K-8 | 130 students

Igniting Minds and Inspiring Lives

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $445,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,430.

Posted Wednesday, July 23, 2014

This is a fantastic school both socially and academically. We couldn't have made a better choice.

Posted April 7, 2014

This is far from the happiest on earth. This school will show your children a delusional view of the world.The staff will 99% of the time make a mountain out of a molehill. The head of school, Holly is nothing more than a bully to her staff who are made to " report every little thing to here in a e-mail instead of just dealing with it them self's. Its diversity is "ONLY" in the kids not the staff. So if you can not relate to the kids how can you teach them?

Posted January 5, 2014

Move over Disney, TCS is the happiest place on earth!. This is our fourth year and our daughter is absolutely thriving. With two teachers in each classroom, each one has the time to really get to know each child and the best part is the way the students care for each other. This is an authentic place where children can learn in an environment that is warm and nurturing. There is no other school quite like the Country School. If you're looking for a safe and welcoming place for your child get a fabulous education and make friends that will last a lifetime, this is it.

Posted December 13, 2013

TCS is such an amazing place. This is our 9th year at the school. They have taken my children from pre-school to middle. The academics are cutting edge. Subjects are taught in such a way that my kids retain the knowledge - they don't just memorize facts for a test. The school is very nurturing. They have a zero tolerance for bullying of any kind. On the playground you will see a 3rd grader playing with a 5th grader or a 1st grader playing with a 4th grader. It's like one big family. I wish the world was all like TCS!!

Posted October 29, 2013

From what I have witnessed so far I would never send my child there.Kids are not treated equally and fayrly.

Posted August 1, 2013

Wow! I love it! My daughter has been asking ALL SUMMER when she gets to go back to school! I love her teachers, the sweet small campus and close knit parent community. Happy after 5 years here - I wish it went through High School! I just read that parent comment and all I want to say is that every school does its very best to raise money. Oh well, I am sure they will find a school that suits THE PARENT'S needs rather than evaluate a school on the CHILD'S needs. I have not experienced arrogance - ever. The Country School has always felt like a haven in the middle of a huge city.

Posted July 28, 2013

I was not impressed by this school. The staff were not welcoming and I wasn't sold on the curriculum. I did not get the impression that the students were pushed enough and the environment, as a whole, was way too 'lax. I recommend that the staff care less about the $ and not behave in an arrogant manner as they have no reason for feeling entitled or special.

Posted February 24, 2013

TCS is the best kept secret in the Valley. Low student-teacher ratios thanks to two teachers in each classroom means children get the individual attention they need and get extra attention when needed and are challenged to exceed beyond their grade level if they are advanced. This school completely understands each student and ensures they get a tailored education as well as a solid foundation to be kind and compassionate. We wish they went through high school!

Posted November 15, 2012

Incredible, sweet, nurturing, high academic standards but with the structure and support for my child to succeed. We just transitioned into the middle school and WOW! We have been guided every step of the way! Our child has been treated with kindness and respect and LOVES the teachers!!! The Country School is a HAVEN for kids to hold onto their childhood just a little longer in a diverse, caring, compassionate environment where their voices are HEARD! As a parent, I have learned so much, my questions have been answered thoroughly and the teachers and staff all have been like family. Our family couldn't be happier. Our only wish is that The Country School went through High School!

Posted November 14, 2012

I have be at The Country School for 3 years now and it has been God sent. I have two children that are doing very well academically and socially. The teachers and staff are amazing. The new head of school is taking the school to another level of excellence. I have never seen so many parents involved in a private school. Highly recommend The Country School.

Posted May 30, 2012

I don't recommend this school!!!! Teachers are unqualified and are not interested in the well being of the students!! their interest lies in the parents money!!

Posted October 14, 2011

We are in love with The Country School. Our children joined last year and the are each so happy and thriving. They never want to leave the campus and bemoan holidays and days off! This is a very special place where students get a well-rounded education and learn to be truly good human beings who care about others and the world we live in. We're blessed to have our children there.

Posted September 7, 2011

We're entering our 4th year at TCS and overall, the experience has been phenomenal. Diversity that's unparalleled at any other independent school aside, my children are getting a solid education and they are learning about life and how to grow into thoughtful, compassionate and kind human beings. I almost always hear that my children and their peers at TCS are so kind, well-behaved and sweet compared to other kids their age -- typically from other parents who are used to interactions with elementary-aged children from other schools. I think the characters that are being nurtured at TCS are a testament to the staff and community. Academically, I've also been thrilled. My children are flourishing at TCS. My 1st grader was challenged (thanks to small classes and individualized attention) and was reading at a 4th grade level and accomplishing division in math by the end of the last school year. My 3rd grader received some of the highest scores (7s, 8s and a couple of 9s) on the standardized ERB tests. Incredible. TCS combines values with solid academics. I'm thrilled to be a part of the community.

Posted March 19, 2011

We began out first year at TCS after taking out child from LAUSD. The Kinder program is awesome. I love Letty and Reggie. They give your child an sense of independence, they embrace each child with a parenting spirit, but also while teaching them the right choices to make on a daily. The other teachers are also kind and ready to take your child to the next level. I am blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of the TCS experience. And no your kids never want to leave. There is just a style and a way that they do it. And they do it well!

Posted January 13, 2011

I have three children at TCS. We ve been there since 2004, and feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience the preschool, the elementary, and the middle school. TCS has a big heart. TCS provides strong academics, following the California State Standards, yet also offers progressive, experiential learning, with individual attention to each student. Preschool and elementary school have 2 very supportive, credentialed teachers per classroom. Fantastic middle school teachers keep students engaged. If I had any doubts in my mind at all about the academics, they were completely alleviated when my children scored in the top percentiles on their ERB tests. TCS is green, teaches ethical behavior, integrity, tolerance, & community service. TCS s anti-bullying program is used as a model at other schools. TCS prides itself on ethnic, economic, social, and religious diversity. We have a fabulous principal, great art, music, theater, and tech teachers, 2 great coaches, & a new blacktop with exciting home games. My children love TCS. In fact, it s hard to get them to leave after school s dismissed. What does it mean when you can t get your kid s to leave school?

Posted November 19, 2010

Our family has been at The Country School for three years now -- and when I say our family, I mean that in addition to the well-rounded education my sons are getting, the school provides a strong support-system and community for parents. Parent involvement and 'giving' isn't pushed at The Country School. Parents are involved because we love the environment that is solidly guiding our children through their young years. Between the fantastic team teaching approach -- the teachers are second to none -- and the teacher to student ratio is phenomenal. The only thing I'd like to see improve is the sports area; other than that, TCS is an incredible school. I'm glad we've found it among all the others.

Posted May 13, 2010

The Country School is a gem in our big city. If you're looking for an educational environment that nurtures while teaching, then TCS is for you. The teachers, coaches, administration -- everyone -- truly operates on what is best for each individual student. They bring a personalization that I doubt can be found elsewhere while also maintaining a wonderful overall environment. Sure, the school isn't lush with rolling meadows and fountains. The value is in the teachers and the staff. I'll take that any day over an Olympic-sized pool and lavish foliage...as would the other families at TCS which makes it a unique school that combines education, strong values and community.

Posted April 27, 2010

Because the kids are happy, feel loved and are learning so much they don't even realize it.

Posted March 24, 2010

I've been a parent at The Country School for 13 years and I can honestly say we do not have any drugs on our campus. The school has been a fantastic transition for my older kids and my youngest is delighted and thrives academically. The community as a whole is wonderful and I can't say enough about the school.

Posted March 24, 2010

I have two children at The Country School, and I have a spent a lot of time on its campus talking to teachers, other parents, and students. The contention that there is a lot of drug use at TCS is laughable. If anything, the students are refreshingly innocent about such matters. And TCS does regular anti-drug education for grades 5-8. I also disagree with the claim that the school is lacking in academic terms. I have found the learning to be especially stimulating for my children, with more hands on activities, writing instruction and emphasis on critical thinking skills than I could hope for. They put two fully qualified teachers in every elementary classroom with groups of 20 or so students. I don't know of any other school, public or private, that devotes so much of its resources to classroom instruction. TCS is a great school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Holly Novick
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (818) 752-1554

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Media arts

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom