K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

There are a lot of new teachers at this school. Many of the older and more experienced teachers have been let go, and the ones that remain are handicapped by the head of school's authoritarian controlling management style. The teachers are not allowed to communicate with parents about their children unless emails have been reviewed and edited by the head of school. Their effectiveness is very limited by the new administrative policies set by the head of school, placing more importance on keeping up appearances than helping and teaching to the individual.

Please beware this school. It is not professionally run, nor is it financially viable as enrollment dwindles. When touring the school, the head of school will falsely present a utopian school paradise, with happy children that never want to leave and a "No Homework" policy. It is cult-like, with catch phrases "The Country School way" and "If only the rest of the world were like The Country School - the world would be a better place!" It all sounds ideal. Remember though, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. It is a disfunctional environment, led by a disingenuous authoritarian administration, with large teacher turnover due to the administration management style. Once your children are immeshed in this school, it is very difficult to leave. Don't be seduced by the No Homework policy sale's pitch. I have regret that I did not pull my children out of this messy school sooner. We were afraid to leave. I would hate for others to have the stressful negative experience we had, so that is why I chose to write this review. Now that we have left and our children have adapted and are thriving in other "more academic" schools I can objectively compare it, and say not only are the other private schools more compassionate and giving our children a better education, but I can say with certainty TCS is toxic.

A wonderful place with a true focus on nurturing creativity and intellectual curiosity. The no homework policy creates a much greater focus on teaching IN the classroom.

This school is our second home. I have seen my children blossom into caring, thoughtful and confident individuals. We feel lucky that we get to go home and enjoy our children with the no homework policy. There is nothing missing in their education and they get to come home and be children.

Amount of homework: Agree

In the higher grades, we were able to adjust the amount of homework our son receives that was right for his abilities.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They adopt a philosophy of "Emotional IQ"— which teaches kids to be good citizens of the world, and also work hard on conflict resolution techniques with the kids.

We've been here since Kindergarten and am so glad we made our son's educational journey here. Very small class size enables the teachers to develop a plan that addresses your child's strengths and weaknesses. Loved our teachers throughout, and Principal Holly is a wonderful resource to have on hand--she really knows our son and has helped guide his path through the years. The students are truly a diverse group of kids, and the school fosters a atmosphere of acceptance and individuality. There's not a lot of bells and whistles here, but for individualized academic attention and a nurturing environment, you can't ask for better.

I am so thankful that we found TCS and only wish we had started our child here earlier. As with any place it is not "perfect", but the academics are very good, my child is allowed to be curious and creative and the heart of TCS is impossible to overlook. The teachers truly love these kids and do everything in their power to help them thrive. There could certainly be some improvements in some of the operational aspects, but I far prefer a happy, well educated, well loved child to a well oiled machine.

I would not recommend this school. It is a dysfunctional place, run by an inexperienced head of school, and no principal. Some good teachers, but too much dysfunction, and kids with behavor issues. Do yourself, and your children a favor, and find a professionally run school for them to attend.

TCS doesn't get enough credit for its outstanding academics and overall academic rigor. This school has been incredible for my child and is truly more than we ever could have hoped for. My child is absolutely thriving!

Last modified Country School, The is a Private school that serves grades K-8