Marlborough School

Private | 7-12

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $506,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,220.

Sweep tile

Posted May 20, 2013

One of these reviewers is targeting the head of administrations directly. I happen to know her and she is amazing her daughter was selected to go there, but not because of her moms position. I also know her daughter. She is a brilliant girl and does more community service then humanly possible. It is disgusting that some one would be so mean to either of them.

Posted November 12, 2012

I too have a daughter at Marlborough and, like the previous posters, and so thankful she attends this fine school. She too began in 9th grade but had an awkward transition coming from a public institution. The administration went out of its way not only to keep her on track academically but help her get her social footing. 3 years later, she is a poised, self confident young woman who is ready to save the world! Dr. Wagner is amazing as is everyone who works there. We could not have asked for a better educational experience. And to those young women who did not get in, take this lesson from Marlborough; challenge yourself academically, be civic minded, treat others with respect, and, most of all, believe in yourself - you will succeed.

Posted October 24, 2012

My daughter just entered Marlborough at the 7th Grade after attending a less academic West LA private school since kindergarten. Our daughter is very academic and is very self motivated. She made the decison to attend Marborough (as she was accepted to all four private schools she applied to). Marlborough is very challenging (there is a big difference from her prior school). However, our daughter thrives on the challenge. The fellow students, teachers and administrators have been nothing but very warm and friendly. The extracurricular opportunities are amazing. Our daughter is having the time of her life and enjoys every moment. I take her to the school bus everyday early in the morning. Despite the early start, our daughter is always excited and looks forward to go to school every day. From a parent's perspective, Marlborough is all you could hope for in a school for your daughter. Barbara and her staff should be commended for leading an incredible academic environment for teenage girls. As parents, we have found the parents to be friendly and welsoming as well.

Posted October 5, 2012

Excellent school for girls. Barbara Wagner provides strong, intelligent and compassionate leadership. The teachers are very engaging and encouraging. The community nurtures the academic, social, and emotional development of the girls. We couldn't wish for more for our daughter.

Posted August 16, 2012

I love that the heady, snobby, and bitter reviews are written by mothers that didn't even have a daughter attending Marlborough. My daughter just graduated from Marlborough. She began in 9th grade and was given quite a bit of financial aide so she could attend. I am a school teacher and we have a very modest income. The teachers, faculty, and staff go out of their way to make every girl feel welcome. My daughter blossomed academically and creatively at Marlborough because of the opportunity to work so closely with her teachers. Marlborough has great diversity both racially and socioeconomically. My daughter earned every grade and award she received. She made lifelong friendships and learned amazing lessons. They can't take every girl. It doesn't mean that each girl that applies is not a great kid. Mothers need to stop taking it so personally. It is one of the best schools in the country, and it was a wonderful blessing to be a part of it.

Posted August 10, 2012

My sister was the one 8th grader to be accepted into marlborough. she went to all the events and immediatly made friends. everyone who says that its not a good school or rated it a 2 is a jealous prson whos never been to such a wonderful school before. plz ppl, dont get jelly cuz sum1 else got accepted nd ur daughter dint.

Posted December 20, 2011

Best High School in Los Angeles. Girls get accepted to the best colleges and universities in the nation.

Posted December 15, 2011

As a middle-class Marlborough parent, I cannot disagree more with some of the reviews here. I have two daughters in the school and their experience has been amazing. The school champions the girls and when help is needed in any venue are there to teach a path to success. It is an arduous academic environment but we have never come across a teacher who hasn't been willing to put in the extra time to help a girl succeed. Any girl who attends Marlborough is a lucky one - they will receive an amazing education as well as finding life-long friends and wonderful memories.

Posted July 22, 2011

How interesting indeed. Encouraging the children who attend this school to write glowing reviews is one thing, but the fact is, families are selected to attend this school, not children. If you, as a parent, fit the profile that the feminist head of school is focused on, and if you are desperate enough to jump through the hoops, your child may be "selected". As a parent, your reward will be an 11-1 teaching ratio, and a custom curriculum for your child. The downside is...indoctrination to a social and political milieu of highly critical peers (for both you and your child) that you may not be fully able to compete with . Truly a great place for a parent to continue to manipulate their child, and for the parent, in turn, to be manipulated. There is a quote by Groucho about clubs that you might want to look up.

Posted July 2, 2011

I attend Marlborough, and I find it to be the most amazing school I have ever attended! All of the programs are challenging without being too hard, the teachers are amazing, and I enjoy every day there. My only complaint would be that all the doors open outwards, so you almost always get hit by the door you are walking by. I do not agree with any bad reviews, e.g. the girls aren't snotty, they're just above your level. All teachers are willing to help, and there is always review in classes so that you are somewhat prepared in class, and if you don't study that's your problem. Marlborough is a slightly selective school, meaning they choose students by who they think will succeed. I was honored to get in. Overall, it is an amazing school, which you should try to attend.

Posted June 6, 2011

I am a recent graduate of Marlborough, and let me just say that I couldn't have wished for a more incredible place to spend six years of my life. A huge misconception about Marlborough is that it is snobby, over-competitive, and filled with girls who will buy their way into the most prestigious schools in the country. I can tell you from experience that these are all false. I have never met a more supportive, intelligent, down-to-earth group of people than I have encountered at Marlborough. Every girl more than earns their slot in their future university by working as hard as they can for six years. The school community is something that can only be understood from the inside because the bonds that are created at Marlborough are indescribable. The teachers become your friends, your classmates become your sisters, and the school becomes your home. Marlborough has given me more than an amazing education, it has given me the confidence to succeed in college and in life.

Posted May 25, 2011

A great school that I would never let my child attend. The stage-parents that buy their way into this school are to be avoided at all costs. The environment, the teachers, the parents, the children are excellent, balanced, ethnically diverse, and perfect in every way. My child is not perfect, and dare I say, probably will never be so. The results, however, speak for themselves, with this school producing corporate executives, upper-tier professionals, and over-achievers in every possible niche of society. If your aim is to buy your way into Stanford or Harvard, and with it, the power hungry, feminist, elitist, snob-driven society of perfect people that go along with it, then this is the absolute best prep school available for your daughter, and a superior way to spend $35,000+ a year. Bon Chance.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 20, 2011

The elitism and self-satisfaction at this school ascend new heights each year. From the admissions officer (whose children were "selected" to attend) to the head of school's holier than thou attitude, the conflation of superiority and egotism inextricably afford passage to unnecessary snobbery among fatuous middle school and high school girls. Think twice before abdicating your daughter to such an insular and profligate environment. We should have.

Posted January 18, 2011

I'm a student at Marlborough, and though I don't have a lot of experience to go off of, I think Marlborough is a fantastic school. Though a bit too competitive (though that can hardly be avoided in a college prep school), the environment is great. Everyone is close, and though obviously there will be a few people who aren't so nice, students are helpful to one another. Since it's small, it has a completely different feel (and better feel), than Harvard-Westlake has with its giant class and campus (giant compared to other private schools of course).

Posted August 2, 2010

Marlborough school has one of the most powerful heads of school in the city...Barbara Wagner's intensity and belief in the empowerment of young women is unwavering. The academic demands are tough and the school is not appropriate for students who think of middle and high school as a time to party. The admissions officers work hard to attract students from diverse backgrounds and have been succeeding admirably. However, in terms of diversity, the hiring practices seem to favor smart, white faculty emphasizing ivy league degrees rather than diversity. The students should have a faculty that looks more like them. There is a lack of heart in the Upper School administration, but my daughters have survived thanks to caring teachers.

Posted June 24, 2010

As a student that recently graduated from Marlborough School in 2009, I found my experience nothing less than phenomenal academically, athletically, and socially. The institution continues to serve me several times over as I make my way through college as well as my professional life. Marlborough upholds a culture of integrity and hard work while also promoting a strong community and service to outside communities. While I'm sure I didn't know how absolutely amazing Marlborough School was while I attended, I see now that I will always be proud and lucky enough to have been a Violet.

Posted March 13, 2010

Marlborough is an excellent school! The administration, faculty, staff and parents work to ensure superior student performance! My daughter entered in 9th grade. She tested into French 3 Honors, in 10th grade she passed the French AP exam with a score of 5! She is excelling in Math [Calculus, Economics] and she enjoys the challenges Marlborough has to offer! The girls must pass a cpr, lifeguard test to graduate - there are many opportunities available for extra-curricular activities. The campus is beautiful and recently renovated!! My daughter will be a senior next year - time has flown quickly!!

Posted February 9, 2010

The academics are incredible, but the girls can be so rude. It's only the simple things too that drive me crazy like: 1. No one (no one) holds doors open for you 2. Everyone is mean to anyone younger (8th to 7th, 11, to 9th, 12 to 7th, ect.). This is my second year and i can't stand it anymore. I have been very challenged but i really dont get breaks from homework because i'm constantly studying for the next midterm or grammar check or project. In 7th grade, my friend stayed up until 3 in the morning! its ridiculous and i wish i had chosen a different school that fits my level
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 4, 2010

Terrible choice for a school. NO time for a social life, does NOT represent a traditional high school experience. If you want to spend your entire life at home studying with no time for any extracurriculars, go ahead.

Posted July 29, 2009

Having been a student at Marlborough for a full six years, I am certain that I am better person, citizen and friend because of my attendance. The teachers were dedicated to teaching me, and not just concerned about getting through the day. I am thankful my parents were supportive of my decision to attend. Going to Marlborough allowed me to get into the college of my choice, and to feel comfortable in a rigorous collegiate setting once I got there. Girls and parents should expect to get out of Marlborough exactly what they put in. Those who complain about the quality of education should first look to themselves. In my six years, I never had a teacher I did not believe in, even if they were not a particular favorite of mine. I cannot imagine that there is a better school in this country.
—Submitted by a student

Hispanic 5%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAIS
  • NCGS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

250 South Rossmore Avenue