No rating

Baxter Montessori School

Private | K-3 | 10 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $430,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted May 3, 2013

horrible school do not send your children it is more of a daycare than a preschool. A waste of money and time.

Posted June 28, 2012

this fridya is my son's last day at bexter montessori. imam thankful for carmen who only had him 3 days per week, she taught him how to read, write very well and do addition and subtraction, and he is only 4 years old.

Posted March 8, 2012

I am the mother of a now-4th grader who attended Baxter Montessori from ages 2 1/2 to 5. I have had so many conversations with teachers, teachers' aides, after-school aides, camp counselors, etc, who are surprised with the depth and range of my daughter's education much of it rooted in her experience at Baxter Montessori. Like anything, you get what you put into it (and my daughter reveled in the many great experiences available to her), but my daughter left preschool with the ability to tie her shoes (so many kids don't learn this until MUCH later, thanks to Velcro), a basic understanding of her multiplication tables, a voracious love for reading, the uncanny ability to identify a Monet, Van Gogh or Miro on the spot, and a deep rooted understanding of fair play and equitable treatment of others. If I had made a list of all the things I wanted from my daughter's preschool, I could not have conceived of all the things she ended up learning from the remarkable school. Thanks to Shirley, Li, Esther, Carmen and Miss Mary (and Mr. Mori, too!) for giving us the most amazing start!

Posted November 8, 2011

I'm not a current parent, my daughters went to Baxter Montessori a little over 20 years ago. I smile reading the reviews because it doesn't seem like anything has changed from now to then. I know many of the staff is the same, my neighbors I wave as we pass on the street. The parents who complain about the "old school" I know it all atmosphere, let me tell you this. Your children will leave Baxter well prepared for the years that follow. They'll be able to stand on their little feet, confident in their ability to take on whatever is handed to them. Nope, they aren't coddled, but they are well cared for educationally and emotionally. Absolutely right the parents should do the heavy lifting where their children's future is involved, the school should be the support that prepares them to meet it head on. I can't speak for any other than myself, but my girls did well in elementary, high school, college and beyond. I thank the people at Baxter for giving them such a great head start.

Posted July 29, 2011

Today is my daughter's last day at Baxter Montessori and I am writing this review to express my gratitude. My Daughter has attended Baxter for the last four years . I have absolutely no regrets . They have so much experience and respect for children . Our daughter loved going to school, and had nurturing relationships with all of her teachers. I have so much respect for the woman who started and has run Baxter since 1969 . Her dedication to children in inspiring and uncompromising . She has little tolerance for neurotic parents , and honestly I find this to be a breath of fresh air. So thank you Baxter Montessori for providing a safe and stimulating environment where our child could grow. I will feel forever Grateful and I highly recommend Baxter without hesitation.

Posted February 14, 2011

I am thankful to have found Baxter Montessori. My daughter has attended from the age of 2 to her current 5 years. She was reading at writing at 4 without any feeling of being pushed. The director and teachers are solid and compassionate. Any concerns I have had were addressed with understanding and immediate action if needed. I always feel my child is well cared for, safe and being educated at her pace which is an advanced level. Baxter is an oasis in Echo Park.

Posted July 27, 2010

DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE, if you expect patience and nurturing, or even common respect for your child. Believe me, I completely agree with providing children with discipline and even structure, but the culture of this school takes it too far! When I came here for a tour for my then 3 year old son, I made the appointment, went down and met with the director. Seemed like a nice place, direct, organized, traditional which was totally fine with me. I spoke to a parent who said they loved it there. There were a few little things that the director said that I wasn't crazy about namely about how she blamed, "the parents these days make us do all the heavy lifting..." which I thought was a bit hypercritical of US, but hey she was voicing her opinion. Then I said our goodbyes and went outside, we were checking (continues)

Posted September 17, 2009

Never has the term 'old school' seemed so appropriate. Almost everyone teaching there is like over sixty. The advantage is that they know what they're doing. They've watched preschoolers learn and develop longer than most of us have been alive. And they're lifelong teachers, not aspiring writers stuck in a dead end preschool gig. The downside is that they can be a little closed minded and certain that their way is THE way. Also I find the overall vibe to be a little on the cranky grandmother side. However, it's a true Montessori where kids learn well, clearly and completely in preparation for kinder. And the director is truly a kind and loving woman. If you want rainbows and teddy bears, perhaps Baxter is not your place. But if you want reading, writing, math, and play. (and possibly an eerie trip back in time) then Baxter has room for you.

Posted January 9, 2009

This is a very nice pre-school where there are no wait-lists and no drama. My three children have all gone here and have learned good manners, letters, reading basics, and math at their own perfect pace. This is a good community pre-school.

Posted September 8, 2008

I found the teachers to be close minded and restrictive in their teaching methods. My son is now learning much better in an environment that that is more open to his learning style.

Posted August 14, 2008

I adore this school and its teachers. My son is already reading and writing at 4 years, has excellent manners, full confidence and has a great time. What a beautiful location on top of a great education. He will be there again this Fall.

Posted February 15, 2008

I was desperate for a good, true Montessori education for my 2 1/2 yr old son. Unfortunately I am not rich. Baxter is a true Montessori school, with every material the system ever created. The teachers are very experienced, most of them have been at Baxter 20+ years. The kids spend hours a day running around outside. The tuition is reasonable. My only complaint is the place could use some repairs and a repainting. But my son doesn't seem to mind. PS - kids must be potty trained--so get to it!

Posted January 18, 2008

I was so happy to see that parents care enough to rate this extremely wonderful and diverse school. Begininning with the owner , who obviously shares a great deal with the students, and parents, of her incredible knowledge of the world. I love Baxter. It's a great place. Unpretencious and yet so refined. I sent my children and now they are sending their children. That is how long its been around.

Posted November 1, 2007

My daughter has been at Baxter since she was 2 1/2 and is almost 5 now. How they have been able to create a simulating environment for such a wide range of preschoolers seems nothing short of miraculous, but it happens. The classrooms are buzzing with content kids, all learning at their own pace.

Posted September 3, 2007

My daughter started in February, it'now September and she's writing her numbers and name. Every morning she is eager to go to school and see her teachers and start on whatever job she picks.

Posted August 13, 2007

Baxter has been great. My daughter is almost 5 and has attended since she turned 2. Its very reasonable tuition lends itself to a diverse classroon. The teachers really care and have many years of experience.

• Miss Shirley Sjaholm
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • Other Montessori

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2101 Echo Park Avenue