Westside Neighborhood School

Private | PK-8 | 446 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $615,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Sweep tile

Posted February 27, 2014

I'm a student at WNS in the eighth grade, and can not say how much I've grown from the first day of sixth grade, which was my first day. WNS has a great way of making middle school students be leaders, instead of falling under the radar. There are many opportunities for us older kids to become close with the little ones. The Eighth grade have kindergarten buddies and it really teaches me how to cares about little ones, I have a strong and unique bond with my buddy. The teachers are the highlight at WNS. They constantly check in and make sure each student is content and feeling safe and secure. The teachers are always open to review with you or even just shoot the breeze. I can go on and on, but WNS has truly shaped me for a successful future and has given me an identity.

Posted January 27, 2014

WNS is an incredible community in which to raise and educate well-rounded, kind, wholesome, confident, competent, smart, culturally- and socially engaging children and adolescents. I have been a WNS parent for ten years and am extremely proud of the people my children are becoming. I attribute a large part of their growth to their WNS experiences (since beginning in DK) and the devotion, commitment, skill, training, and love that the administrators, teachers, staff, peers, and fellow parents provide each WNS student. I give WNS my highest rating.

Posted December 10, 2013

We can't say enough good things about WNS! Our child is thriving and incredibly happy to go to school everyday. The faculty, staff and programs at WNS are above and beyond anything we have seen in the community around us. Every staff member knows your child's name and is completely approachable, helpful and kind. We have been at WNS for 5 years and we are inspired everyday by the leadership and the learning that exists here. Its not one way of thinking...its "best practices". The idea at WNS is always, "what works best and how can we teach and nurture learners better". We feel very lucky to be part of such a great community of parents and educators that make our children feel safe, loved, protected and free to flourish all at the same time. There just is no better home for our family.

Posted December 10, 2013

WNS has been the best thing for our son. Prior to joining, just 3 months ago, our son did not enjoy school. Now, we have a happy, positive boy, who wants to learn & comes back daily, FULL of his days activities. He cares about his work & genuinely loves the teachers & the other children. The school has this amazing, family atmosphere, that brings out the best in the children. I would highly recommend this school to anyone. My only regret is that we did not send him before 6th Grade & 3 years will not be long enough!

Posted October 28, 2013

We have been at WNS for 9 years and we have 2 children at the school. Overall, WNS has been the best place for our children to grow and thrive in a nurturing and challenging environment. We feel blessed to have the responsive and continously learning leadership, competent faculty and a down to earth community of diverse socioeconomic, cultural and racial families. It is a rare gem of a school. I cannot say enough to express our family's gratitude to the WNS community. Our oldest is now ready for high school and we believe he is well equipped to excel wherever he chooses to attend. I highly recommend this school for anyone interested in a place that is down to earth and reflects a diverse cross section of Los Angeles.

Posted October 8, 2013

I am thrilled with WNS! I can't believe that some parents find the faculty and staff to be unapproachable. Head of School, Brad Zacuto and his team are amazing! I feel like the school perfectly blends traditional values and expectations with progressive developmental and educational techniques. My child is thriving academically, while teachers and faculty pay extra attention to various aspects of social learning. WNS children feel safe, supported and encouraged to be their best selves. I can attest to their zero tolerance for bullying. In fact, I have never EVER seen better implementation for expedient, appropriate responses to behavioral issues within the classroom and during play on the yard. WNS offers a community unlike any other I've experienced and I have a daughter who will be graduating from high school this year, as well as my youngest who has recently entered Kindergarten. As a parent, I am receiving exactly what WNS promises - we have found a superb school for our child, a supportive community for our family- and I couldn't be happier about it! There's no deceptive marketing here- just a hard-working group of awesome folks who really want the best for your child!

Posted September 13, 2013

WNS is one of, if not the most, amazing school in Los Angeles! We have been at the school for over 8 years now and we couldn't be happier. The school is everything it claims to be and more! Our children feel accepted, safe and nurtured all while receiving an excellent and unparalleled education. They both get up each and every morning looking forward to school - not just to see friends, but to see their teachers! Every teacher we have ever had is remarkable. The faculty and staff are always there to support our children and answer any and all questions that we may have as parents. Likewise, the administrative staff is always accessible, approachable and helpful. I can not recommend WNS enough!!

Posted September 5, 2013

We agree with a previous post that WNS is all marketing and the program they are selling to parents is inaccurate. In our experience, most of the problems were based on a lack of leadership. The head and assistant heads of school are not approachable and are disconnected with families and classrooms. In our experience, each year teacher turnover was high and many families left. Behavior is also an issue and we encountered bullying issues that were ignored and not handled by administration. We finally pulled our child out and now our child is thriving at a new school. If you are looking for a school were education is a priority, WNS is not a good match!

Posted May 31, 2013

My 2 kids are in their second year at WNS - my whole family feels this is the perfect school for us. And I say "us" because we have all felt a part of the community from the very first day my kids attended the summer program. I recently volunteered with an admissions tour and it re-affirmed for me that this is a fantastic school and community. I wish that EVERY child could have the opportunity to go to WNS.

Posted May 26, 2013

We started in middle school and couldn't be happier. Great leadership ,great teachers,great electives. My son is in choir, robotics,lacrosse,and mock trial. Great lunch program too.

Posted May 24, 2013

Responsive classroom a program the school adopted two years ago includes a time out chair to discipline children, children are placed in time out from Dk ( so unfair ) they are 4 ! All the way to middle school. A great tool for teachers to keep classrooms under complete control, awful for children, creating social problems with middle schoolers.

Posted May 21, 2013

It is all marketing! Teacher turnover is high, all the art on the wall is beautiful but they are very undecided on being progressive or traditional, learning style is somewhat progressive but their expectations for children's behaviors are unreal, children's have to "take a break " in a chair for the craziest things, raising your hand and saying the answers without being called on! And there is no dialog the teacher does a hand gesture which means go to the chair and a hand gesture when it is time to return to your seat, no dialog no " you were put in the chair because ......" Even with all the breakout rooms my child was not challenged academically! If you are interested in the school ask about the discipline and expectations. The only school that is punitive to children's behavior in the Westside. They might try to convince you, you are the one who sees it as punitive and the children see it as an opportunity to reflect! Not true most feel so embarrassed , it is different to have a time out at home than to have a time out in front of your peers. It creates unnecessary stress on the young ones and they are less likely to take risks, speak their mind , ask for help from authority!

Posted July 19, 2012

We absolutely LOVE WNS! We are going into our 4th year there, as my child began in the DK program. We have been happy from the start, and we love it more and more everyday. WNS has an amazing staff, faculty, head of school and community. The school not only teaches academics, but more importantly instills a love and passion for learning, and good character and morals. The WNS community is diverse in almost every way, except in the fact that everyone there is good/down-to-earth, cares about the children and wants what's best for them. It's a real community, a family, a home. We are so thankful to be part of such a wonderful school. I could go into details about the art program, music program, morning assemblies, performances, speakers, community events, etc., but once you experience all that WNS has to offer, you and your children will love it, too. I highly recommend WNS to anyone looking for an excellent independent school that helps your child be the best they can be in every way.

Posted July 19, 2012

We LOVE WNS, too! Our children started WNS in the DK program, and we found it to be excellent. DK prepared our children for the challenges of kindergarten, and gave them confidence and security. The DK teachers were (and are) the perfect guides to assist the children in this transition -- they were graceful, caring, strong and understanding. We have found this to continue into the upper grades. As a school, WNS provides an education that is the perfect blend of traditional and progressive. Our children are going to a school in a wonderfully diverse community that values good character and morals. We feel so lucky to have found such an amazing school. If you are considering a private independent school, we highly recommend that you look at WNS.

Posted July 14, 2012

Our kid attended this school for DK in the 2011-2012 school year. 6 out of 20 of the DK class left the school at the end of the year. The teachers were mediocre and many parents felt like it did not live up to its reputation.

Posted November 17, 2011

WNS is hand-down the perfect school for us. It's balance of warmth and consistent, positive structure with excellent academics creates an unusaully emvbracing, diverse community. The students truly seem to learn how to care about others and are encouraged to express their unique talents, while mastering the fundamentals. The Director of Performing Arts Department just earned her Ph.D., and the students gave her a spontaneous standing ovation. It was great to see. Also, every morning starts with a school-wide morning assembly, ending in a quiet moment of reflection, really bringing everyone together, DK-8th graders, as they start their day. The Head of School utilizes the latest research on learning and development to inform the curriculum and WNS community.

Posted March 28, 2011

I am the mother of an extremely successful 9th grade student at Vistamar School. When he left our very good, small, elementary school he was not so successful. I am convinced that the vault in his learning ability is directly due to the wonderful education he received at WNS. Those 3 solid years created a true student/scholar in my son. I am extremely thankful to Brad Zacuto, the Faculty and Staff at Westside Neighborhood School.

Posted November 12, 2010

we love the relationship between the middle school kids and the younger kids. Great relationships! Along with our 2 kids, there are not enough words to describe how happy and grateful we feel to be a part of such an amazing extended family. The Head of School, Brad Zacuto, the entire Faculty and Staff, the Parent Group Board, the Board of Trustees, it's clear that everyone works so hard to keep the community growing. Our children are so happy! Thank you WNS!

Posted November 3, 2010

My son recently started in DK and I can not say enough wonderful things about this school. EVERYONE is amazing from the head of the school, to the teachers, to the staff. It truly is a unique community without any pretense. We would highly recommend WNS and feel so fortunate that we found this school.

Posted September 30, 2009

The new head of school is amazing. He has made really positive and wounderfull changes that make our child's education a wounderfull experience. He has only been the head for 1 year, but the changes have been swift and positive. He has now 2 teachers per classroom. The new teachers are great. They now have a bus for field trips and sports program. A new updated theater, music, and spanish program. Very pleased ....

Ethnicity This school
Hispanic 2%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• German

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Brad Zacuto
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Creative writing
  • Dance
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

• Over 90% of parents volunteer their time for the school.