K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted February 04, 2016
It is impossible to pick just one, but if pressed, I would say for my daughter, Dr Hamburger and Mr Pease have made her year amazing! Thank you to both of you encouraging her to stretch her limits, to be a part of festival choir and to help her cultivate a new found passion for Shakespeare! Also want to thank a friend at WNS who has been pivotal to our daughter feeling such a part of the school family. Let's just say that no one is left out here, no social pressure of phones or lack of appropriate attire. Rules are respected and fun is the result.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 04, 2016
Always accessible, involved as teachers as well as many other hats, so kids see them in multiple ways: coaches, mentors, carpool police, they even go away with the entire grade (6-8 each have their own overnight experience! That is BRAVE! :)

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 04, 2016
Very appropriate, no busy work. My daughter is able to do her homework and then enjoy much needed family and "chill" time every night. Also she can attend extra-curricular activities within our community without having to stay up late into the night feverishly working on mindless tasks. Every assignment is appropriate.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
Failure is encouraged, for that is when the best learning takes place. Our kids need to learn this skill. They do not get nearly enough chances today to fail safely. At WNS, you see so much growth through adaptation, change, trying again.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
All you need to do is go on their website and check out some of the links from students that have spoken at parent meetings. WOW you will be impressed. Or even better, come to the school and see if with your own eyes. We did not believe how good it could be until we did!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
Similar to my last response, family groups, mentoring programs, and grade wide week long trips in the middle school years to help students develop tighter relationships, to help them learn to help one other, building a team mentally.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 04, 2016
Social education through advisory groups, where a small number of kids from within a grade level meet regularly to discuss topics current and important to kid at this age. Family groups where the older students are able to mentor younger students. Through the honor code, which students are happy to follow because they are given the tools to be successful without needing to rely on handouts from others.

Westside Neighborhood School 5

Posted February 04, 2016
This year is our first as a part of the WNS community, I have been absoutely blown away! As a mother of three middle school aged children, I can not stress the importance of the social education component of this school. Let's face it, these tween years are really tough to navigate, even for the strongest, most confident of kids. Everything is changing in their worlds: physically and emotionally. At WNS, our 7th grade daughter has found a place where she can feel safe and comfortable growing and changing, testing her new found independence in an environment surrounded by teachers, faculty and administration that cultivate positivity, and encourage new experiences. Failure is not frowned upon at WNS, it is embraced, for that is where these kids learn to adapt, change, try again, and persevere. I taught Middle and High school Math for several years. I taught in both public and private settings. I can confidently say that at WNS the academics are impressive, your child will be challenged appropriately. The sports are available for all students interested in participating. No cut policy allows for everyone to try out new and different sports without fear of embarrassment or ridicule. Mock Trial: one of the top ranked teams in their division, Theater Arts: My daughter is THRIVING in this program, singing and acting in her daily routine! I could go on and on! Bottom line... I am in a word, GRATEFUL. I am grateful for the friends who steered me towards this amazing school last year when we were in desperate need of a change for our daughter, for Brad Zacuto, who is wise and real, honest and fair and has created an environment where the teachers are supported, and kids are just plain happy! And most of all, I am so very grateful for the new friends and families that have embraced us and made us so very happy to be a member of the WNS community! Our two sons are applying for Fall and they are so hopeful to be joining the WNS family too! Take the time to check this place out, you will not be disappointed!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 03, 2015
WNS walks their talk. Everyday, every week! I wish I could of gone to school at WNS when I was my children's age. It is truly a gem of leadership from the Faculty, connectivity and community with the Parents and Students.

Westside Neighborhood School 5

Posted November 03, 2015
WNS is truly the best school in Los Angeles. Please do your research and read the reviews. My husband and I hired a professional to help us find a wonderful school for our children. It was the best decision we have ever made. My children LOVE their school. The head of the school, and his administration truly understand what it means to educate children. The environment is safe and the children love to learn at WNS. The academic program is very strong, and my children are actually learning, not memorizing. The key to education is making the children think for themselves, in a safe environment. Anyone can memorize and take a test, but can your children think and make decisions on their own? It is a progressive school, but extremely organized and structured. My son who is 13, says it is like being at camp every day. It is very academic but fun! He tells me on the weekends he wishes he was in school. My daughter who is 9, says she is learning so much and loves her school. They just make learning fun! Education is changing and WNS realizes they have to change with the times. The community is the most loving and nurturing community ever. We have never been so welcomed, and met so many really nice families. The community involvement is just amazing. The moment we walked in the door, the community made us feel like we were family. You always have a great team, when your head of school is outstanding. WNS has an outstanding head of school and administration. The children matriculate to your finest schools in Los Angeles, and do extremely well. We are blessed to be a part of WNS!

5401 Beethoven Street, Los Angeles, CA  90066
Last modified Westside Neighborhood School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Westside Neighborhood School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 130 reviews. Top