Los Angeles, CA

Posted May 23, 2015
There are a number of reasons why this school is terrible and it would be impossible to name them all in this review. For starters though, the administration is awful and treats the parents like enemies. There is not an open door policy and in fact you can only speak to them if you make an appointment with the receptionist. Appointments are often scheduled weeks away. I have never felt more unwelcome and many parents feel this way. The school is too small. 1 class per grade and in the upper grades (2-5) many classes are under 10 kids. This is because parents become unhappy when more is expected from the school and the school fails to listen and the attendance ever year drops. Many teachers are not accredited. Many of the teachers were given their first teaching job at Egremont (in the upper grades!) and have no experience and no mentoring. This school is strict in the wrong areas. A child will get written up for a single tiny color band on their socks (which are supposed to be solid white) while bullying and fighting happens (especially in 4th and 5th grade) and kids go unpunished and parents left uninformed. This year we had to pay $25 per person to attend the holiday pageant. You can imagine how expensive that can be with an extended family. The music program is pretty awful. These kids are not learning anything in music which is very apparent in the pageants. And such an important subject as computers and technology... that is subject is handled like a joke at Egremont. Spanish - the kids that have been there for 4-6 years with Spanish every year since Kindergarten, can't speak a word outside of the classroom. The curriculum is outdated which is mentioned through out these reviews. After touring other schools we now feel as though our children need tutoring to catch up. Many of the 5th graders moving on to middle school struggled with their entrance exams and many of the kids who had moved on to Chaminade have struggled their first years to catch up. All of these add up to a poorly run school. We are removing our kids and are looking forward to starting at a new school next year.

Posted February 23, 2015
There is a very good reason why I returned to Egremont School. I used to teach music for this institution years ago, but this past school year, I have decided to come back. When I was here before, there were some administrative problems, but at least the instructors and the environment were very good. When I returned last September, I only did so because the then Kindergarten and the 5th grade teachers were now the co-principals. And rightfully so, for of all the teachers, they were two of the stand-outs, not to mention a very giving, kind, honest human beings. So I saw that the school was now in good hands. As I started my classes, I realized that the school conditions and the faculty members exceeded my expectations. Every faculty member help make this a better place for the students and the parents, and most importantly, a happy place to be in. From what I remembered from before, this institution has improved a 1000% from when I was here then. This time around, I have seen nothing but great improvements, and most importantly, a joyous, harmonious environment.

Posted February 14, 2015
The school administration gives the perception (and illusion) that its academic level is very high but this is not the case. It is money driven and they do not want parent involvement. Only when they want fundraising money do they involve the parents. The school needs to implement better tools to facilitate the communications between the administration and the parents. My children are rarely being challenged and are asked to do these expensive massive projects, but can t do it without a lot of help. I end up doing 99.9% of the project. These projects are only shown at open house to make the school look good. Once it is over, they just send the projects right back home. Nightly homework takes 2 to 3 hours so there is zero family time. Other parents I have recently spoke with feel the same way that the problems are from the administration that do not know what they are doing. My husband and I started touring other schools again and we know we are making the best decision for our children by pulling them out. Yes, it takes effort and time, but it is worth it when you see what other kids are doing in coresubjects.

Egremont Schools, Inc. 2

Posted January 31, 2015
My children have been attending this school since EK. Not until now have I had concerns, so I have began to look at other options. After visiting other schools, my children have a lot of catching up to do which scares me. Yes, there are some teachers that are passionate and care about their student's future, but they are in the lower grades under a principal who is caring, approachable, and is great at addressing all parent concerns. After what I have personally seen at the schools more recent open house and heard from other parents, it is clear that the students are not being challenged and have difficultly completing thier homework assignments. Also, I have noticed in the recent years, an extremely high teacher turnover and a lot of the teachers are uncredentialled. It is very difficult to make the decision to take your child out of a school they love and have friends at, but as a parent, I know it is my responsiblity to make sure they go somewhere they will learn the stuff the need for their future. I know no place is perfect (like some of the other comments have stated). Hopefully the adinistration will fix these problems otherwise we will be going to a new school next year.

Posted August 21, 2014
This summer was our child's first schooling experience at Egremont School. Egremont was highly recommended to us by a family whose children already attend the school. They have done an incredible job of providing fun activities and even doing academics during the summer camp. We had opportunity to attend their Open Houses last year and were very impressed by the caliber of work the students were able to do. Everyone was so welcoming, including the Administration and parents. We look forward to seeing our child's continued growth throughout the school year.

Posted June 23, 2014
Egremont is a fantastic school! Each day, my child is challenged to go beyond grade level and the teachers do an amazing job to encourage him to do his very best. We love that they offer classes in technology, P.E., foreign language, and the arts. When I read the negative reviews, I see that they come from a place of wanting to hurt this school, probably because those writing the negative reviews didn't get their way. Beware of those who write such nasty things. I know who some of these people are and trust me when I say I am glad I am not friends with them. Egremont is much stronger without these negative parents. Tour the school, ask whatever questions you have... and you will see that Egremont is a WONDERFUL school!

Posted June 17, 2014
Terrible school! Bad experience.... Beware of what seems amazing on the surface. My child was treated terribly and then we were after I felt the need to remove my child. Your child's social and educational needs will be better served somewhere else!
3 people found this helpful

Posted April 02, 2014
ALL the kids who had left Egremont and enrolled in LAUSD schools have struggled to adjust due to Egremont's outdated and non-challenging curriculum. I'm talking about kids who had scored in the 90s in Sanford tests, not the average student. Assessment tests given in LAUSD are far more challenging! Egremont quality of education: Writing skills-zero, critical thinking in math and problem solving-zero, science-double zeros, social studies-sub zero. I'm not going to discuss all the social issues because Egremont's reputation in this aspect is beyond awful. Don't make the mistake we made with our child. Enroll your kids in LAUSD and you will immediately find out you have made a good decision. Education is the most important gift you can give your child, and a solid elementary foundation is essential for success in middle and high school. Egremont will not give your child this solid foundation, I promise you. Check out LAUSD's curriculum and you'll know what I'm talking about. otherwise, look into other private schools. Brand name doesn't always mean good quality! Good luck to you and to your children!

Posted March 24, 2014
My family and I absolutely LOVE this school! We know our child is getting the best possible education. Egremont offers more than any other school around. It has great academics and includes music, art, drama, computers, Spanish, and P.E. The school invites parents to participate in many fantastic events on the campus. I have met wonderful families at this school. The teachers are very nice and are teaching the students advanced work. The administration is amazing. They work hard to bring the best to the kids at this school and they are always welcoming. They truly care about all of the students and do not allow bullying to take place. The campus is gorgeous and well maintained. I think it is sad that certain parents chose to voice their negative opinions to try to hurt the school. They probably didn't get their way so they are mad. This school will be around for a long time. It is truly a great place for my child to experience the joys of an elementary school experience. There is no "perfect" school. There is always room for improvement anywhere you go. But Egremont is a great place to be and we are proud to be a part of this school!

Posted January 06, 2014
I am surprised this school is still around !! The school education has gone down drastically below standard as compared to other local schools. Teacher quality is just ok and grades are based on favoritism for sure and does not reflect the child's real potential. The 5th grade have only 6 students since everyone else has left. Sadly, bullying goes around without a solution and the principal can not do (or won't) anything about it. Very sad ending for a school that was great till 2010. On other note it remains number 1 for parents social club activities. I advise parents to go elsewhere for the sake of their beloved ones education.

Egremont Schools, Inc.