No rating

Toluca Crossroads School

Private | K-1 | 20 students

We are best known for accelerated reading program.

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $348,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,320.

Posted April 29, 2014

My daughter loves going to school everyday. She is learning all sorts of things, from letters, numbers, body parts, insects you name it, and she's only 2 yrs. The teachers are super helpful, friendly, caring and loving. There's a nice, spacious play area outback, with plenty of shade etc. They have a great summer program too with lots of fun activites for the children. This school is deffinetly all about the kids for sure. I love this school! This is worth checking out!

Posted February 11, 2014

Well it was to my surprise to observe how this school has come down in quality in over all. my child attended there and with the changes and lack of communication they have been having several issues. The change in the 3yr old class by someone that just does not look very professional as if a parent cannot tell by the appearance of the teacher. The director seems to be lost in how she handles certain situations.The teacher don t appear to be enjoying their work.and the environment is not the warm and nurturing as two years ago. They are filling the classrooms with more kids and the quality of the school has devalued. Parents there are many other schools that offer a quality education. Don t be fooled just by the changes they are doing to the appearance of the school. It certainly is not the school we use to know.

Posted January 5, 2014

We spent a lot of time researching online, asking other parents and physically visiting many pre-schools before deciding on Toluca Crossroads. What drew us there was the friendliness of the staff and the homey feeling of the facility and the exceptional reading program for Pre K students. We also liked the security offered. They just put in a new security gate and have done a lot of remodeling to make a safer environment for a little ones. After being on the waiting list about 6 months (without a deposit in advance, as many schools require) my son started part time just before his third birthday and loves it. The staff is friendly, helpful, caring and nurturing for to both the children and parents. He loves his teacher, Ms. Leo and looks forward to coming to school (asking when the next day is, since he only goes twice a week). He brings home lots of art and worksheets, so I know he's learning! He also sings songs that he's been learning at school and teaches them to me! I always feel welcome there, never in the way if I want to hang around a few minutes to push my son on the tire swing (his favorite thing for me to do before leaving). All in all, we made a good choice!

Posted October 18, 2013

At Toluca, parents and other teachers are constantly in-and-out, the walls all have large windows, so there's a lot of checks and balances. Our baby has been at Toluca Crossroads since she was barely 3 months old. In the baby room, they have an amazing nurturing woman Maria, who is a dream come true for any mom who has to go through leaving her tiny baby. Maria never never leaves a baby crying or unattended. She speaks mostly spanish, so if I had any issue I would communicate by bringing her a written letter. When it comes to your child, the language barrier is easier to navigate because she is so expressive. In the toddler room, at ANY school there can be occasional issues with kids biting, hitting or pushing, and we've been on both sides of that with our girl. The school handled it very well and always kept us informed. The toddler teachers, Laura and Shirley, are firm without being too harsh. While the school isn't cheap by any means, it was the most reasonably priced in its caliber. Trust me, I looked. : ) The school got new owners while we were there, and they put in security features and cameras, and a heavy metal outer door with an entry code.

Posted October 16, 2013

This school is AMAZING! Both my sons went there, my oldest was there for 3 years. First off, Lynn the kindergarden teacher is someone I trust to be around my children. She has been teaching for a long time and you can tell she loves what she is doing. She is great with the kids. She is caring and loving, fair, and smart. She reads with the kids one on one. My youngest son is 6 years old and is reading at 4th grade level. He loves to read! They have playtime in a nice yard and have a purified water fountain inside the school. The new owners and seem to be doing a great job. Norma, Shirley and Trinae (sp) are wonderful as well. The only thing I don't like about the school is they aren't doing the older grades or we would still be there. Overall I give this school an A+. It is a good place to have your children start good habits with their learning and school work. The kindergarden room has a nice fish tank, a science center, a writing center, and many many toys! It is tough to find a place that has everything you would want for your little ones. Glad we were able to! Keep up the good work! Love you guys :)

Posted September 29, 2013

Child care for newborns is an extremely difficult decision. My husband and I feel so blessed to have found such a caring "second" home for our baby boy. He has attended Crossroads since he was 4 months old. The staff is terrific and everyone really loves the children. Thank you Crossroads.

Posted July 18, 2013

I have two children attending Crossroads. The teachers in the kindergarten room are amazing. The kids always have wonderful learning activities, computers in the classroom and the reading program is AWESOME!!! My daughter was reading at 4 years old. The only drawback is the school stops at 1st grade now. I wish we could keep our kids there for all of elementary. The pre-K or (3/4 year old) room is wonderful. This room focuses on learning through actual play. This has been great for my son. He enjoys learning about plants and seeds by planting a garden. The only other drawback is the school is a little pricey with tuition, registration fees, supply fees and summer camp fees but for working parents they are open ALL the time and that's great. I would highly recommend the school.

Posted July 17, 2013

We were transitioning our school from private daycare into kindergarten and made the choice to go private here. Early in the year, there was a transition in ownership - where Mimi, the beloved "Principal" retired - and the school was bought out by a group that owns two other schools in the Valley. I am happy to report that it was a smooth transition. There has been no change in staff or teaching methods. Miss Lynn is a wonder - and her UK "Ladybird" reading system got amazing results with our oldest. Watching him sneak off and pick up books at home is so rewarding. Lynn's second-in-command, Miss Norma is awesome as well - with a great energy and rapport with the kids. While I have had little contact with Miss Trenee, Miss Laura or the other instructors - I can see from the other parents faces that they are beloved too. Miss Irina the new administrator is clearly well-liked and admired - and I always see her spending hands-on time with the kids. Great choice if you're not yet ready to go public.

Posted July 11, 2013

This school really is a place that feels happy, warm and nurturing! Staff works very well together and shows a sincere fondness for all of the children. There is open and honest communication between the staff/parents too, critical, as both parties work to support the lessons, fundamentals and work that goes into building your child's confidence up for the years ahead. Uniforms are required, except on casual Fridays. Always an abundant amount of work on display and the curriculum is clearly outlined from month to month. The reading program is excellent and has inspired a love for and curiosity in our child to read more and more. Tech-wise, only a few computers and iPads in the class, but the class size is small enough to allow for the children to access these devices equally throughout the day. The school also has access to other programs (chess, mygym, dance, reptiles) by 3rd parties that complement classroom activities. Great playground with plenty of shade and space to run. The school was acquired by a new group in Q1 of 2013, and so far they've made minor but much needed upgrades to the facility to improve safety. Only downside is that the school goes through 1st Grade only.

Posted February 11, 2013

Finally, "Mimi" had to retire from the Toluca 'Crossroads' to catch up on about 40 years of sleep deprivation. (Hillary Clinton only made it to 20 years.) With much thanks to all & the 'bestes' of wishes to my staff, all the children and their families, as well as the new management - I am sending you, with every mixed emotion possible, a heartfelt good-bye. I shall be cautious not to tire myself too much as there is a good chance a la (Lawrence Sterne) "Men tire themselves in pursuit of rest." Miss you! Sincerely, Mimi. And so it is.

Posted October 16, 2012

Our son has been going to Crossroads since he was 10 months old. There are two lovely women in the older baby room who take great care of him. He's 18 months old now, and when he walks into the school he runs right to his room. I love the comfortable, secure feeling of the place. Very happy here!

Posted August 18, 2012

Toluca Crossroads is my daughter's favorite place. She loves her teachers, and all her friends. It is a community school; a place that feels happy and warm. I know my daughter is cared for and nurtured while I am working.

Posted August 10, 2012

Our 8-year old daughter attended Crossroads from the age of 1-5yrs. and loved it. She never wanted to leave at the end of each day! Now our 1-year old is attending and she is happy and thriving! We have been very impressed with every caregiver/teacher in every level of our children's time spent here. The entire staff is caring, welcoming and nurturing.

Posted August 10, 2012

Extremely loving staff that have made our daughter excited to go to school each day. Every person on staff knows my daughter's name and greets her with enthusiasm each morning. A wonderful, intimate school at an amazing price.

Posted August 1, 2012

Our son started going there when he was about a year old. We cannot say enough good things about the school and the staff at Toluca Crossroads. There is a low teacher-student ratio so each child gets the love and attention they need. The day is regimented which makes things at home in the evenings and weekends predictable. All of the older children have nice manners and always look happy to be there. All in all, I would recommend this school without any hesitation. We are so fortunate to have found Toluca Crossroads and look forward to our son continuing at this great school.

Posted October 30, 2011

Our son started at Toluca Crossroads in kindergarten and is now about to graduate to middle school. We had no idea what a great move we made back when we first toured the school, but we are very clear about it now! Toluca Crossroads has been a fantastic experience for us and has provided a uniquely intimate and nurturing academic environment for our son that has allowed him to really thrive. WIth less than 75 students (including the Pre-K kids), the student-teacher ratio is so low that it is almost like having private tutors as opposed to teachers. Parents also have very good access to the teachers and principal. And above and beyond the academics (which are very good), the staff and teachers really foster a strong sense of good citizenship among the students. On the whole, the kids are polite, friendly, motivated and well-behaved. It's really a special place.

Posted June 27, 2011

This school is terrific. My daughter has been here for 3 years now, and has always felt happy, safe and loved. She is now finishing the outstanding Kindergarten class and is reading and writing and understanding math. What I love is they find time for the kids to still be kids too. My son will be going there soon, and it's nice to not have to worry about where your kids are while at work.

Posted June 22, 2011

This has been the very best choice we could have made for our twins. Everyone at the school is amazing! Every day we see progress...Each drawing is sent home for us to see and save. Every morning our twins can't get into the place quick enough (they love it) Teachers, administration and the other kids are all wonderful!

Posted June 22, 2011

My daughters attend, and have loved every minute of it. In the morning they can't wait until it is time to leave for school, and once we've arrived they can t wait for me to leave. Every one on the staff is fully committed to the lives of the students, and the fact that they truly enjoy what they do is evident in the personalities of the children (our daughters run up to hug the teachers in the morning when they arrive). We have been thrilled to see the effect the school has had on them. Their verbal and motor skills have improved significantly, as have their communication skills, and the daily interaction with the teachers and other students has helped with their social development as well. Toluca Crossroads has more than surpassed all our expectations.

Posted June 20, 2011

My son has attended this school since the age of 4 he is now 6 years old. The school is inimate and the children get lots of individual time with the teachers. The excellerated reading program is unbelievable. My son was reading at the age of 4. He loves his teacher and they are very firm and loving with the children. He loves his teachers. Any problems that I have had with my son at the school have been worked out together with the school. They always include me with any challenges they have with him. His two years at this school have been AWESOME!!!!

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • German

Health & athletics

School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Ms. Regina Leybovich
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Affiliation