Rainbow of Knowledge

Private | PK-6 | 25 students

We offer a home school environment in a private school setting.

Living in Los Gatos

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $875,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,740.

Sweep tile

Posted March 16, 2014

My grandson has attended Rainbow of Knowledge in Los Gatos for two years. I am so impressed with the quality of the program and the attention given to the needs of each student. As a former teacher and administrator, I appreciate the curriculum and enrichment activities provided by these dedicated teachers. My grandson has grown academically and enjoys the field trips, Spanish and sign language in his curriculum. Each child is respected and allowed to develop their own personality while being expected to live up to the high ideals of the school. Not only is the curriculum enriching but the students are guided to become excellent and caring individuals through an emphasis on character development. The teachers at this school truly care about individual students and are dedicated to excellence. MH - happy grandmother

Posted February 13, 2014

Our two boys attended this school and left last year. They are thriving in a public school. Both share their past experiences. One has told his parents and his doctor that he is getting help when needed and has a teacher who stays in the room and doesn't just give worksheets. His work is aligned with the new common core standards: reading above level, doing multiplication and experiencing the writing process. He has learned cursive quickly.He is known for his interest in science. He says he is not teased or blamed for things. When he is wrong he is not interrogated. His brother cites instances when the wrong child was punished. This stems from tale telling not teacher observation. This has been a year of undoing negatives. It is unfortunate that our experiences are not portrayed. When we left, our student's information was shared with others.. This school looks good because the on-site events and field trips mask the lack of good educational practices.The emphasis is on rote learning and completion of worksheets. Not an exceptional school. Submitted by an educator

Posted October 28, 2013

Rainbow of Knowledge School is an EXCEPTIONAL SCHOOL! After visiting several local area elementary schools, we could not help but be impressed with all that Rainbow of Knowledge has to offer. From an extensive academic curriculum exceeding state standards to fun-filled extra-curricular activities and community service events, the school provides an exciting and enriching environment that nurtures and builds the abilities of each student. With the low student to teacher ratio (less than 10 per educator), students receive individualized attention to help them master skills and build confidence in all aspects of their academic and personal development. The highly experienced, dedicated, and caring teaching staff works closely with the students and their families to develop a specialized program to ensure continued progress and advancement. Since attending Rainbow, our son has achieved remarkable growth not only academically but also in his self confidence, respect for others and the environment, and his passion for learning. We love Rainbow and would absolutely recommend it to all families seeking to provide a rich, fulfilling, & supportive educational environment for their child.

Posted October 22, 2013

My son has attended Rainbow of Knowledge for 3 years. This is the only school that he has really loved. Ms. Debbie is an Amazing teacher who is very patient and works with my son. The entire staff is dedicated to helping the children learn and have a good learning experience. The school has extended hours and a fantastic summer program. If you are seeking a different environment for your child I encourage you to check out Rainbow of knowledge.. Submitted by a parent

Posted October 22, 2013

We love Rainbow of knowledge! Our son loves this school too. It is amazing to hear our little one tells us what happens at his new school everyday. All the teachers in the school have been there forever, and have built a big family for the kids. They have a really good system for parents to participate in the school. We really look forward to our son's future here.

Posted October 21, 2013

Our child is very happy and thriving at Rainbow of Knowledge. The teachers genuinely care for the children and help them to succeed. The student to teacher ratio is great as well as the tailored specific learning. We love it here!

Posted October 21, 2013

We are very happy with Rainbow for the level of parent involvement, teacher to student ratio and the standard of education.

Posted October 21, 2013

We were very lucky to discover the Rainbow of Knowledge. When we just moved to Los Gatos, we were told it has amazing public schools. But when my son started going to a local public school, he wasn't taught anything new, and he seemed to be negatively effected emotionally. I looked at all private schools in the area to get him out of this public school. The Rainbow of Knowledge really stood out. It feels like home. It has an incredible student to teacher ratio, and they told me that they would tailor the curriculum to my child's needs! When we came in for a trial day with my son, he loved it right away! Since then, he has been learning at a good pace, and is back to liking school and being happy. Also, when taking into account the price of the after school program at public schools, this private schools costs almost the same as the public one for small children... Pretty amazing :-) Check out this school. You'll be glad you did.

Posted October 21, 2013

Rainbow of knowledge has been great for our son. We love the small student to teacher ratio. The entire staff is great! Our son is in pre k and we look forward to him attending this school throughout his elementary years.

Posted October 18, 2013

My two sons currently attend Rainbow of Knowledge. I absolutely LOVE this School!. Ms. Jenny (Pre-K, K) is kind, compassionate and caring toward her students. I could also say that for the entire staff as well. My boys will truly benefit from the small class size and individualized attention they receive in class. Both boys are excited every morning to go to school--That really says a lot about their teacher Ms. Jenny! I asked my 5 year old if he liked his teacher and his response was, "I LOVE MS. JENNY!...I can't wait to go to school to get my papers graded!" Again---I absolutely love Rainbow of Knowledge. I encourage parents looking for a small private school to consider Rainbow!

Posted October 2, 2013

My son currently attends Rainbow of Knowledge and I am so thrilled to have found a school that he actually looks forward to getting up and going to each day. The teachers are very supportive to helping my child meet his particular needs. The small class sizes allow him to be successful and get the extra help he needs. I also like how they balance "text book learning" with hands-on/real life learning. The fact that they go on field trips every month is exciting for him and allows me to enjoy time with the community of his school. The parents are very welcoming and supportive, and I love that they provide the opportunity for us all to get together for off campus events like Chef's Night Out. I would highly recommend Rainbow of Knowledge Elementary School!

Posted September 18, 2013

My son has attended Rainbow of Knowledge for over a year and our family is extremely happy with our decision to move him here! Before, he attended a private school which we love but realized the large classroom sizes and structured, traditional teaching methods were not suitable to his ability to learn and thrive. We chose Rainbow School because of the small classrooms, home-like setting, and the flexible, individualized educational program. My son has thrived in this environment and loves everything about going to school - the teachers, the friends, the community of student families! We are so very pleased with the teachers who have many, many years of experience in teaching. They encourage development of the WHOLE child through so many added activities and enriching experiences you cannot find in a traditional school environment. Special on-site visitors, enlightening field trips, community service, humanitarian activities, charitable donations, and care for the environment and the earth are just a few examples of the many enriching experiences at this school. This school, it's teachers, it's student and their families are an incredible community we are proud to be part of.

Posted September 14, 2013

I would not recommend this school. The instruction consists of many worksheets. This leads to frustration and a negative attitude toward education. My child came home from 1st and 2nd grade very angry and unhappy. He would report that he had asked for help and did not get it. This is not the kind of education I want for him.

Posted September 13, 2013

I am the Kindergarten teacher at Rainbow of Knowledge. I have worked for the Owner/Director for over 30 years. She offers a wonderful example to all the staff, parents and children of how a school should be. Her integrity, honesty and caring are something every person should strive for in their career. The students in her class are so well prepared academically and socially. They love her! The 3rd grade teacher appreciates how they take pride in their work, behave well and have a great work ethic. I am so proud to work at a school like Rainbow of Knowledge!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 28, 2013

I wrote a review on this school back in April, a few months after our son started attending Rainbow of Knowledge. I just want to reiterate what I wrote back then, now that the summer camp is almost over. Great school all in all with excellent teachers that have the right balance of discipline, fun, sense of wonder, and love of children and teaching. Highly recommended!

Posted August 20, 2013

A couple of months into the school year, shortly after moving to the area, we transferred our children to Rainbow of Knowledge, as our boys were utterly miserable at the (very highly rated) public school they were attending. Attending Rainbow feels like finding shelter in the storm: teachers have the amazing and rare combination of having decades of experience behind them, without losing their love for children or their passion for their work. They are also super available for parents to share concerns, ideas, feelings etc. Rainbow has become a second home to my children, and there are no words to describe my feelings as a parent, knowing that my children feel safe, seen appreciated and cared for. I highly recommend the school to any family that is in search of a similar experience to mine.

Posted August 15, 2013

My son has been attending Rainbow of Knowledge for over two years now. He loves this school and his growth here has been so much better than the public school he attended. The teachers are very caring of the students. They definitely know my son well and works with us to provide him the best possible education. We have not found any other school (public, private) that has shown this kind of dedication and care. In addition, this school does not allow any kind of bullying! And they enforce it!

Posted June 5, 2011

My son started in March 2011 and loves attending Rainbow Of Knowledge School. The teachers have over 10 years plus experience, teach from their hearts and are caring and nuturing. Low teacher to student ratio, well behaved students, zero tolerance for bullying, quality field trips, clean classrooms, etc I wish they go beyond 6th grade. My child has made tremendous progress socially and academically since March compared to public school. Thank you ROK School. A happy parent.

Posted May 15, 2011

My son has been going to Rainbow of Knowledge in the Kindergarten classroom since November. Ms. Jenny is an extraordinary teacher. Her ability to teach and understand each kid's behavior and talent is phenomenal. My son has shown tremendous amount of improvement in academics and behavior. The small classroom and the school's motto and principle make this an outstanding choice for any kids.

Posted May 15, 2011

Rainbow of Knowledge has been the best expereince for my son who has attended for the last 2 years. The school has a small teacher to student ration and teaches a strong sense of community. Rainbow balances a strong academic program with hands on science, cooking and art. the field trips and special presentations are all well liked by the students. My son has matured academically and socially at this school and absolutely loves school. T.K (happy parent)

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Lynne Lewin
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (408) 356-6559

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Independent Study
  • Multi-aged
  • Teacher-run
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered

Performing arts
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

9 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2013-2014 school year
$9000 - $11000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Old Orchard