K-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My son has been going to Stratford LG since 2014. He went to Stratford Winchester from 2012-2014. We love the way Stratford builds the foundation for learning. Besides learning the basics, they study coding, music, sports, Spanish and they have a fantastic STEAM program. Every Friday they have STEAM. My son is at the end of his second grade year. He is learning pre algebra, can tell you all about the different Greek gods, the anatomy of a plant, how to spell hypothesis and how to code. The curriculum used is Saxon Math and Shurley English. You can get an idea by reading "What My Second Grader Should Know". He loves learning. My son has challenges with controlling his energy and his teacher's out of the box thinking has helped him a ton. As a parent, I am able to volunteer as much as I want. The parent committee has a lot of say, when it comes to the events. The teachers share pictures on the online class bulletin, so you can see what they are doing. I love the teachers here! I think there maybe a little disorganization with management, but they don't show it. The principal and assistant are great with the kids. The after school clubs are amazing! The clubs range from golf, dance, drama, chess, soccer, basketball, etc. The school grounds are pretty. You can see the Los Gatos Hills. Overall, I am VERY happy with this school. The cost is higher, but worth it. I wish they had Financial Aid.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

LOVE THE TEACHERS!!! They show the kids that they are loved. Most tutor students that need help. They go above and beyond for their students.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework takes about 45 min- 1 hour, depending on the mood of my child. I find that the habit of HW makes a difference. The homework and projects are given with advance notice, so you have enough time to complete the work. There is also a pattern to the HW, so you know what is expected during the week.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They teach students to take responsibility for their actions and learn from their mistakes without having to shame them. They are given second chances and encouraged to problem solve solutions. They are guided during this process.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

There are a lot of very dedicated teachers, but turnover is VERY high and support from management is non-existent.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Teachers are not allowed to hold children accountable. No matter what happens, no negative consequences because it might keep a parent from paying next years tuition.

Stratford is a terrible school system. Focus is far more on growing and making money than on serving children. -No selectivity: If you can pay, your child is in. Doesn't matter how much of a problem the child is or how disruptive they are to the rest of the class. They are a revenue source, so they stay. I have observed students who are terribly disruptive, but management will not do anything no matter what other parents say. At most, they tell the teacher to just "handle it" and tell parents whatever they need to hear to be quiet and sign up for another year. I noticed a lot of children of foreigners at the school. I think we immigrants (especially from South Asia and the middle east) have the perception that a private school must be better. Stratford just isn't. They know how to say the right words to make us feel good, but the results are not great. For example, if you ask about a standardized test or program, Stratford leadership will say they have it - whether they do or not. They will even show you a letter to teachers saying they have to do the program. I compared notes with another parent about promised programs - I was told they had certain programs i had inquired about. He was told they had programs he had inquired about. Stratford can't be doing both programs - they are alternatives to each other. Turned out Stratford actually did neither program - they just promised it and told the teacher to say they were doing it. I also had a talk with the teacher about all of the activities/classes management had said my child would attend. I couldn't figure out how she could squeeze in all of those things into the school day. I finally asked the teacher show me her weekly plan. It was packed full (and I am impressed she could do so much), but there simply weren't enough hours in a week to do all the programs that were committed. She finally admitted she just tried to do the best she could and had to let a lot slide (unless someone was asking about it specifically). I really felt sorry for the teacher. Management had set her up so there was no way to win. I think the underlying problem is Stratford's key focus is on growth. They add campuses far faster than they can manage. As soon as they get more kids signed up, they open a new school. It is all about making money from foreigners.

We love this school! The teachers are wonderful and totally care for the children. The principals and office assistants are so helpful, warm and caring.

My son has been with Stratford Los Gatos campus for almost two years, and right now he is at pre-k with Ms. Rita and Ms. Regina. He was very shy and did not speak English very well in the beginning, so he often begged me to stay with him in the morning intially. However, very soon he started making friends with quite a few boys, and he also started talking about his school everyday. Every morning, he can't wait to go to school and every night, he wants to stay until the closing time. As our beloved son, we think he is very smart and learns very fast, but It is also because the teachers at Stratford are so caring, nurturing and hard working. My son is extremely lucky to have Ms. Rita and Ms. Regina, who treat every student like their own child. They always have ways to encourage my son making friends with other kids, guiding him to be a part of their pre-k family, teaching him the right manner, and even making sure he finish all of his lunch. It is such a great relief everyday when I can drop off my kid at Stratford knowing he is in right hand and pick him up with a lot of crafts and wonderful stories.

My child attended Preschool at the Los Gatos campus and this year as a 1/2 day kindergartner at the San Jose/Winchester campus. We've been so pleased with the schools and teachers. Ms Beezie and Ms Lina were amazing and Ms Brugstrom and Ms Preston/Parker have been amazing. The kids learn so much and have so much fun while learning. It's amazing how they learn Spanish, music, art, PE, of course reading, writing and math so young. My favorite has been public speaking (recitation) each week they stand in front of their class and recite a reading. It's amazing.

Last modified Stratford School is a Private school that serves grades K-5