Posted October 17, 2013
Not a good school for a kid that doesn't fit inside a box or has disadvantes of any kind. If you ask for anything, or make waves of any sort, you will be viewed as uncooperative and controlling. Don't expect the staff to own up to mistakes or take responsibilty for their actions. Instead, expect to be blamed for advocating for you kid. If your kids attend this school, talk to them, listen to them, and believe them. Don't blame them if they are struggling. They are struggling for a reason, help them figure out why. It's the best thing parents can do for their kids. Don't think the school will, they will let your kid slip through the cracks and let future schools deal with the mess. The kids are the only ones that suffer.

Posted September 23, 2013
Rolling Hills has had a much deserved reputation for excellence for a number of years. Last year the principal who had shepherded the school through growth I in population and diversity retired. Her replacement suffered some negative press, as anyone would trying to fill huge shoes. But she has shown herself to be an excellent fit. She knows the needs of her students, has added several activities, and has lead the school to even more growth. The population, waiting lists, and scores all continue to rise. It is a great school.

Posted May 13, 2013
If you have any choice- don't let your children go to Rolling Hills Middle School. It is a horrible school. The teachers are indifferent and assign huge quantities of homework so that your child will be working for hours every evening and weekend. There is no oversight or consistency between teachers, so some give almost no homework while others assign so much homework they make enthusiastic kids learn to hate school (as mine do now). And don't bother to approach the principal- she doesn't return parents emails or phone calls. Do whatever you can, but don't send your kids to Rolling Hills.

Posted April 29, 2013
We have had a very positive experience with Rolling Hills. We moved to San Jose from Cupertino and my son started at Rolling Hills as a 6th grader Fall of 2012. He had a 4.0, then a 3.85 (one B+), has friends, loves the teachers and is even doing track and field. We had a bully incident - the vice principal and the teachers dealt with it very well. My son also had an asthma attack and needed assistance. The teachers and the principal talked to him, reassured him, etc. and he is doing fine now with his inhaler. They acted above and beyond as far as I am concerned. Even with these 2 small issues, my son is still getting A's and thriving in this school. I think Rolling Hills is a great environment for him and less pressure/more balance than I felt in the Cupertino School District. I also liked the honor roll assemblies and was very happy to see how many 6th graders received certificates and recognition. Friends whose kids attend our Cupertino counterpart, Lawson Middle school, said they did not do any assemblies for honor roll. I hope that these kids continue on to Westmont High - that school ranking has me concerned.

Posted March 19, 2013
Rolling Hills principal and PTA priorities appear to be dances and sports which is great but it would be nice to have a school and parent group more focused on better academics, for example, more in line with what Cupertino schools are doing. The 6th grade advanced math students are being taught math by a computer instead of a teacher. In at least one of the 6th grade science classes, the teacher mostly teaches through a computer program. He gives the kids a work sheet and says, "Go off and learn on your own." This is what I hear from my child. It's a great place for a child who is headed for a community college or who wants to be a professional dancer. Academics could use a bit of a boost. The principal's weakness, despite what she says, is guiding teachers in instructing children in math.

Posted March 04, 2013
Don't be deceived by the 9 rating. That is the rating EARNED by the past administration. The current Principal is ruining the school. Just read the MAJORITY of the ratings written this year. They are an absolute accurate depiction of the current state of RHMS. I would agree with the past review noting the "strong personality" of the current principal, but make no mistake. The words "hostility" and "bully" have been used in past reviews to describe the new principal, and these are completely accurate descriptions. The current principal does not want parent involvement. She wants full control. If do you get involved and, heaven forbid, have a different perspective, you are considered a "controlling" and "difficult" parent...I worry about parents that dump their children off at the school and give the school full control over their children's education. Anyone who knows anything about setting a child up for success in school, knows that the key is engaged teachers AND PARENTS. The parents MUST be included in the equation. Unfortunately, at RHMS, starting this year, and thanks to the new principal, parents aren't welcome...Period. Makes it difficult to set your child up for success.

Posted February 07, 2013
I love Rolling Hills! My children participate in after school sports, advanced academics and leadership! The teachers are wonderful, caring individuals who give all they have to their students. I have wonderful respect for our new principal and vp. The last principal was great too! I especially love the new P and VP because of their strong personalities, strong discipline and love for the students. Middle school is no easy task and these two handle it with professionalism. Bravo for standing up to those "difficult" parents!! Parents shouldn't control education... let the educators do that!! The office staff is the friendliest in the district too!! Go Eagles!

Posted January 31, 2013
The new administration of this school is deplorable. They bully both students and parents in an attempt to demoralize those who want to achieve. Attempts to communicate with the administration are ignored. If you can get their attention you are met with hostility and denial. Integrity, honesty and all the tenets of SOAR which they push on the children on a daily basis are not reflected in the slightest by the behavior of the current administration. Caveat emptor.

Posted December 20, 2012
I whole-heartedly agree with the previous post - RHMS used to be such a great school. I have had children at least one child in the school for the past three years, and we have always loved this school. We have seen an immediate decline in the culture with the arrival of the new principal. A number of changes that have been made that have negatively impacted what used to make RHMS great. The top administration is not receptive to parental input that does not exactly align with their plans for the school. After giving constructive feedback and legitimate concerns about my child's ability to function at the school under some of the new processes, I was treated without respect and disregarded....I would not recommend this school. I think we can expect a decline in the RMHS that we have all come to know and love over recent years. Great teachers, great parents, lousy administration....Very, very sad.

Posted November 27, 2012
Used to be such a great school. Now they have so many problems with bullying and crazy teachers!!! Looking into finding a new school for my children! Children can be hit in the head daily in the classroom and if the teacher has their back turned they will ignore the problem. Tried talking with vice principal never got anywhere. Its sad when teachers protect the bullies. Years ago I would have given this school a 5 star. I wish I could now. There are still a few really awesome teachers but if your child gets one of the bad ones its the worst experience ever. Bad teachers like the ones at this school are what cause children to say things like "I want to die!" Would not recommend this school!!!

Rolling Hills Middle School
1585 More Avenue, Los Gatos, CA  95030
Last modified Rolling Hills Middle School is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rolling Hills Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top