Louise Van Meter Elementary School 3

Posted January 12, 2014
The school is NOT as good as others at the same score level. Kids are not learning at their best. They teach kids across the whole grade the same material (teacher using the same material and the same homework). There is no individual things that they would do for the kids. If your kids are more advance in math, expect he/she will get super bored at their math class. My kids finish their math work early, and end up reading their books during math class. Express several times to the teacher (I am not the only parents complaining). They do not foster kids at their levels, which is very disappointing to me (seen this for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade)..At the end of the 5th grade, the kids might be just leveled to the middle. The exploding in housing development will just make things worse. I could not believe that people will pay the high housing price for this school now. The new principle, not impressed. We missed the old Principle very much. She is kind and caring about kids. Greeting every kids in the morning and know their names.

Louise Van Meter Elementary School 3

Posted November 23, 2013
This school has suffered as the town council has allowed the town of Los Gatos to build sprawling subdivisions in every spare spot of land anywhere in town. A school that was originaly built for about 400 students now accommodates almost 700 students and the building isn't done and there are no new schools on the horizon. All this and we have a new principal who is no Roseanne Adona. She doesn't know the names of the students and cannot deal with any kind of crisis or conflict. Lacking leadership and guidance the weaker teachers are doing even worse than they did before. The teachers that excel and care about children always do great - hope that you get one of those great dedicated teachers and not one of those who is just phoning it in. The teachers who are just in it for the paycheck (which isn't exactly minimum wage) don't want to do any extra work and aren't afraid to throw around their attitude, take it out on the students, or gossip about you behind your back. Compare the curriculum to Saratoga next door. Our kids funnel into the same high school district shouldn't the elementary districts have similar curriculums? Numbers aren't the whole story.

Louise Van Meter Elementary School 2

Posted October 28, 2013
The 2011 reported student body was 634, it's grown since then with new housing developments. New principal, the one who knew everyone by name retired. Not expecting anything dramatic to improve as new principal is near end of her career, probably looking to coast into retirement. With her and the upper admin, not expecting any new academic focus areas. Teachers are friendly, most are fine, but this isn't a top district. Now the schools are large and the system is strained, board and Sup focus on construction not academics or kids.

Posted October 04, 2013
Great school. We liked our every year at LVM. Principle knows each student by name, meet and greet students when they come to school. We were really lucky. Unfortunately Fisher is not even nearly the same.

Posted September 07, 2013
I must disagree with the last review, my daughter and son both attend Van Meter. Daughter in third grade and has attended since kinder, she has never had a class size larger than 22, my sons kinder class was the largest I'd seen to date at 24. That being said, I have never seen or known of children that are so excited about learning, I feel very lucky, and happy with my choice to buy a home here 4 years ago.

Posted August 27, 2013
Sorry your numbers and statistics are drastically outdated. Enrollment is 770 with class sizes closer to 28.

Posted November 24, 2010
I went through this school and it was the most friendly, loving, caring environment imaginable.

Posted August 27, 2010
Principle of our school one more time showed how meticulous and prompt she's by posting all the information that us, the parents, need for the upcoming school year in the school's website way before the rest of the schools in the district. Luckily a very small percent of the parents still think school is just to hang out rather than an academic place for learning and studying. The teachers, the principle and rest of the very devoted parents are making miracles in terms of creating the productive, family like atmosphere.

Louise Van Meter Elementary School 4

Posted May 25, 2010
Biggest problem is the parents. The teachers we have had so far have been great and have really encouraged our daughter, who has excelled. The previous review is totally off base. Do some parents give gifts? As far as I know only in class wide gift baskets or certificates, and I have never seen any favors done as a result.

Posted May 25, 2010
This was our first year at LVM and what a year! I have a gifted son who is also a challenge to work with as he is intense and somewhat anxious. Let me tell you, Mrs. Adona, Mr. Gerken and the resource folks have been fantastic! They allowed my son to attend above grade level classes and have been fabulous about working with me for his school year next year. I can't think of a better school with better teachers that actually care if your child is successful. Bravo!

Louise Van Meter Elementary School
16445 Los Gatos Boulevard, Los Gatos, CA  95032
Last modified Louise Van Meter Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Louise Van Meter Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top