Posted December 24, 2013
Moving our kids from private school to public was a concern but Alta Vista has far exceeded our expectations. The community is A+ and it shows with tremendous parent involvement at the school. API test scores are impressive so I believe the leadership and teaching is first rate. Feel very fortunate to be a part of Alta Vista!

Alta Vista Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
The school is great, the teachers are great. My only concern is for the kids who have social issues. I wish the school could do more to help those students who are being socially outcasted (not necessarily bullied). Create a buddy system for these kids and create play time for these kids so they get educated on how to be social.

Posted February 05, 2012
Excellent teachers, an outstanding, accessible principal, terrific parent involvement and programs. We moved here a year ago because our kids were struggling academically and have been very happy with the teachers efforts to reach and motivate them. Great field trips, school traditions, enrichment, and very strong sense of community.

Posted May 25, 2010
Our children have been attending Alta Vista for many years and their teachers have always been excellent. The qualitiy of our childrens' education has been excellent due to both the teachers and parent involvement. We will greatly miss this school when we leave.

Alta Vista Elementary School 3

Posted May 06, 2010
Everything you see in the reviews gives a good view of this school. The teachers are excellent! Every one of them has a reputation for getting to know each child in the classroom and developing him/her as well as making accommodations to the child's unique style. Academically, the core curriculum is dictated by the state's proficiency standards, which sets the bar lower than many other states. Some teachers invest more time into enhancing the curriculum than others, so the academic challenge (breadth and depth) varies within each grade. The administration does not dictate what happens in the classroom. The message is that the teacher is an independent entity. Also, the district does not provide art or music in the school. Parent involvement is essential, parents are used to teach art classes and to fund the music teacher and program.

Posted May 21, 2009
I'm very pleased with the level of education that my daughter, a 4th grade student, is getting at Alta Vista. I believe that the teachers are dedicated and excellent. Alta Vista does have a high level of parents involvement which is great! My daughter is very happy to go to school every morning. Even though she does well in school, I still am happy to sit down and read with her.

Alta Vista Elementary School 2

Posted May 07, 2009
I am sorry to say that as a parent of a Special day class student (my child is not in mainstream), I am disappointed with this school. The Special Day class teachers are very nice and I believe they are doing their best (don't get me wrong), but my son is in the 4th grade and still cannot read well even though he is in Speical Day Class for the majority of the day and is only mainstreamed a few times per week. We have to pay a tutor twice a week $50.00 per session (=$100.00 per week) to move things along. I wish I had found a better school to take my child to when he was in 2nd grade.

Posted March 27, 2007

Alta Vista Elementary School 4

Posted March 31, 2006
This school has an excellent reputation as one of the best schools in the Union School District. The school has a high level of parent participation and the home and school club raise many thousands of dollars in supplemental funds each year. This is a good school by California standards. The parent involvement makes up for many shortcomings. However, some of these same involved parents operate as a clique, dominating the H&S club, site council and allocating funds and reponsibilities to the inner circle. The majority of the teachers are excellent and work under somwhat difficult conditions due to lack of support by the district and district policies. The test scores w.r.t other Union schools have slipped and the school seems to have no plan in place. The leadership is too accepting of mediocrity.

Alta Vista Elementary School 3

Posted January 20, 2006

Alta Vista Elementary School
200 Blossom Valley Road, Los Gatos, CA  95032
Last modified Alta Vista Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alta Vista Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top