Malibu, CA

Posted September 10, 2013
Our children attended one wonderful year at Point Dume Marine Science Elementary School under the superb leadership of the Principal of 2010. The teachers are considerate, intelligent, supportive and all around just great! At that time, there were aides in each class which was wonderful for my kids after attending a below standard school. I remember my son saying, "mom, I don't think I learned anything in third grade"! And that is why we chose Malibu. My kids thrived there! The parent involvement is extraordinary and appreciated! Unfortunately, my daughter became very ill from a rare disease and we had to move over the hill and have her in a warm/dry environment. The schools here are great too! Some advice to the parents investigating schools...look around, ask around and make sure where you move is right for your children!

Posted March 31, 2013
PDMSS - i was born and raised in New England, very critical of CA schools. Point Dume has exceeded all expectations! Three children at PDMSS - both regular ciriculum and special needs. Great private schools nearby but not needed. PDMSS has High quality teachers, High intensity administration, Individualized attention on so many fronts. Examples- one of my children struggling with reading- administration has consistently reached out in terms of additional aid (both after school and during summer...for free) - his improvement has been marked. Another child special needs- highest quality teachers, therapists, superb teacher/student ratio - progress made will allow him to matriculate into "normal" Kindergarten this autumn. Third child top decile- the school has yet to fail to challenge. Diverse and very well educated parent base, with intense participation. My only criticism is i wish there was greater exposure to art & music during school hours. However, this could be rectified if the Santa Monica-Malibu school board would allow 100% of money given to PDMSS to be used at PDMSS...the commitment is there!

Posted November 16, 2010
It does not get any better than this. We have been there 10 years now, with my oldest in the 9th grade at MHS. The teachers and staff have become like family. The principal, well I can't say enough about. She knows every child's name and personality, as well as the parents. Sad to be leaving the end of this year!

Posted October 17, 2010
It is very very environmentally conscious and teaching our children to be so.

Posted May 21, 2009

Posted January 30, 2009
This school has disappointed me with regard to standardized test scores

Posted January 29, 2009
There are many reasons that people who can afford to send their children to any school choose to send their children to Pt. Dume. I have had four children go through Pt. Dume and all have received an excellent education. My two older children who are now in Middle School continue to get straight As largely due to how well Pt. Dume prepared them. 33 parents volunteer every week on Traffic Safety. You won't find a school anywhere with more Traffic Safety volunteers keeping children safe.

Posted August 26, 2008
This school has some large problems with bullying and a problem with the principal. While the school score highly on standardized tests, this is largely the result of some stellar students carrying a more average student population. The wet marine science lab is wonderful for a public school.

Posted August 26, 2008
My children, who are now in 9th grade, say that Point Dume was the best school they've ever been too. They were taught thoroughly on everything. Parents were told everything that we needed to know by the teachers. My children were ready for 6th grade more than any other kid I knew. This is the school to go to if you live in Malibu.

Posted August 14, 2008

Point Dume Elementary School
6955 Fernhill Drive, Malibu, CA  90265
Last modified Point Dume Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Point Dume Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top