Veritas Elementary School

Public | K-8

Posted August 10, 2014

My child has gone to the school since kindergarten & my child has has mostly good teachers & 2 not so good teachers. There were a number of teachers who retired last year & the party line was either due to medical reasons or wanting to pursue personal agendas. I wonder if there were underlying reasons such as the implementation of new Common Core standards or another issue that was left unspoken. The teachers who were good were outstanding. As for the office staff, I tend to agree with the unfavorable comments, unfortunately. Although the service has improved tremendously over the last few years personal experience with them is they appear to "tolerate" me & have witnessed them on numerous occasions with "attitude" toward myself & other parents. However, I know others who do not have this experience. So, it's hard to say the root of the issue. I feel I have been nothing but nice to them and purposely do not make waves for many reasons not relevant to this review. The principal has always been helpful & kind. I personally have had no negative experience with her. My only improvement I would like to see from her is more focus on sport programs as it seems to be a very low priority.

Posted August 9, 2014

I was checing around and saw this, I thought I was just having the review about the many things are dead on, we have been here since 2007 we have 2 childs left to graduate and even my ex husbands wife has had problems, (our children are 7 and 9 years apart in age), if the housing markets value were not so terable we would move back to San Jose, if we sale our house we would lost money. Go in with eyes wide open.

Posted August 18, 2013

Please do not attend this school for the sake of your kids. My child was bullied there and then we the parents were accused of it being our fault. Um... excuse me? My child literally has a bruise that looked like knuckles on his leg. Thank god he is not traumatized by this too much and we got out of this school. And the office staff is horrible but I'm sure they are great to about 10% of people right?

Posted May 9, 2013

Don't believe the propaganda reviews. PTA may be better, now, but the school itself is on a slippery slope. The classrooms are large, teachers (except for a couple) are not very good, and the principle is by far the worst I've come into contact with. My children, like others who've commented, hate coming here; this year will be their last. If your child loves school, and you bring them here, they will soon want to just stay home. I'm not sure of their agenda, but as I've talked to many parents, their children feel the same. It's not a warm and inviting place, very cold, heartless, and disturbing.

Posted December 13, 2012

Great PTA. Great teachers. Staff, teachers and PTA are quick to respond to any inquiry or concern. I am proud to have my boys at Veritas Elementary!

Posted October 26, 2012

Hi Renee, I read your comment and other comments about the school and PTA. They were very bothersome. The PTA has taken great strides over the last year and a half. Last year and this year the PTA sponsered Red Ribbon Week, Math Night, Science Night, 5 movies Nights, Jog-A thons, Health and Safety Fairs. Every year our 1st major fundraiser is to help kids go to 5th grade science camp. Tonight is our 1st Fall Festival. Next week is our 1st game night for the older kids. Flyers go out all the time. Phone calls go out all the time. If you signed up for the Associtaion and gave your email you are getting updates all the time. I looked through all of the members this year and there was not a Renee in the pile. Maybe it got lost through the channels. I'm sorry you feel like the School and the PTA are not welcomeing. You should have stopped by the Association last night and you could been apart of the fun. What bothers me is the lack of parent support the PTA have gotten. But slowly people are coming around. Hopefully the Parents who have complaints can make some of the meetings and express them. The PTA and school listens. Also Mrs. Crawford is an awsome woman! She cares!

Posted October 26, 2012

Part 2: I am trying to figure out how anyone can say anything negative about the principal? She is a wonderful and kind woman and we feel blessed to have her running our school! Sometimes I think about the way she is always smiling and ask myself is she super human? You may have 1, 2 or 3 children to worry and have concern about, how about try 390+, and see how you feel at the end of the day. The teachers are amazing and we feel blessed to have such amazing, kind and positive role models in our child's life. I look forward to volunteering in our daughter s classroom. Our daughter s Kindergarten teacher last year was honestly one of the best teachers I have observed and she sparked my interest in teaching and I am considering getting back into the classroom, her current teacher has done the same. They do amazing things for having such a small and I mean small budget. Instead of pointing out what you may see as "the negatives", why not ask yourself "what can I do for my child s teacher and what can I do for my child's school"? It takes a village to raise a child and my husband and I are honored to have the staff at Veritas helping raise ours. The Small's

Posted October 26, 2012

We were directed to this site not too long ago and the reviews made me sick to my stomach, especially the reviews about the office staff, who happen to be two of the most caring and loving women I have ever had the pleasure of knowing! I know that if I have to call, or check in that I will be met with smiles and most important if our daughter has to go to the office, she is in the best care in the world (this is coming from a mother whom has never left her with a babysitter). For those that feel the need to degrade someone s character when they have done nothing wrong and are amazing have some serious issues and frankly I am very relieved that you have chosen another school. The only things that will make this a better school is a teaching position to open for my husband, special education to be added for our oldest daughter and the parents to have a non-judgmental, positive and loving attitude The Small s

Posted October 26, 2012

Part 1: We were directed to this site not too long ago and the reviews made me feel sad. The office staff, happen to be, two of the most caring and loving women I have ever had the pleasure of knowing! I know that if I have to call, or check in that I will be met with smiles and most important,if our daughter has to go to the office, she is in the best care in the world (this is coming from a mother whom has never left her with a babysitter). For those that feel the need to speak so harshly about someone s character when they have been amazing and very loving have some serious issues and frankly I am very relieved that you have chosen another school. The only things that will make this a better school is a teaching position to open for my husband, special education to be added for our oldest daughter and the parents to have a non-judgmental, positive and loving attitude The Small s

Posted October 19, 2012

I was interested in all the commets posted about parent involvement and the PTA. Our kids just started attending for the first time last school year. I was interested to see what the PTA was really all about. I saw signs saying when the PTA meeting were and received a flyer brought home by my children. I went to the meeting and there were only 2 parents there. Out of 600 students only 2 parents could take time to be involved. So I am slightly confused over the other comments about the PTA since there is not any parent involvement at all and they have not turned anyone down who wants to help. Are you contacting the correct person on the PTA? Where are you getting your feedback from about the PTA not accepting any help? Just curious....sorry your experience was not pleasant maybe you should try again......it is a new year and maybe there are new people involved who are trying to make changes.

Posted October 2, 2012

My son is in the 5th grade, this is our 3rd year at this school. I was looking online to find some information and I noticed that the reviews are not the best, which to my relief made me feel better about my opinions. The other reviews are right on the money. There is very limited parent involvement we signed up for the PTA and never heard anything about it, from what other reviews have said they are not very warm, it feels that they want help but then do not accept it, at my children's school before moving it was the teachers that organized events so no one could be left out or be above all. The teachers seem ok and I hardly see the principal. We were going to move but sadly when the market crashed we cannot sell our home, we live Pagola so it is right there, we are toughing it out as I am sure all school have a flaw. School pride and spirit is definatly needed. If you look around, smiling faces almost do not exist. Renee

Posted October 2, 2012

Office staff could use some social classes, the the other reviewer hit the nail on the head. Teachers are great and the tst scores are what are keeping us in place, for now.

Posted September 24, 2012

My partner and I have 3 children, 2 boys and 1 girl, our two oldest attended Veritas 2009-2011, they did not want to go to school and asked to stay home, there are no fun activities for the kids, and the posts about what others say about the p.t.a. and school office are 100% true it is as if parents are not welcome so the other parents can get a gold star and say they did it all on there own. We now are at Great Valley Academy and everyone is happy, and they want to go to school on the weekends, it was a good positive move for us.

Posted September 8, 2012

As a parent this school is a great school.The go way out of their way to help my child. This is our first year at this school and my son was afraid and cryed everyday. One of the yard dutyys Sandra took him under his wing and showed him that it was ok to go to class and meet new people. She would stay way past her time and make my son feel comftable. My son tells me that he cant wait to go to school so he can play kick ball with his new friends and the nice yard duty Sandra. I wish more schools would have people like her there, she makes the kids feel like they can accomplish anything and not worry about the bad stuff, but think of the good stuff. The office staff have their days but I can understand why, they deal with allot of stuff and only they know what is going on. I havent Met the principal yet from what I hear she should take lessons from her yard duties and be more social. This school for me and my family so far has been a blessing. And we plan to stay for a long time. Lets be positive and support our school. :)

Posted August 14, 2012

We moved from Bay to Manteca about 2 years ago this would had been my daughters 3rd year at Veritas and my son would had been joining kindergarten I was lucky enough to get my kids out and into a charter school..My daughter struggled only at this school and instead of offering after school programs or tutoring they were immediate to put her on written warnings! Shes very shy and with my suggestions we had her seeing counslor only to find out in one year she had 2 visits? The no Holloween thing sucks too!!!!

Posted January 24, 2012

I'm giving this school 5 stars because of their teachers and principal. My son an extremely difficult time starting 1st grade and if it wasn't for Mrs. Crawford (the principal) I really don't know how it would have been resolved. She had an entire system thought out to help him and she spe nt an hour or so every morning with him solely. As a Mom, with an emotionally scared child (first year at a new school), I felt secure with Mrs Crawford taking him under her wing. There is no price to that. I agree the front office can have an attitude often and is uncomfortable, but if that is the only thing wrong with the school, I'll take it! I'm sure they do a great job or they would have been replaced. I love all the teachers I have met so far and they all take their job very seriously. The school is camera monitored, which I love. They have a great computer lab, wWONDERFUL yard duties!! I'm happy to have 2 of my children there because I know they're getting the best education and social skills they can get in this district. Mrs Locke, has empressed me the most with her ethics. Mrs Azavedos, is very consistent, Mr Brown, is a fantastic role model for boys and makes learning fun.

Posted May 31, 2011

I love the teacher at this school. The front office is a different story. The school needs improvement of communications with parents in regards of the school schedule calendar for the whole school year. And also the activities that are involved in the school year. Other than that this school is good its just lack of communication with new and old parents.

Posted April 3, 2011

We moved to this school from the Bay Area. We think that it is a great school so far. Very organized and communicative. They offer more opportunities to meet with the teacher as well as music programs to keep the kids active in music. Something that was cut where we used to live in the Bay Area.

Posted November 17, 2010

I LOVE MY CHILDS TEACHERS AT VEITAS. THE OFFICE IS ANOTHER STORY. VERY RUDE PEOPLE WORK IN THERE. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THERE IS SO MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THESE LADIES - I HAVE READ ON THE OTHER PARENT REVIEWS- SO WHY ARE THERE SO MANY COMPLAINTS AND NOTHING CHANGES. THEY ARE RUDE EVERYTIME I GO THERE, NOT ONLY TO ME, BUT OTHER PARENTS ALSO. WHEN WILL THE PRINCIPAL STEP IN AND TELL THESE WOMEN TO BE MORE PROFESIONAL AND TREAT EVERYONE WITH KINDNESS. OTHER THEN THE FRONT OFFICE I 'l LOVE THE SCHOOL'!!!

Posted October 28, 2010

We also moved here from the bay area and a terrific school. This school has been nothing but the worst school we have ever experienced. The principle and teacher don't care that our child was being bullied and Instead blamesd it on us. There is no parent involvement we signed up for the PTA and never heard anything about it. The teacher acts like we are bothering them or that we are insane for asking simple questions like can my child wear a Halloween costume to school? The answer NO they don't do such things out here. There Are complete bullocks going on at this school. There is no organization or communication about anything. It's a shame that the parents here don't know what else is out there!

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students60%

Parent education - high school graduate40%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)33%
Parent education - college graduate89%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1600 Pagola Street