Joshua Cowell Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 614 students

Posted August 22, 2013

My school is not the greatest. It needs improvements. I have two children who attend Joshua Cowell School.

Posted August 1, 2013

The problem with Joshua Cowell Elementary School is the current principal who does not know how to operate administration aspect of the school. The principal does not take matters seriously! She does not follow through normal school operations! Administrative ongoing issues: Failure to contact or report of my child or children was absent. Joshua Cowell School never contacts me of my child or children absent from school. Failure to follow proper suspension procedures. The school staff never informed me that my child was suspended. My child told me that she was suspended. When I called the principal she said that she did but had a wrong number. She mention that Alexis had an ongoing issue with another child. I was never informed. Prior to the incident, I was not informed that there was an ongoing issue with my child and another student. Half of the 7th and 8th graders failed the math and no additional tutoring was provided No previous contact before the quarter if the child is not doing well; until it is too late! The school lacks communication, organization and not looking into the child s best interest and education.

Posted March 8, 2013

As the old principal was not very friendly the Jr. High Teachers were great but new math teacher is horrible and does not truly want to teach! How can he if 50+% of Jr. High is FAILING! Somethings wrong with taht picture! I Have children who are now in HS but also at this school and it has gone down hill! No homework! Principal needs to tell teachers what to do! They need to read the definition of "homework". No teacher/parent contact when a child is not doing well until it is too late! Old math teacher was much better and is tutoring and helping my child. The old Math Teacher needs to go back to Junior High. More papers sent home so parents know what their children are going and learning! I too have heard the yard duties are not as nice as prior. Looking to move our child for next year!

Posted January 26, 2013

The reviews seem outdated, so I thought I'd leave a review myself. I'm a former student, and went to the school during the reigns of both the old and new principals. I agree the old principal seemed uncaring, but she did what needed doing, and left the rest to the teachers. The teachers are amazing people who love their jobs and care about the kids they teach. During this time, the school was lively and fun. Especially the junior high years. Then the new principal came. The year was about the same as before, as she was still getting used to the place. Graduation wasn't great, but we made the most of it. Later in my freshman year, I came to visit a teacher. The school was the about the same, save for a few changes. But a visit in my sophomore year changed my mind completely. The place seemed dull and boring, the atmosphere unenthusiastic. The office wasn't its lively, busy self. I'd even heard that some teachers were quitting; indeed, the ones I saw looked tired. The campus decorations were over the top. I think the principal was so bent on changing the school's image, the people suffered. By the way, every time I went to visit, the yard duties were rude. I miss the old ones.

Posted September 30, 2011

my girls really like that school, they are so happy, with the new teachers has a parent, Im so happy with the new principal and teachers.

Posted November 28, 2010

I have only recently been introduced to this school, and as the wife and daughter of a teacher myself, I am saddened by the apathetic attitude of several of the teachers. Continually asking for progress reports to no avail and when a student gets a D- on their report card, they have the gall to leave the comment that she is improving. Homework is not given in particular class, so the grade is soley on tests and class work. Perfect, tell me what you do in class. Oh wait, you would have to show up for the parent teacher conference. But they didn't. Told me they other things to do...well guess what....so did I.

Posted May 10, 2010

The only problem with this school is the Principal. She is not a people person and her personality can often be confused by rudeness. The staff on the other hand keep the school going. I too agree that she should retire.

Posted February 4, 2010

I feel that the principle does not do enough to promote school spirit and allow the children to feel proud of their school.

Posted November 25, 2009

This is our first year at this school. I have a 4th and 2nd grader. My only problem with this school is I feel its all work and no fun for the kids. There are no assemblies, there was nothing extra for Halloween and I feel like my kids have no fun. I feel school should be fun for the children to keep them interested.

Posted July 24, 2007

I would like to see music with instruments, voice lessons and plays.

Posted February 25, 2007

ive been attending joshua cowell for 9 years im an eighth grader and i love joshua cowell , all these clames about how bad it is i dont agree with them.. all of the teachers are so caring and ive grown to ahve a relationship with every single one i feel like i can talk to them when i have a problem...i will be graduating from joshua cowell and im proud to say i will miss it so much ive grown up at that school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 31, 2005

My children have attentded Joshua Cowell for 3 years now. I have seen this school start out healthy and turn to worse. The teachers here deserve all the credit. They keep in touch with the parents and let you know what is going on with the your child. The parent teacher relationship is outstanding. The teachers truly care about the children and their education. But lately the problem is the principle. My children are quiet and kind-hearted. And the children will pick on them. And I am not just talking about name calling. My children have come home with bruises on their backs. My daughter came home with a black eye. I brought to the principles attention and her response was, ' there is nothing I can do about it'. My children deserve better and so does yours. Don't send your child to this school.

Posted May 10, 2004

I'm a former student of this school now attending Manteca High, and would like to say that these claims that are nothing but negative come from parent's who apparently could not have little tolerance at all. In the time I spent at this school I did experience that adminastration was not always on top of everything and the 'yard duties' weren't really to par, but the teachers were excellent, at least in my years there (7'th and 8'th). Most of them really cared if the children understood, not just did the work, but got the concept. Teachers maintained disipline in the class very well. As far as 'the playground is unsafe' it's an arrangment of metal for little kids to jump and climb on, it won't be 100% safe no matter what, nor should it be, you can't shelter your child completely. So if you are intrested in the area don't let these complaints throw you into some unnecessary paranoia.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 22, 2004

The administration shows an amazing apathy for the students, and the district office doesn't seem to care much either. My children will not be attending this school next year, and I am thankful for it. I have been lucky to draw some excellent teachers during our stay here, which is the only thing that made this experience bearable.

Posted November 24, 2003

I have found the elementary teachers to be very caring. They have worked hard with my children to meet state and district goals. I have yet to see the principal interact with ANY child at the school, and have found the administrations safety policies to be virtually nonexistant. Luckily, I am an involved parent that can advocate for my children. Others are not so lucky, and will suffer for it.

Posted November 4, 2003

I recently have moved out of Manteca Unified school district after having my children attend various schools within the district for eight years. They have been attending school with Saddleback Unified and Capistrano Unified school district for the past year. Manteca Unified is a horrible place to send your children. The lack of communication, level of academic learning, and egomania of the district administrative branch is an outrage. Manteca Unified should take advice and lessons from these Blue Ribbon, extraordinary public schools. I'm just extremely glad my first grader is being educated in an excellent school without having to pay for private school.

This school's

+35

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

1 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students40%

Parent education - high school graduate27%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)75%
Parent education - college graduate73%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 10%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

740 Pestana Avenue