Posted October 04, 2014
John Swett Elementary is an amazing school. We moved into this area to be able to have our children attend here. It disheartens me to read the terrible reviews from others here. If these parents are so unhappy, then why don't they ask for a transfer. There are plenty schools who have room in our area. Every principal and staff have their own style. They are not going to make everyone happy all of the time. The entire staff at JSE is involved and do a great job. As a matter of fact, we probably have more children transfer into our school than any other in our district! So if our school is so bad, why would there be so many wanting to attend here? The more you get involved in the your child's education the more successful they will be. Instead of spending your time writing on posts like this about the negative; spend your time volunteering and/or spending time with the people you complain about. They might not be so bad. Give them a chance! This is just very sad to see this. If you grown ups act like this, I sure hope my kids aren't friends with your kids. What are you teaching them??

John Swett Elementary School 2

Posted August 27, 2014
The school has some truly wonderful and dedicated teachers, which is its main redeeming quality. Since the new principal started, field trips have been stopped and hands-on learning has been replaced with iPads, apps and headphones. The kids rarely seem to engage in collaborative work and exciting learning opportunities are rare. You only have to look at the projects funded on Donors Choose which are mostly for iPads, document cameras and other expensive technology which does little to excite or enthuse the kids and really serves to make the teachers' lives easier. Instead of donating to my own child's school, this year I chose to donate to other schools who were raising money for owl pellet dissections and other hands-on experiences. I just wish my child had the same opportunities at this school.

Posted May 21, 2014
This school has a flag that says "Distinguished School", however it is a "Detention Center" They are not allowed to play or laugh before school....instead must walk on the blacktop in circles. The teachers walk with their heads down..not making eye contact with anyone, the past principal had a forced retirement, the new principal is very unethical. The only reason he received Principal of year was because he purchased his title. He does not even go by his real name which is --Adam Repicky. When people realize who he is--they know the leadership is full of arrogance and anything that is about "HIM". Teachers are always yelling at the students with the loud speakers, the secretary is FULL of gossip. Though she has been very sad since the new principal has been there--now 2 years. His presence greatly affects the school and community--in a bad way. He yells at parents in front of their children, singles out parents he does not know just to harass. He is known by the men as "Napoleon"-- The bald man with the short man syndrome. He has dozens of documented complaints at the district . Instructors at other schools also do not like being around him .

Posted May 21, 2014
Regarding the most recent"DISTINGUISHED SCHOOL" comment. I think this comment is all really about a person that likes to gossip and pick at the lowest points of people that really have the hardest jobs around. If you don't like this school stop complaining and ask the school district for an inter transfer request. That way it will also help with one less car in the way for pickup too.

Posted May 08, 2014
After waiting hours for registration at the district office, a deceitful note arrives telling me I have to attend registration at the school. It was just a fundraiser, sign up for boy scouts (no girl scouts), join the band, if you are old enough and then give us $100 cause you want to. I lost hours and hard earned accruals to be away from work. If I had that kind of money laying around, my kids wouldn't go to public school. School starts, I find out that my daughter isn't even in a kindergarten classroom and as such has to leave the room completely to use the bathroom. So now she is in trouble all the time for getting distracted on her way back. Her poor teacher started the year with nothing but smart board... no circle time rug, no pictures, nothing with any color or of interest to most small children. She is left alone in a classroom of 28 kindergartners and doesn't even have an aid. This leaves kids who don't fit the mold left out in the cold. School fundraisers provide nothing to the class. There is a constant stream of we need this, fund that. No real resources have been provided. My daughter wouldn't do worse without the smart board. How about paints instead?

Posted April 02, 2014
I have my two kids going to this school. 13/14 is their first year and very happy of the educational progress they are making. I like the school follow up system to get parents involved in their children education. I am so pleased with the home work and other school activities review sent home every Thursday. That really helped me stay connected with the school. The teacher are so great that I receive an update on upcoming projects or school activities. Keep it up Road Runners!!

Posted February 14, 2014
My daughter just came back from the local pizza place and ran into a group of mothers and their daughters from John Swett Elementary. Not all of them, but a large group of them sat there and glared at her for over 20 minutes. My daughter came home in tears. Where do young women learn this vile behavior from?? Children learn HATE and INDIFFERENCE from their parents. The mother's who took part in this do not even know my daughter but if they did they probably wouldn't have behaved that way. My daughter is sweet, kind, and did not deserve this. Bullying occurs at so many levels but when your child is diagnosed with PTSD after attending a school you have to take a stand. Vicious gossip is meaningless and all it does is cause pain and confusion for children. Unfortunately at this school office staff, teachers, and parents all take part in this ridiculous nonsense.

Posted June 14, 2013
My son just finished his first year at John Swett, and we've been very happy with the experience thus far. A huge positive at this school is the measure of parent participation across all grade levels. Lots and lots of involvement. The district has seen scores rise even during the recession, and the community just re-funded a parcel tax for the schools, which is helpful. A negative for our experience was class size... 27 kids in a Kindergarten class! Way too many kids. We were lucky that there were 1-2 parent helpers there every day, though, so you get the sense that the community is doing the best it can with what it's got. Test scores are rising, but more importantly the kids seem happy and judging by the interesting home-crafted projects and such streaming onto campus throughout the year, they're having fun, too.

Posted July 29, 2011
This is a school that has it all: education, teachers, caring community, parents who care not only for their kids but for all the kids, a principal and staff that genuinely loves and cares for every student and parent at JSE and their stats on tests scores speak for themselves. This school is a team and this team wants success for everybody in the team no matter what and as a mom of a JSE student I am so proud to call JSE home for my son. The best education in town.

Posted September 18, 2009
John Swett Elementary is a great school! It has a balance of awesome teachers, pro-active principal and parent participation. I would not want my kids going anywhere else.

John Swett Elementary School
4955 Alhambra Valley Road, Martinez, CA  94553
Last modified John Swett Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Swett Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top