Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My daughter goes to this school. Her teachers so far have been wonderful. I love the fact that teachers use Remind and Twitter. It makes me feel involved even if I am at work all day long and makes for more involved conversations with my daughter. Teachers are very responsive when you have questions. I really like this school a lot.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Most of the teachers are in a little click and if you don't meet their standards your child is treated horribly.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They treat privileged students better than the other students it has been and will always be that way at John Swett.

This school has truly never impressed me. I moved here just to make sure my daughter attended it and why? The office admin is never friendly, the teachers are rude to the families that are not on their "level" so to speak, and the new principle is so lost its unbelievable! Kids are bullied daily. It's to the point my 4th grader is asking me to send her someone else next year!!!!! So much for a top rated school!!!

John Swett Elementary is an amazing school. We moved into this area to be able to have our children attend here. It disheartens me to read the terrible reviews from others here. If these parents are so unhappy, then why don't they ask for a transfer. There are plenty schools who have room in our area. Every principal and staff have their own style. They are not going to make everyone happy all of the time. The entire staff at JSE is involved and do a great job. As a matter of fact, we probably have more children transfer into our school than any other in our district! So if our school is so bad, why would there be so many wanting to attend here? The more you get involved in the your child's education the more successful they will be. Instead of spending your time writing on posts like this about the negative; spend your time volunteering and/or spending time with the people you complain about. They might not be so bad. Give them a chance! This is just very sad to see this. If you grown ups act like this, I sure hope my kids aren't friends with your kids. What are you teaching them??

The school has some truly wonderful and dedicated teachers, which is its main redeeming quality. Since the new principal started, field trips have been stopped and hands-on learning has been replaced with iPads, apps and headphones. The kids rarely seem to engage in collaborative work and exciting learning opportunities are rare. You only have to look at the projects funded on Donors Choose which are mostly for iPads, document cameras and other expensive technology which does little to excite or enthuse the kids and really serves to make the teachers' lives easier. Instead of donating to my own child's school, this year I chose to donate to other schools who were raising money for owl pellet dissections and other hands-on experiences. I just wish my child had the same opportunities at this school.

This school has a flag that says "Distinguished School", however it is a "Detention Center" They are not allowed to play or laugh before school....instead must walk on the blacktop in circles. The teachers walk with their heads down..not making eye contact with anyone, the past principal had a forced retirement, the new principal is very unethical. The only reason he received Principal of year was because he purchased his title. He does not even go by his real name which is --Adam Repicky. When people realize who he is--they know the leadership is full of arrogance and anything that is about "HIM". Teachers are always yelling at the students with the loud speakers, the secretary is FULL of gossip. Though she has been very sad since the new principal has been there--now 2 years. His presence greatly affects the school and community--in a bad way. He yells at parents in front of their children, singles out parents he does not know just to harass. He is known by the men as "Napoleon"-- The bald man with the short man syndrome. He has dozens of documented complaints at the district . Instructors at other schools also do not like being around him .

Regarding the most recent"DISTINGUISHED SCHOOL" comment. I think this comment is all really about a person that likes to gossip and pick at the lowest points of people that really have the hardest jobs around. If you don't like this school stop complaining and ask the school district for an inter transfer request. That way it will also help with one less car in the way for pickup too.

After waiting hours for registration at the district office, a deceitful note arrives telling me I have to attend registration at the school. It was just a fundraiser, sign up for boy scouts (no girl scouts), join the band, if you are old enough and then give us $100 cause you want to. I lost hours and hard earned accruals to be away from work. If I had that kind of money laying around, my kids wouldn't go to public school. School starts, I find out that my daughter isn't even in a kindergarten classroom and as such has to leave the room completely to use the bathroom. So now she is in trouble all the time for getting distracted on her way back. Her poor teacher started the year with nothing but smart board... no circle time rug, no pictures, nothing with any color or of interest to most small children. She is left alone in a classroom of 28 kindergartners and doesn't even have an aid. This leaves kids who don't fit the mold left out in the cold. School fundraisers provide nothing to the class. There is a constant stream of we need this, fund that. No real resources have been provided. My daughter wouldn't do worse without the smart board. How about paints instead?

I have my two kids going to this school. 13/14 is their first year and very happy of the educational progress they are making. I like the school follow up system to get parents involved in their children education. I am so pleased with the home work and other school activities review sent home every Thursday. That really helped me stay connected with the school. The teacher are so great that I receive an update on upcoming projects or school activities. Keep it up Road Runners!!

Last modified John Swett Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.