Hidden Valley Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Martinez

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $249,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,420.

Posted June 5, 2014

The school year was fantastic thanks to a super 1st and 2nd grade teacher. She is positive with a loving nature and likes to challenge students in learning. She was always respectful and open to parents and wonderful example of what a teacher should be. As for other instructors at the school, I have heard some disheartening personal stories of children being called "smart aleck" several times per week in class. Certain teachers shaming children in front of others.When teachers use the "old method" of public embarrassment and shame, this is a form of bullying and is not a good example for children. Personal integrity and respect can be taught to children without shaming them. Consequences for behavior? Yes! But shaming and guilt? No! The new principal seems open and kind and perhaps there needs to be a teacher meeting reminding teachers be mindful of the words they speak to their students. A teacher is in a position of leadership and authority. The discouraging and shaming words a teacher speaks to little ones can influence them for the rest of their lives. This is why teachers should be both honored and held to a high standard as well. It's the most important job in the world.

Posted May 29, 2014

My first impression of Hidden Valley Elementary is that the school buildings, office area, and classrooms all look rather old and dingy. A new coat of paint inside and out, and some organizing if the classrooms, pod areas, and supplies would help immensely. The office staff was not very friendly or helpful when I registered my child for classes. Our family is new to the Martinez area and our kids had to start mid-school year at new schools in the Mount Diablo Unified School District. A helpful attitude and a smile from the office staff would have gone a long way towards helping my young child and I feel more welcomed at this new school and new neighborhood. My child's teacher, however, was very kind and welcoming. The class size (33 students) seemed to be too big, especially for the size of the classroom. I think the parent volunteers at this school deserve a lot of credit for keeping the school a positive, functioning educational environment. I am not sure that my child is learning anything new or being challenged academically, but I do think my child is learning some social skills. There is a new principal at this school; time will tell if this will be a help or hindrance.

Posted May 9, 2014

Our kids have been at HV for 6 years. The school in our opinion is average. The teachers are great with a long longevity which is very hard to find: they enjoy their jobs and are very passionate which shows (some have been there 20+ years). There is a new prinicipal as of April 14 so I cannot comment on him and his skills. The main point to make is that the school is WAY too large. Class sizes everywhere in MDUSD are over 30 kids per class but it's the overall over populated school community with over 800 children, some bused from other schools. Bullying, those with behavioral issues/foul language, will not be stopped as there are too many children vs staff. One of ours has disabilities and we transferred out early bc of the lack of special ed services offered and rendered. Keep an open dialogue with your children each day as to how each day goes for them. The parent volunteer association is great however, it's the same 10% of parents that do all the work, which is indicitive at other schools as well. Overall, it's just too big of a campus with not enough support services. I have yet to find anyone 100% happy with their school within the MDUSD besides Sequoia.

Posted May 8, 2014

Great teachers, very strong parent involvement. My son is thriving at Hidden Valley, and has learned so much since starting here. There is a strong sense of neighborhood community at this school, which we really love. There is a new principal that started last month, and he is so nice and dedicated. The teachers and staff seem very happy with his leadership.

Posted February 10, 2014

My Daughter is in 5th grade and has attended HV since Kinder. We have never had anything but a great experience. All 6 of her teachers have been GREAT. They are engaged and really seem to care about the kids not only learning but they have each tried to make their classroom special in some way. I have not needed to seek out the Principal, so I can't speak for her. The office staff does double-time and yet, takes the time to answer any needs. The parents at this school are VERY involved. There are always more than 2 room Moms in each of the classes. The vast majority of the kids seem kind and well-adjusted. It has been a very positive experience for my child. She is wee-prepared for Middle School.

Posted February 8, 2014

The office staff are very confrontational when asked for documentation . The principals change every week and the whole school is very chaotic. There is no pledge of allegiance and organized community gatherings I would not send my dog to this school

Posted September 6, 2013

If the principal is the same principal that was there in 2006, please consider private school instead, your money will be well spent. That woman was a horrible person who cared nothing for the children. She was just a bitter, horrid human being. I give the school 2 stars because the vice principal and the school counselor were actually very decent people. My daughter was severely bullied and the principal blamed her for it. She said there must be something wrong with my daughter for the other kids to bully her, and the problem was with her and not with the bullies. She literally told me that there must be something wrong with my child for her to get beat up by so many other children like that. No action was ever taken against the kids who beat my child up several times. I have no clue why this woman was even working with children, she should not be allowed near them.

Posted May 13, 2013

I think this school is excellent. I have a first grader and a "Kinder" and both love their teachers and the school. Is a place where "everyone knows everyone" in a positive way. Great learning environment. Great Special Day Class program--one of the best!!!

Posted October 25, 2012

In my opinion, this school is way better then most in the sacramento area, I moved to pacheco in oct. and noticed an improvement in my sons school as soon as we arrived, his teacher however, Ms. Ford, Kindergarted teacher, came off as rude, impatient and very standoffish. I had three incidents the first 3 days of my son being there just with the teacher! she need attitude adjustment besides her, my son loves his new school and new enviroment. Parents and Children have a amazing attitude, Only thing holding me back from 5 stars is teacher :(

Posted April 26, 2011

Totally disappointed with the principal's lack of appropriate leadership, lack of follow through and general lack of knowlwdge of how to deal with children overall! The teacher assigned to my childs class also lacks experience for that grade level and I would not recommend this school to anyone. My child will be moved from this horrible school as soon as possible. They operate on punative rather than uplifting and inspiring the children! I am appauled at the way this school is run!

Posted April 17, 2011

My children have attended HVE for 4 year. With few exceptions, the teachers have been solid, superstars - really working within the limitations of NCLB to develop creative, interesting curriculum. From the beloved music instruction of Ms. Brown to the gentle SST coaching by Kirsten Watson to a strong parent volunteer corps, the school is a dynamic & rich place of learning. There is a wonderfully positive, hopeful atmosphere at the school thanks to the luminous & kind leadership of the new principal, Sandy Bruketta. She deserves huge credit for the enormous morale make-over of the staff, parents & the children after a somewhat discouraging few years of leadership. Finally, no review is complete without kudos to the front office staff - Lorie Robertson & Kathy Kearns - always there for our kids!

Posted December 8, 2010

My son has a great 1st grade teacher McCoy!!!! In most cases the school seems to be ding well. My biggest concern is that they are not all that organized when it comes to functions and regisration....there is a way to make it much simpler then it was for me and my family. I have had some issues with a Kindergarten teacher and talked with the principal but nothing has been corrected about this issue. It would be nice to have more follow up when issues arise on the campus. The people are generally nice and the students seem to be great!!! I hope that things will turn around with the new principal, she could do a good job I believe. The campus is beautiful, always clean and friendly atmosphere as well....

Posted May 18, 2010

Mrs McCoy is a Great Teacher! Our daughter loves her and she has done a great job this year!

Posted May 4, 2010

I have been a HV parent for many years now and am so very proud to be a part of such a great school.

Posted May 3, 2010

I love the passion of the teachers. The campus is always clean. The students are respectful. The parents are very involved.

Posted May 3, 2010

Love the diversity that HVE offers my child!

Posted May 3, 2010

Just about every person at Hidden Valley Elementary School has a positive attitude. Teachers, staff, kids and parents alike are happy to be there. Not only do I feel this way, but both my son in 2nd grade and my son in Kindergarten feel the same. They've love their teachers and the school staff and have always enjoyed the idea of going to school every day. If it wasn't such an awesome place to be, I have no doubt that our mornings before school would be a much different experience. The teachers and staff are intelligent, compassionate, and creative people. Not only do my children make lots of friends, I have too. The parents are good people. I think we all feel that we found a gem of a school and thank our lucky stars every day that we such a positive environment to bring our children to every school day. Thank you Hidden Valley Elementary for making this big part of our life so wonderful!

Posted May 3, 2010

The staff is wonderful! They treat each child as a person, respecting and helping them. They are willing to listen to ideas from the students and implement feasible changes that the students suggest, all the while keeping the children's safety and education as their most important goal.

Posted May 3, 2010

Great school! Love the teachers, parent participation is excellent.

Posted May 3, 2010

We love our school Hidden Valley because they truly care about our kids!

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students58%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

500 Glacier Drive