Menlo Park, CA
After care: No

Posted September 25, 2014
Mid-Peninsula High School has been a god-send for my son. We're SO glad we found it! The school is fully accredited and more than 90% of the students go on to 4-year colleges. The teachers make sure the students understand the material. This is refreshing, since at our local public school the teachers were too busy for much one-on-one help. Also, at the local public school my son got lost in the shuffle and did not feel confident to approach the teachers outside class. At Mid-Peninsula High School the staff is approachable and supportive of the students. They make it their goal to inspire the students in whatever subject they teach. My son feels worthy as a student! The other thing I just love is the fact that they have resources like college counseling and SAT prep right on campus. They have a full gym, soccer fields and lots of competitive sports opportunities. Parents at Mid-Peninsula know one another and get together throughout the year, forming close ties. I would highly recommend this school to families whose high school student would benefit from small class size, engaging classroom environment and tons of on-campus resources.

Posted May 22, 2014
After a frustrating middle school experience (not frustrating for my son who enjoyed the "challenge" of doing as little as possible), I was looking for a high school that my son could graduate from with the option of going to a 4-year college and where he would have a regular high school experience. As an independent thinker, he had a few criteria of his own for any school he would consider such as no uniform and no religious affiliation. Wondering how these many conditions could be accommodated, I happened upon a gem of a high school called Mid Peninsula High School. The teachers at Mid Pen are wonderful and they have a great system that allows them to keep track of each student apparently seamlessly. One of the best things about the school, and something I had not even considered when signing him up there was the college application process. While my friends were tearing their hair out over their kid s college applications, I was able to sit back and put my feet up (finally!) because it was handled entirely at school through their awesome college advisor. Now I am the happy parent of a student who is successfully holding his own at a well-regarded 4 year college.

Mid-Peninsula High School 2

Posted October 08, 2011
This school works well for students whose parents are willing to curry favor with the administration. It maintains high ratings by kicking out the kids who don't fit in.

Posted May 02, 2011
When you get to the point that you and your teenager cannot agree on how to move ahead through high school, Mid-Pen steps in and provides a safe environment for teenagers to address their "issues" without the family confrontations. Wise and caring faculty guide students via a stong advisory program. Failures become learning opportunities or chances to work through school problems on the student's own timeline. We may be loking at summer school to achieve full credits, but with much lower stress levels. There is plenty of meat and challenge in the curriculum to engage students where they want to be met. Our student's self-esteem has risen through an all-inclusive sports program that encouraged trying two new althletic endeavors during the first year at Mid-Pen. Visual arts and the robotics club have also supported our student's passions outside the classroom. As a family we have been warmly welcomed to the fun-loving Mid-Pen community. Parents supporting parents and a strong counseling program create a baseline of "normalcy" in the crazy teenage years. Rich parent -ed opportunities abound with internal and external events taking place regularly. Check it out !

Posted December 06, 2010
The high school experience shouldn't be about survival, hoping to emerge in four years with an acceptance letter to college. Mid-Pen understands this. It provides a solid college-preparatory program, but the emphasis is on the here and now, not on what's going to happen after high school. Students are on a first name basis with their teachers, who are among the area's best. The atmosphere is caring and compassionate, allowing students to flourish. My child is thriving in ways I never expected.

Posted November 09, 2010
Success! What a joy it is to have a child come home to tell me that it was a great day again! Mid-Pen has offered enough structure for learning to take place along with a complementary flexibility to meet my child's needs. Stress has been replaced with enthusiasm and an interest in her academics. Teachers are consistently caring, prepared for classes and know their students.

Posted November 09, 2010
If you have seen the documentary, Race to Nowhere, you know how crucially important excellent teachers and innovative curriculum are to learning. Mid Pen embodies both of these essential ingredients in creating and delivering upon a first-rate education. Small classes, project based learning, committed teachers, and a full range of sports, arts and community service are the elements that make the Mid Pen community thrive. This isn t just a school for kids who haven t found an environment that brings out the best in them; this is an excellent environment for bringing out the best in all high school students!

Posted February 09, 2009
Our son was having a difficult time in the Palo Alto public schools, primarily because of the large class size. He really needed some individual attention. After he struggled for too long, we found Mid-Pen. It was just what he needed and within a few months he turned around completely and went from dreading and hating school to really getting into it.I wholeheartedly recommend Mid-Pen

Posted February 08, 2009
Students who attend Mid-Pen come from all over the Bay Area. My son is in 9th grade and takes Cal Train to school from San Jose. When I spoke to the Head of the School about my son s learning style it was refreshing to hear him articulate what I had tried to explain to teachers and administrators for years. I am not an over protective parent I just know my son has a unique learning style that is not easily reached in an overfilled traditional classroom. My son is thriving at Mid-Pen! Social connections that had completely broken down in Middle School are now back on track. He enjoys going to school and talks about what he is learning in normal conversations. It is quite different from the boy who told me, just last year, that people would be embarrassed to be seen in public with him.

Posted December 16, 2008
My son is in 9th grade at Mid-Pen high school. He is now a model student who is happy to get up and go to school in the morning, and is getting 4 A's and a B in his college prep curriculum. In middle school, he would not do his homework and he tried his best to get out of going to school. Things I like: small class size, no more than 15 students in a class room at a time, means teachers have time to focus on each child and his/her independent learning style; dynamic teachers who get and hold the kids' attention; 9:30 a.m. start time lets teenagers get the sleep they need; no teasing policy strictly enforced makes for a safe learning environment.

Mid-Peninsula High School
1340 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA  94025
(650) 321-1991
Last modified Mid-Peninsula High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Mid-Peninsula High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top